Preserving Green Peaches

I had those big green beetles chew up parts of my far from ripe peaches. Of course, I wanted to do something with them and looked up some recipes. I just canned a batch of green peach salsa - very basic, using onions, a bell pepper, peaches, salt, and vinegar.

Have you done something fun with green peaches? Let me know please and if you have recipes, I highly appreciate them.

P.S. many of those green beetles are no more. The chickens really liked them 😉

Comments

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Several years back I canned the small green peaches I had removed to thin them out. I left them whole, skin on since they were young and tender. I did a vinegar, sugar and spice brine and water bathed them. I didn't try them the first couple of years because I was afraid to lol. I refrigerated a jar and tried them when I got my nerve up and they are amazing! I will look and see if I saved the recipe (I was terrible about that until the last year or so). I will look around in my laptop and will post it if I find it. Your recipe sounds wonderful. The young or green peaches have a lot of "peach" flavor.

• MarianneWest
    MarianneWest Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

@seeker.nancy that sounds like a great way to preserve them. This year, with all the rain we got in California, I had huge crops and I was traveling when it was the right time to thin the fruit. Having some recipes on hand for handling an overabundance of green fruit sounds like a great idea.

Now, I want to try some of your peaches LOL

Sadly I did not find the recipe. If I wrote it down on paper there is no telling where it is lol. Yes, sadly Mother Nature waits for no one but like you did, we just try something different.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

This is a great idea! I've never tried canning my green fruits, but it sounds like it's worth trying!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I didn't know it could be done. Now only if we could grow peaches here.

• MarianneWest

@seeker.nancy no worries. I never find anything I wrote down either - at least not when I am looking for it LOL

And I might just experiment if I end up needing to process more of the green ones.

• MarianneWest

@Merin Porter

It seems that a lot of cultures eat green fruit on a regular basis. Papaya salad comes to mind. Also, I used to live in a house with a huge loquat tree. For each ripeness level we had a different group of people coming by and ask for some fruit. Southeast Asians liked the green loquats with salt and hot sauce - I have to say that I never developed a taste for that. But the green peach salsa turned out good. Next time, I will add more heat - a couple of jalapenjos maybe :)

• MarianneWest

@Laurie

I know that peaches are yummy and grow nicely here, but we can't grow a bunch of other stuff 😀 What do you like to grow?

I love to grow most anything lol, but especially herbs. I've moved to an area with heavy clay so I'm still learning the how's. I'm used to growing in sandy loam. Gotta say digging a hole here is way more work lol. I have a fig I planted last year, it was very small. I have a goji berry plant, the usual garden food things, my herbs...and ROSES! I love them as well. I think I have 18 right now. I try new things each year but I have planted roses at nearly every place I have lived. I tried various succulents last year but don't have a handle on them yet. I used to have a lot of African violets but they do not do well in this house...too dark and/or too hot/cold by the few I have access to but I'm still working on it. What are your favorite things to grow?

• MarianneWest

@seeker.nancy I like to grow things I can eat LOL

Roses are great. the only thing about so many that grow roses - they use so much chemicals on them. But I love rosehip jam (haven't made it from anything in my yard yet) and the pedals are beautiful in drinks and on salads. I like edible flowers a lot - let's just say I like to eat and like to grow as much of my food as I can - at least, that is the goal.

Yes some people do use a lot of chemicals on roses. I use an organic rose food and if insects or mildew or whatever happens I have a spray I make using Bronner's soap, essential oils, and tinctures in water. That way if I want to make rose petal tea I can do so without poisoning myself lol. I don't strive for perfection in the roses, I just try to let nature take its course. So some holes or spots on the leaves are okay as long as the plant isn't too stressed out. Fortunately this had worked so far. I grow varieties that have a nice smell. If a variety says it had little scent I move on my way. I agree, growing as much of our food supply as possible becomes more important every day. I like edible flowers also. I grew up on a farm and my father was a high school science teacher who knew almost every plant in the county. I used to follow him in the pasture and he would point out different edible plants or those with interesting qualities or histories. I still freak out my kids by tasting plants not in a garden lol.

• MarianneWest

@seeker.nancy

I grew up in a garden as well - well, not a farm but still, we ate out of the garden a lot. Knowing wild edibles is so important and for the most part, they are way more nutritious than anything we can grow - and less work LOL

I also will pass up roses that don't have a great scent. But they are on their own for survival :)

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@MarianneWest and @seeker.nancy

your green fruit starter conversation gives me hope! In the PNW I’m either too eager or the rains destroy fruit crops early so now I won’t be afraid to steal some green fruit before a downpour so I get SOME harvest💕

As per your rose conversation I thought I would link one the articles found on the grow network website. It has some great, fun, easy recipes to use fresh and dried roses. I only have 3 standards and 2 rugosa, 2 bouquets and 1 climber...I think I need to add some more!😉

oh and my favorite way to eat fresh rose petals straight out of the garden is to spread butter on a slice of homemade sourdough bread, layer with roses and sprinkle with sugar. It was a childhood favorite and I still enjoy it!

heres the link:

https://thegrownetwork.com/12-uses-for-rose-petals-from-the-kitchen-to-the-boudoir/

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

In Japan they pickle an unripe fruit called ume; its somewhere between an apricot and a plum, I think. It's a salt cured pickle. When I visited Japan I saw a lot of unripe ume at the local produce store.