rain, rain, fabulous rain! 🌧🌧

mtview42
mtview42 Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

We are finally getting some much- needed rain! I am sure many of you are struggling in this drier climate and i would love to hear your thoughts about how you are drought proofing your veggie gardens? It is coming up to another dry Australian summer, and I am contemplating the best crops to be growing with our now limited rainfall😕any ideas? Thanks heaps 😀

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew okra in the Nevada desert along a south facing house wall. The plants did fine and even flourished the best when temperatures went above 100 degrees F. They received relatively small amounts of water. The plants are lanky with pretty purple flowers, so the fruits are a bonus.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

Looking at our garden here, I'd be so happy to shunt some rain back over the ditch to OZ!!! Hahaha

Having said that, we often have dry summers but not to the same extent. Not sure what part of Australia you are in, but I know Marjorie had some good ideas for creating coolness and shade for her livestock, you might be able to incorporate some of them for your situation?

• drpclarke
    drpclarke Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

I live in Zone 8a and we have been so dry and hot this summer. I have had to water my gardens everyday except for the 3 or 4 days that we were lucky enough to get rain. The added heat this summer makes it much worse. I will say that the sun and heat have been good for the silage tarps to kill the bermuda grass, but I would love some consistent rain.