Companion Planting Combos

Anyone here interested in or currently using planting companions throughout their garden? If you happen to be new to this term, a companion plant is a plant that you sow in conjunction with another crop to help boost fertility, ward away pests, or attract beneficial insects. The overall aim is better health and productivity of your harvested crops. I thought I would start a thread for people to list combinations that they have found to work well together so that others can try them in their gardens if they choose :)

Here are three combos that I have found to work well in my own garden (zone 5): 1: Tomatoes, Sweet peppers, Basil, Marigolds. 2: Brussels sprouts, Onions, Chamomile, Dill, Marigolds. 3: Parsnips, Leeks, Onions, Carrots.

After being overrun with cucumber beetles last year, I am working on a good combination to help prevent this. This year, I planted my cucumbers with diakon radish, dill, and marigolds. I can say that I have rarely seen a cucumber beetle this year (yay!), but I am also not getting nearly the cucumber harvest I did last year either (even though I have planted the same number of plants, they are healthy, and there are plenty of flowers)... Wonder if I overdid it and am warding away some of my pollinators as well?! Back to the drawing board again for this one next year :)

Comments

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I have basil growing next to spearmint this year, and the basil is not happy. Does anyone know if spearmint proximity is a problem for basil?

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

Both Basil and Spearmint can be grown next to any other plant, no known dislikes.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I have the random basil plant pop up everywhere due to letting my first two plants seed out 3 years ago. I have had only the rare cucumber beetle but the pollinators are mostly absent this year. I had to hand pollinate my cucumbers. And bees and other pollinators love the basil flowers. It is alarming the decrease this year.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I began growing in what matches, like tomatoes, basil, oregano, parsley, and marigolds. Soooo, if I am thinking sauce from spaghetti, the ingredients are together, and they love growing together.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Thank you merlin44; that's what I thought. I appreciate the confirmation. My husband has been watering the basil from above and I think that's the problem.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

I first learned about Companion Planting in 2002 or so and have been doing various combinations of it in my gardens (container, raised, in the ground), for family and friends, as well as clients. I have various combinations that I have used in the past and for the most part I do not like reinventing the wheel so every year is different, however, these were some combinations that I did in 2016 for a client:

• Tomato, Basil, Carrot, Pea (in the late Winter to early Spring and put the tomatoes near the peas), Marigold, Parsley, Zinnia, Sunflower, Sage, Nasturtium, Fenugreek, Borage
    • Radish, Cucumber, Eggplant, Okra, Pea, Nasturtium, Cilantro, Bush Bean, Borage, Cumin
    • Onion, Cauliflower, Kale, Mustard Greens, Brussels Sprout, Carrot, Marigold, Borage, Cumin
    • Spinach, Mustard Greens, Strawberry, Radish, Eggplant, Cilantro, Bush Bean, Borage
    • Sweet Pepper, Hot Pepper, Carrot, Okra, Sweet Marjoram, Sunflower, Crimson Clover, Basil
    • Pole Bean, Corn, Squash, Eggplant, Marigold, Carrot, Summer Savory, Nasturtium, Borage, Sage, Dill, Pumpkin
    • Squash, Bush Bean, Borage, Nasturtium, Sage, Dill, Watermelon
    • Pumpkin, Bush Bean, Radish, Buckwheat, Nasturtium, Oregano, Dill, Watermelon, Borage, Corn
    • Spearmint, Cauliflower, Kale, Mustard Greens, Garlic, Peppermint, Stinging Nettle