What are you preserving this harvest season?

One of the things I find most exciting about the harvest season is the ability to put food up for the leaner months when I'm not growing much of anything (I always have some kitchen herbs, but that's it!)

Last night I canned 5 jars of tomatillo salsa, which we love for tacos at my house, and tonight I will be doing the last couple jars of dilly beans, which I love year round! I also have the dehydrator going right now full of celery, which I bag up and then use for flavoring stocks and soups all winter.

What are you preserving this week for eating later?

Comments

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Just finished our garlic for storing today :) Will be starting on chili base later today to put up...

• MaxFax
    MaxFax Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

Garlic is a high priority around here, too! Have you heard about fermenting black garlic? I am thinking of trying it.

Also, I am saving seeds from crops and drying them to grow again next year. It is a great way to save on having to buy seeds later.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

@eugeniaschoenheinz I haven't heard of black garlic - is it just a different variety??? We save seed as well - I have onion and radish seeds right now actually on my counter from our garden awaiting my attention :) So nice to find heirloom varieties that grow well and you don't have to keep purchasing new packets!

• circleoflifeunlimited
    circleoflifeunlimited Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

This week harvesting lots of zuchinni. Just finished garlic harvest. Also drying a lot of herbs like nettles, mints, oregano, pigweed, true french sorrel, etc! Lots to harvest now. Dry lots of herbs and wild foods for winter use, make salves, and also make organic alcohol tincture. Am eating mostly off the land right now and I love it!

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

Last month I started lacto-fermenting garlic in a salt water brine...I am doing a 4 week ferment for it. Last month I also started making an apple mead. I have been drying herbs and flowers throughout the year for herbal teas. I am also making jellies and jams with some of my harvests too. I made an infused oil earlier this year with Comfrey.

• DeeperEating
    DeeperEating Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

I am super interested in infused oils myself. One of the skills i'm hoping to add this winter!

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@bejer19 For my Infused Oils, I add the whole dry material whole and Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a Mason jar and then let it sit for a minimum of six weeks. I keep it on the windowsill in the kitchen (it gets the morning Sun) in a brown paper bag. I shake it vigorously a minimum of four times a day. I then strain into amber or dark green glass Extra Virgin Olive Oil bottles.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is preserving, but we have lots of berries in the freezer, both wild and cultivated- black raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, mulberries, and gooseberries. I love eating gooseberries straight from the freezer. Like tangy sherbert.

We've dehydrated heaps of zucchini, and a small batch of strawberries.

I've lactofermented one batch of hot peppers, and plan to do several more.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

I had a fig day! Fig sauce, fig preserves, strawberry and fig jam, fig leathers, and dried/dehydrated strawberries and figs. On Tuesday it’s going to be all about Plums!