Porridge/Oatmeal recipes

Do people love rolled oats as much as we do, especially in winter? Do you have a fav recipe? This is mine, serves 2

3/4 cup rolled oats(pref organic) Tablespoon(tlbs) golden paste, tlbs honey, 2tbls chia seeds, tsp cinnamon, 10 prunes, 1 banana, 2tsps ashwaganda powder. Mix with water in saucepan, serve when cooked. Top with coconut milk and yoghurt. Keeps us going all day and super healthy. Even friends who are not really porridge lovers have a crack at this one. If you've got any other suggestions, please comment.

Comments

• smockv
    smockv Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

Please excuse me, I am not sure what Golden Paste is. Could you please clarify? Thanks, I would love to try your recipe. I make steel cut oats in my slow cooker overnight with, apples, cinnamon, cloves, and brown sugar or molasses. It's the best!

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

Growing up my parents would cook oats, add Granny Smith Apples, raisins, cinnamon, and then we would add yogurt when it's finished. I started eating oatmeal again as an adult some years ago and I do variations depending on the season and what fruit may be available. I cook thick rolled oats in a sauce pan and sometimes add season fruit (fresh whole cranberries, fresh whole red mulberries, Granny Smith Apples) for a minute or two while it's cooking. When it's finished I add Ceylon Cinnamon, a little bit of Clove powder (not much), a little Nutmeg, a tablespoon or more of Blackstrap Molasses, and some yogurt.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

It definitely wasn't porridge, but I did try something interesting with rolled oats recently- chicken scrapple! It was actually really delicious.

I also love oatmeal cooked with raisins and apples.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

Overnight oats with cinnamon and apples is one of my favorites.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin
    edited October 2021

@smockv, golden paste. Tumeric 1/2 cup+ ground peppercorns 2 tablespoons + water 1/2 cup+ healthy oil ( olive or MCT coconut etc) 1/2 cup doesn't need to be exact but mix organic tumeric powder and pepper and water in saucepan, simmer then add oil, cook on low heat for 5 mins. Resembles paste like consistency. Put in container in fridge. We use every day in porridge or smoothie, curry, casserole. Great for brain health, arthritis, general daily health regime. Even the dog gets a teaspoon full in her dinner. Sometimes I do a double batch, freeze 1/2 and always got it on hand. Also great in a cake mix. Human consumption 2 teaspoons per person per day.

• smockv
    smockv Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow I will have to make some up; thank you for the recipe!

• RICHARD
    RICHARD Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

I like bananas and walnuts in my oatmeal. You can even make cookies using the same ingredients. Equal amounts of mashed ripe bananas and uncooked rolled oats, blended thoroughly and then baked at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Simple delicious, you can add nuts, cinnamon, cacao chips etc.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

Oatmeal season is here again! I was going to start a new thread, but found this one that ought to get going again too. The weather suddenly turned cold, wet, blustery here. A bowl of hot oatmeal, cooked up with my own dried fruit, some chia seeds, cinnamon, ginger and honey, milk on top, along with a mug of hot herbal tea, was the perfect breakfast to brighten this dreary morning--pure luxury.

There are so many ways to use oatmeal, from breakfast through supper and dessert. What's your very favorite recipe?

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Honestly, I really prefer steel cut.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I'm with you, @judsoncarroll4. Steel cut oats, soaked overnight. Cooked in the morning. A sprinkle of salt and some heavy cream. Now that is a divine breakfast.

All this talk of sweeteners and other add ins is "sacrilege" to a Scot. :)

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

O mostly agree.... I like a little molasses sometimes. Molasses is bitter/sweet and very nice with butter, salt and cream.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@MaryRowe this is not a breakfast recipe but a popular Australian biscuit (cookie🙄) the Anzac Biscuit, made from rolled oats and golden syrup. A debate on wether they should be chewy or crunchy still rages, (I like crunchy) very easy to make.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder What an interesting article! I really enjoy learning about new-to-me food traditions. Clearly what I need to do now is make up a batch of the basic recipe, then divide it up in small lots to try out as many of the variations she mentioned as I can!