What did you harvest today?

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Where I live, I can't grow cherries like that. I would take all your extras. I would gladly pick them all!

I picked 6 gallons of nanking cherries and they are now in the freezer. Add to that, raspberries are now coming into full swing. Black currants are too, but the sparrows always get them first. I might get a handful if I am fast this year, but it is a large bush and they are small berries.

I recently harvested some rhubarb that was still harvest worthy.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Well, my signal is bad, so editing isn't going to work.

I was going to add that I have one bush of white nankings. They are very tasty, almost like a grape. These come from red-berried nanking bushes, so when I first saw white, it was quite a surprise.

I like seeing the two colors in a pail together. I think that they look very Canadian. 😊

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

For some reason, I was never able to successfully grow melon plants. But this year things changed. 2 weeks ago I was harvesting cantaloupe and today I harvested my first homegrown watermelon! A 20 pounder no less! I also harvested green onions. This is the first time I've tried growing those. Oh yes, and harvested more tomatoes.

• spowell07
    spowell07 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

todays harvest was all about herbs and getting ready to head into fall in my neck of the woods. We brought in basil, garlic, parsley, citronella & elderberries. Woo hoo I’m seeing pestos and elderberry syrup in my very near future and some citronella oil too.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Berries --- (usually have Raspberries from June 14 to November), & Blueberries ripening at intervals for a prolonged harvest too. the regular Quinault strawberries got neglected, but the growing field Alpine strawberries, (tho tiny in size) taste divine 😀. Still waiting for 6+ other kinds of Berries to grow enough. And earlier the Black currants were out of this world YUM --- as well there are Greens, & Cherry tomatoes up to 4 kinds.

And various herbs that are still patiently waiting... for me to figger out what I'm doing with any of them.

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

My container tomatoes (red cherry, yellow pear, and Brad's Atomic Grapes) are going wild! Eating them fresh daily! The in ground maters aren't doing as well, but there is a HUGE Brandywine I'm waiting to ripen, and some of Dad's Sunset Oranges coming close. I have some volunteer mater plants coming up, but IDK that I will get much if anything from them, but we will see. It looks like I will have to hit the local farms for stuff to store. I didn't plant a whole lot this year cuz we thought we might have to move. But my gardening buddy neighbor has had a dismal year too. The weather was wonky this year, and not only affected us home gardeners but the 'big' producers as well. If you haven't already noticed rising food prices, expect them soon.

• ines871

Hi @Grammyprepper - Around here, when homegrown food is erratic, personally just prolong my daily 14-hr. Intermittent Fast, to even longer LOL Ketosis comes in handy, in more than Healthy ways. - Anyway you were soo missed. Welcome back !! 🤗 Glad for whatever you are able to harvest. -

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Yum, cherry's and carrots...making me hungry (:

I picked the oranges from my tree as it's struggling in the drought. I then picked a Romanesco Cauliflower, some purple top turnips, white baby carrots, white parsnips and a small harvest of macadamias and a few handfuls of other bits and pieces.

We are finishing winter and coming into what appears to be an early and very dry spring.

• ines871

Yum, @Alison can we all join you for a Snack, or 3 :)

• Teresa Klepac
    Teresa Klepac Posts: 24 ✭✭✭

Marjory, What zone are these in? I would love to grow cherries but I live in zone 8b and I thought it was too hot for them!

• Teresa Klepac

We planted about 12 okra plants this spring because we were told that okra did not do well in this area and we wanted to make sure we had enough. Oh my goodness! Do we have the okra!! I feel like the Bubba Gump of Okra! It's always nice to have a couple of successes in your garden to make up for the disappointments that you will also have every season. I have decided that gardening is a numbers game. It's important to plant more than you need and a variety of types if you have the space. You never know what is going to thrive or when.

• Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I get to keep my grandson's for 3 days next week so I will pick apples, pears and grapes with them. Oh my I do have lots of all these!

• Blair
    Blair Posts: 46

didn't get a garden in this year; but have harvested thyme, spearmint, peppermint, lemon balm, wild lettuce, comfrey root, elderberries, black raspberries and still have a half dozen other things to get before first frost. just got some jewel weed and plantain ready for some homemade soap Monday.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Some Noodle beans and a few herbs. Between the ridiculous amounts of rain followed by high heat the weeds have gotten ahead of us. I still expect a good amount of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and ground cherries, if I can fight my way in. Ha

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday my mom and I picked green beans- Red eye fall variety. We had them for supper tonight and they were delicious

• ines871
    edited August 2019

Hi @Grammyprepper today I harvested a few of the summer/fall crop of Raspberries (the 1st. crop of June+July is done, & yellow), plus some more very-healthy Blueberries, & a few Strawberries (in 1 of 4 pallet-wood planters) , so am offering you some of each, or all if you like...

Enjoy ! 🙂

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

I need to find container compatible berry bushes (like dwarf varieties). I've been hesitant to plant berries because we rent. I love berries of all sorts! Thanks for 'sharing'!

• tonya.beech
    tonya.beech Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Found LOTS of wild elderberries. Brought a lot home for syrup and organic gummies but hadn’t harvested myself. I am sure so many of you are novices and I AM NOT! Hard to get a lot of stems out when stripping, any tips would be appreciated. In south Alabama don’t know many who harvest these? If there are please let me know. Proud of my 5 1/2 quarts and will have at least that much more. Thanks so much for any advice 😊

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

10 minutes in the herb garden yesterday morning filled my dining table up with Oregano, yellow lavender (yes, yellow/green!) and purple Spanish lavender, plus so much chamomile. Time to get drying!

• ines871

Hi @Grammyprepper - my photo above was snapped for other friends, just like you 🙂 who did not believe in various circumstances they could grow such foods. - So in this photo you can barely see What also grows behind there, but when you look really close: Notice by the Shed-wall, the red berry clusters, they are Red Currants, & a tiny Goji-berry, etc. & guess what: they grew in POTS 🤩

in fact most of our Fruit-bushes, & fruiting trees even, have been growing, & the Bushes have blessed us with fruits, yes in pots for 5+ years, truthfully. - And 80+% of them a not 'dwarf' varieties; nope standard size.

In another of my discussions https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/841868/food-foresting in my 1st. post, the 4 potted bushes slightly to the left up front in that photo, those four + bushes (usually by the house wall) produced... the highly nutritional & Yummy Blueberries I offered you in my hand in above photo.

I can write more later, time for bed now, as my day starts about Sunrise...

• Teresa Klepac

We are experiencing triple digit heat and no rain so that garden is just about done. All of the vines died back so we harvested the rest of the butternut squash, watermelon, spaghetti squash and pie pumpkins this past weekend. However, the okra is still going strong. We are picking approx 20-30 pods daily from 10 plants. We also are continuing to harvest all the peppers - cayenne, jalapeno, bell, banana and pequin.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okra gets happy when the temps are above 100. We need to find more plants like that.

• ines871

Hi @Grammyprepper - not knowing the area of your outside Rented space : how many 2 to 3 gallon pots could/would you fit in ?

Now the S-neighbors (whose 1 of 2 guard dogs have cleared the fence as I wrote about in the Tracker-thread), - they survive off the typical SAD-diet, & never touch homegrown foods. -- Well, guess what ! - they have a Grape arbor that every summer sprouts massive vines & leaves, & since they hate organic anythings, rather than them totally destroy this magnificent blessing, I suggested they just let the whole 35 foot thick hide-away crawl over the fence into our garden, & they said "sure". - So yesterday I braved the Wilds (lol) in that part, & could barely believe: there are 20+ pounds of green seedless Organic grapes starting to ripen in that jungle, while they don't want any. - Aww, going to share with friends this weekend while teaching folks at the State fair "Why & how to make Healthy soil" - wish you were here, I'd share the grapes with you too 🙂

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tomatoes and habanero peppers. All summer long I didn't get the first pepper and now I have tons!

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

About 30 lbs of potatoes, loving this garden thing.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

I harvested 3 tomatoes. Not much but with the heat we have had lately, I am surprised I still have anything.

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

I harvested some peppers too! Jalapenos, Santa Fe Grandes and Lemon Drops. I'm going to make lacto-fermented hot sauce. I did some last year and we just ran out. Perfect timing!

I also did a second harvest in our cabbage patch and am going to make sauerkraut with them. I made my first ever batch of sauerkraut from my first harvest and it came out so delicious and perfect I decided to do it again. Mmmmm Can't wait!

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Getting this photo took and unbelievable amount of self restraint!!!

This was a tad bit easier... and these guys are going into a pot to simmer and then be canned. Yum, yum!

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Tomatoes, and some basil.