Marjory's weekend project 2018 09 02 Harvesting cannabis plants

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
edited November 2018 in DIY Tutorials
Hi Marjory

Good to see, if you want to save the hassle of growing male plants just sex your seeds with a pendulum just establish which way it swings for a yes or no answer and then you are right to go ,this also works with seedlings i hope this helps cheers Michael .

Comments

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Marjory
    DIG UP THOSE ROOTS! and use them in your medicine..whole plant medicine means roots too. Cannabis roots are potent medicine in themselves

Cannabis roots are known to be rich in triterpenoids (friedelin and its derivate epifriedelinol specifically) Both are abundant in nature and are known to have significant anti-inflammatory activity. the roots of cannabis also contain monoterpenes, such as Carvone & Dihydrocarvone, which mainly show analgesic effects. Back in the day, I came up with a great salve for pain using cannabis flowers, roots and other herbs that reduce pain, reduce inflammation and literally melt the pain away.

The same lab that can test your bud can test your final product as well.

Ive been making cannabis medicine for as long as I can remember (before it was popular and fashionable to do so lol) You can always PM me or call me (you have my number) :) Which base is better for what use, the differences between infused oils and extracted oils etc.

Happy Healing
    Heather
  • bmaverick
    bmaverick Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Nice work up there is cool CO this time of year.   As for drying, is it similar to drying Mullen on a rack?

Where our first homestead was, we had sooo much Arnica.  Now, in our present location arnica isn't around here.   But the Mullen is plentiful.

Looking forward to further helps here.  Wish I was in a location that had that freedom to grow plants as medicine vs. it being a controlled or outlawed substance.   All plants were given by our Creator for our medicine and food.  Thus, keeping it pure and good for it's use is the blessing.
  • Desire’
    Desire’ Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing.  I can't wait to live in a state where this is legal but its never to early to start learning.
  • Marjory Wildcraft
    edited November 2018
    Hi Michael, Heather, BM

Oh Michael, thanks for the pendulum suggestion!  I will try that next spring when it's time to plant.

Heather!  Yes of course (slapping forehead here)...  yeah... you are right.  I think next time I'll simply rinse off the roots before bringing them into the drying room.  I'm back in TX now (with not weed on me of course) and so I won't be making medicine for a little while.  CUrious as to what you suggest for how to make medicine from the buds I've harvested.  I was thinking a simple infused oil?

BM, it's coming to your State soon.  My bet is the Texas will the last of the 50 - LOL  Definitely a reason to be in CO.  Well that and all the public spaces for backpacking :)

• H_D
    edited November 2018
    Marjory,

Making medicine can be as simple as throwing your plant matter into a mason jar with your menstruum and waiting or as complicated as using a fancy and expensive closed loop CO2 extraction process and everything in-between.

So what you should to do first is decide on what you are treating and on who (age, weight etc). That would allow you to make the best decision on what kind of medicine to prepare whether its oil based (for topical, internal and suppository use) or alcohol based (internal use usually only) or if you want straight FECO cannabis oil (what you use for cancers)

infusing the cannabis flower in olive or coconut oil or any fruit oil (because not everyone tolerates coconut oil topically) is great, and easy to make..(heat, soak, strain) great topically, great to cook with, great to eat, can not be vaped or smoked..simply a great base you can use then to make lots of other things with. great recipe ..since cannabis is fat soluble infuse cannabis into full fat coconut milk and use that in your Golden Milk/Turmeric Milk recipes.

Canna-butter is a little more labor intensive but also a great base to have around.

Cannabis Tincture aka Green Dragon..highest proof alcohol you can get (everclear 190 works as does organic grape alcohol for those that grain is a problem for) this also can be made using several methods depending on the time you have available. also another great base for further products and fancy drinks.

Some interesting info..In alchemy and natural healing modalities we all know there are three things that encompass everything. Sulphur (Soul), Mercury (Spirit) and Salt (Body).

in the plant kingdom this equates to the essential oils/organic acids of a plant (soul), alcohol made from a plant (spirit) and the mineral salts or physical composition of the plant (body) contained in the plant. These are the physical representations of the three philosophical aspects in herbal alchemy and most if not all holistic systems of medicine.

Alcohol is the only menstruum that has the ability to extract a plant's chemical profile at the same ratios contained in the plant. Alcohol(drinkable alcohol) is also only made from plants themselves. Therefore, alcohol is a solvent made by plants for plants. When I make this product (green dragon and for that matter any of my other herbal alcohol extracts) I finish it using spagyric alchemy. After the extraction, I allow the plant to dry and all the alcohol to evaporate off, then the plant matter is burned to white ash and returned to the tincture. The ash you end up is the mineral composition of the plant.

and now.. Some Chemistry....
    re-introducing the mineral salts (ash) has a neutralization effect on the organic acids of the plant. The compounds that were once oil soluble now become water soluble making the medicine more bioavailable to the body and thus more potent because you are absorbing more of it.

FECO extractions (not as easy to make and lots of different methods of extraction but stronger, more effective medicine, more concentrated and IMHO easier to dose accurately) would be more on the line of what you use to combat cancer and medically diagnosed diseases. (word to the wise: all cannabis is not created and cultivated equally and not all extracts offer the same level of therapy and cannabinoid profiles. Dosing is more about the milligrams of actual THC, CBD and other cannabinoids are available to the body from the medicine made, not the weight of the dose one is taking.)

For aches and pains, menstrual issues (i love cannabis infused castor oil packs, well...I used to LOL) and muscle tension I go for infused oil (olive, coconut, hemp seed oil, castor oil) products because when using topically the strength of the oil and dosing is not as important in the grand scheme of things than it is when you eat it. Plus It gives me the ability to add other herbs and essential oils for therapeutic reasons.

My only other rule in medicine making with cannabis is to extract or remove the trichomes from the plant material first (make bubble hash which can also be used in vaping or smoking or use another method to remove the trichomes) then use the hash to make the medicine. Cuts down on unwanted odor, unwanted color and other plant compounds being extracted also, not necessarily because the compounds are bad for you but often just makes things taste funny and look green.

save and/or freeze the big fan leaves you accumulate from the harvesting process and juice them (well more like pulverizing and add water I would make and freeze ice cube trays and simply add the frozen cube to a smoothie or juice recipe.. cannabis flower, ginger, apple, pear and carrot juice is wonderful) eat them put them in salads :)

Like I mentioned before dont forgot the root ball :)

Everyones got their own way of doing things..I dont think there is necessarily anything wrong with other ways, Ive made all sorts of oils, edibles and products with cannabis and cannabis resins over the decades ;) there are some key things that have to happen no matter the process..the cannabis needs to be activated (unless youre making a smokable product) with heat of some sort at some point during the medicine making process and you need a menstruum that is capable of extracting/infusing all of the therapeutic medicine from the plant. As long as those things are involved, medicine is made :)

Dont forget your own energy during the & harvesting process thank your plants for the medicine they are giving you and return something to the earth when harvesting, during the actual medicine making process infuse your own positive, healing and nurturing energy into the product.

Happy Healing
    Heather
  • Marjory Wildcraft
    edited November 2018
    Heather!  That was a download :0

I used to be legally blind (vision below 20/200) and over the years through all kinds of work I am not only nearsighted (it is now at about 20/80).  I am going for 20/10!  My understanding at thsi point is the main issues are in my nervious system - brain, macula, uh what is the name of the vision processing cortext in the back of your head???

I've been using the CBD soft gels we occaisionaly sell (and yes, I am still talking with Brian about white labeling the products you mentioned - thanks so much for that referral).  I feel that has been helping a lot.  And, being a serious DIY'er. plus knowing the power of growing and praying and interacting with my own plants...  I want to make my own medicine.

Wow, yes, perhaps a simple oil infusion into maybe the MCT oil that I put in my coffee in the morning, or in salad dressings, could be easy to do and effective?

Wow, I am going to need to have you create a cert on making medicine!

Hey, I have been meaning to circle back around to discuss your creating and offering courses....  It hasn't left my mind - I've just been busy :)

• H_D
    edited November 2018
    Marjory,
    Its the holidays NOTHING HAPPENS NOW LOL I promise not to hold it against you :) Lets revisit the certs after the holidays :)

Yes, infuse into the MCT oil you already use and it will be wonderful!

there is nothing more satisfying and rewarding (and of course I have some very powerful testimonies of regaining health as many of us do) than making your own medicine from seed to salt ash and back again :)

depending on the cause of the blindness..Cranio Sacral therapy works wonders for some. are you talking about the occipital lobe?

Happy Healing
    Heather
  • Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'm really miffed that I didn't get to see Marc's project!   Just tried his link but was told it was unavailable so I missed it.
  • Marjory Wildcraft
    edited November 2018
    Heather, just wanted to say 'thanks' for the bit about burning the plant and putting the ash into the medicine.  I made some infused cannabi oil / salve a few years ago (when I lived in Oregon) and was almost broken hearted with all the leftover green material and oil which couldn't be further used (it was a bit of a mess).  Maybe instinctually? I ended up burning it and saying prayers hah! and trying to breathe as much of the smoke as possible...  It did make a nice fire...  all that oil and the buds...  But now I realize I can burn it, collect the ash, and put that into the infused oils.  That step makes me happy :)

• H_D
    edited November 2018
    Cherlynn
    https://tranquilgarden.ca/childrens-garden-planter-box-ebook/
    I think this is what you are looking for :)

Marjory..I dont recommend burning plant material that has been infused or soaked in oils..just alcohols..the alcohol will evaporate out leaving dried material..the oil to so much..I wouldn't recommend vaping or smoking oil based products I can't imagine setting them on fire will reduce the pile to ash..just a carcinogenic mess (fire burns past the smoke point of oils think of what happens on your stove when oil gets too hot)

but you CAN bake dog or cat treats with that left over plant material soaked in the oil ;) my pooch always looked forward to medicine processing time :)
    Heather
  • Cherlynn
    edited November 2018
    Thank you Heather!  My daughter loved this page ad wants to do it with her son's next year!    Don't know how I was on one forum page and my comment posted on another page but it did!   Missouri just passed a law but we are waiting to hear if it was the one where we are allowed to grow 6 hemp plants or the other one that bans growing your own.
  • Cherlynn
    edited November 2018
    Thank you Heather!  My daughter loved this page and wants to do it with her son's next year!    Don't know how I was on one forum page and my comment posted on another page but it did!   Missouri just passed a law but we are waiting to hear if it was the one where we are allowed to grow 6 hemp plants or the other one that bans growing your own.
  • Marc Thoma
    Marc Thoma Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Interesting thread. It is now legal in Canada to grow a few cannabis plants at home and I do have a greenhouse, so somewhat tempted. However still bit on the fence about growing it. My wife has ulcerative colitis so just wondering if that might help her inflammation. Are you aware of any good info on what CBD oil is good for?

Is cannabis a beneficial for other plants? If you add for instance the foliage to your compost or make a tea from it, will it help vegetable plants?

As for your comments about eyesight, Marjorie, I was wearing glasses ever since my eye operation when I was a child and decided last year to simply stop wearing glasses. I'm nearsighted and since starting my blog two years ago I'm in front of my laptop long hours. I've found that for closeup work not wearing glasses has reduced my eyestrain and headaches. I'm now looking into the Bates method to improve my farsightedness. I still wear glasses for driving (mainly for the legal reasons, I probably would be okay without them but reading signs far away is harder). So interested in learning more on how home medicine may help improve my eyesight.

And thanks Heather for helping Cherylnn with the link to my ebook. I wrote it for just that result: getting children involved in gardening like my daughter. Looking forward to seeing what Cherylnn's grandson grows - hope she shares some photos of it in the forums here!
  • H_D
    edited January 2019
    Marc
    visit projectCBD.com for more CBD info and what it does when it interacts with your ECS.

As for beneficial planting. it is a waste to use cannabis in that way, its more efficient to plant companion crops to support the cannabis plant. Basil, garlic, marigolds, mint, beans are ALL fantastic companions to cannabis..basil being the favotire because of how it helps keep the pests away and beans because of the nitrogen it provides the soil. Nitrogen is one of the most common deficiencies in the cannabis plant when growing outdoors.

Ulcerative colitis responds best to a THC and CBD as their are both receptors present in the gut. The mechanism which science has been studying is that cannabis is used to treat inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract is via the interaction of cannabis and the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS amoung other things is responsible for the regulation of digestive processes such as reducing inflammation in the intestines, GI motility, the transportation of ions, managing the intake and uptake of nutrients, responsible for healthy cellular activity and growth, and controls gastric secretion.

If being high is the reason you dont want to use cannabis with higher levels of THC then a suppository is best, no psychoactive effects because it is bypassing digestion and liver processing. CBD will work somewhat but not as efficiently as a plant that has a higher THC:CBD ratio. Hemp CBD has not been proven to have the therapeutic effects as cannabis, this is because of quantity and levels of CB1 and CB2 receptors in the gut.

any other questions about cannabis and hemp feel free to reach out to me privately ;)
    Happy Healing
    Heather

• Marc Thoma
    Marc Thoma Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks Heather, that is great info. I've passed it on to my wife and we'll be in touch if she needs more info. She's actually right now going to the naturopathic clinic for acupuncture, so maybe she can talk to them about it as well - not sure how open they are to using it but likely much more open to it than her GI doc that just wants her to take more drugs.
  • WendySue
    WendySue Posts: 28 ✭✭✭

Oh my, I hit gold in this discussion! Thank you so much Heather and Marjory. I am struggling trying to find just crappy pot seeds. I have been growing cannabis plants in the house. It is soooooo illegal here in WI and this town is awful. It's only the leaves, didn't know about the roots, that help me with my pain. I tried several CBD products, but hemp oil doesn't sit well with me. Plus I get zero relief from CBD.

I'm taking notes from you all in this discussion. Would it be out of line to ask if anyone can spare some seeds? I'm not interested in the fancy stuff, just regular old pot seeds. I don't get any relief from the flowers either. Just leaves. I could give you a trade....mullein, stinging nettle, my first born...lol. I have severe pain constantly and especially at night.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW, is right!

I too just stumbled onto this. I have looked long and hard for remedies for chronic pain.

Could someone steer me to a beginners reference for learning how to grow cannabis for medicine that would eventually bring me to some of the outstanding info on this page? I surely would appreciate any and all help. I live in OK and it just became legal this year/2019.

The best to everyone.

• Midge
    Midge Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

Some great info in this post. My son in law just asked me about helping him make a salve and a soap with cbd oil. He wants 100 of each product to sell on his web page. I told him I have to think about it.

• Marjory Wildcraft

hi @silvertipgrizz I am working with a grower to create a certification for the Honors Lab. It is on how to grow medical marijuana in your backyard. I am hoping to have it ready within a few months.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Marjory,

This is outstanding news.

I sure wish there was something I could do to help you and I am surely looking forward to this.

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I want to plant cannabis, but where to start, how to source it? Pendulum needed now, where to find? By May need this! No rush, but v much looking forward to results ....great project!

• Marjory Wildcraft

Update: we are still looking for a good instructor for the cert. It seems every elad I follow doesn't work out...

Ha, ha, most of the best growers are stoners and not that reliable. 😶

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

There will be many of us eagerly taking this certification I'm sure. It was recently made legal her in Alaska as well. I first stumbled into a few folks making a CBD salve and was able to get several samples from her as she lives about 250 miles away. I shared them with my boss, the owner of the store where I work, several co-workers and friends. When we tried to contact her for purchasing I think we must have overwhelmed her. She did not respond to anyone for quite some time and when she did respond she sent a price sheet with a message that the prices were not current. LOL

We started looking for ways to make our own. There were all folks (including myself) who had never wanted anything to do with pot and getting high. Now my manager grows her own and makes a salve using it and several essential oils. It is not cost effective for us all to buy from her however. Looking forward to learning more about how to create my own medicines from it and finding the "right" types of cannabis to use.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@Marc Thoma so I’m not quite sure if this info would help your wife or not, but prior to heating cannabis THC is actually THC-A (a for the acid) which is not psychotropic and therefor does not produce a high and is also safe even during pregnancy. Being that her issue can be autoimmune and GI related why not just juice or make a smoothly from the leaves. Put them in a juicer or blender like you would spinach and have at it... couldn’t hurt!. Just don’t let the blender get too warm or the acid breaks away creating THC which could make you “fooie” as we say 🤪

also it’s good she’s working with naturopathic MD, a friend of mine had ulcerative colitis so badly he went home to India and sought help via food. He had been hospitalized several times and almost died. Came back 6 months later completely healed. His wife said he was the only person in their family that liked “American” food, she tried to warn him but he ended up so sick... he is totally on board now!

Good luck!!🙏🏻

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@H_D it sounds like you’ve got some experience making cannabis medicine. As a medical marijuana user I’ve infused a high CBD strain with coconut oil and used it topically, but nothing else. I’d love to hear what you’re doing with it. Hoping to get to Maine one of these days. There mm patients can grow up to 6 plants (with restrictions n regulations) for personal use. Am looking forward to be able to work with the green of the plant!