Do you want to live in a meatless society?

Have you, will you try the new meatless Impossible Whopper? What are your thoughts about the current attack on meat?

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Impossible meat is made with GMO vegetables, so I won't touch it. Also, I don't like bleeding meat, so that image doesn't appeal to me either. The attack on meat animals is based on a couple of things: the acreage needed to raise them, and the methane produced by animals that eat grasses. I am still a meat eater although I want the animals raised naturally, treated well and killed humanely.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Ditto. I have nothing against vegetarians or against humanely produced meat. I have plenty against gmo's and highly processed foods.

• MichaelAust
    MichaelAust Posts: 8 ✭✭✭

Agree with you both 100%! I love to eat meat in moderation and respect those individuals who do not eat meat. Humane stockmanship and being good stewards of the land is of great importance. I hate GMO's and processed foods!

• tammyrichardsmt9
    tammyrichardsmt9 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

I figure each person makes their own choice in what they eat and it doesn't bother me. I eat meat and I don't plan to change 😊

We try to avoid GMOs and processed foods as much as we can.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

I avoid GMO's so won't be trying the "Impossible Burger". I feel our concerns should be with shutting down factory farms, boycotting any company that allows mistreatment of animals rather than how much a cow farts. We can learn a lot from traditional Native Americans on balance with nature, how to respect and honor all beings we share this earth with. We take life from animals and plants to nourish our bodies but do we honor the life force their sacrifice gives us?

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

I've heard nothing positive about either meatless products and won't be eating them. I'm against raising animals under cruel conditions and have seen enough of it to understand why people are put off eating meat. The organic industry provides much more humane options and I don't plan on giving up eating meat any time soon.

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

As I've aged, I've found that I like meat less and less. I just don't have a taste for it anymore. I'm cool with a meatless society but voluntary, not forced. There are so many good dishes out there that don't require meat. I think it was just ingrained in us that you needed meat at dinner. Not so much anymore.

Just my 2 cents :)

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

I think it is impossible to be healthy eating junk food vegan burgers. Eat real meat, veggies/grains, n fruits. But stay away from the processed and full of oil "burgers. Or if you want a veggie burger, make it yourself so you can control the ingredients.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

There are some nutrients that us humans need that are only bio-available from animal products such as B12, and others which we absorb far better from animal products such as zinc and iron. This tells me that we should and need to eat meat for our own health and well-being. Large mono-crop farms which are required to grow vegetable protein are far worse for the environment than a few cow farts, as well as killing off many many small animals when the plants are harvested, so definitely not a humane choice.

There is also a lot of recent research about plant emotion and intelligence, so it doesn't matter what you choose to eat, you are killing an intelligent life form!

• shllnzl

You're right about the new research on plant intelligence. After hearing the author speak, I bought the book Thus Spoke the Plant by Monica Gagliano, PhD. I haven't read it yet, will probably post comments when I do.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Our take...we are heavy meat eaters. Actually, my husband & one son are. They find that without it and the fat contained therein, their bodies lack critical energy. We agree with naturally raised meat, no gmos. Haha, my spell check put "gross" in place of gmos, twice. Even it knows. 😂

We understand that the meatless burger, at least the version originating in Canada, is made of peas. Last I had heard, peas were not on the list of gmo here...but that may have changed. Unfortunately that is what seems to happen. I will have to ask my husband. The burgers, of course, will be heavily processed.

Since we enjoy meat (alive/on the table) and can raise it or buy it from someone we know and at a much more affordable price than meatless products, we will not ever buy meatless.

The methane argument is an uninformed city folks myth and is empty. Most people don't realize that this is only a factory farm effect, caused by corn, soy and silage feeds. Grass/hay/even proper grain fed (oats, barley) animals digest their proper feed more efficiently. If we as people ate properly, we would put out less gas as well. Nobody mentions that. Haha...and nobody ever picks on horses. They have more than their share. 😉

The acreage needed to raise beef animals is also a mute point as people "gobble up" more good farmland than an animal does building housing shopping centres, etc., and using good farmland to grow the crops for melting (fuels) and other really unnecessary things like canola oil. If raised properly, cattle are an important part of managing a property holistically, keeping a proper balance.

My post was not meant to offend anyone. Everyone has their reasons for their opinion & I respect if their view held differs.

• shllnzl

@Laurie You are correct. There is another side to the environmental argument against meat animals.

I got an interesting bit of information while reading The Plant Paradox by Dr. Stephen Gundry. According to him, half of the Tums produced in this country is fed to the cattle on the feedlots so they can digest the grains and junk they are fed before slaughter.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

While my WOE does not include meat, this was my body's choice, not necessarily my mind's. That said, the BK product seems to be a science project. It can't be a good food choice, as it is quite processed, though I heard tasty. Anyone else remember that other meatless burger, grown in a lab? Frightening!

• cre8tiv369
    cre8tiv369 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Absolutely not...

If that article is correct, and I believe it is, then a vegan diet makes a person dumber (ironic). I really don’t want to be around mentally disturbed or dumb people. So no, I have zero desire to be in a meatless society. We are omnivores and nature did not design us to be meatless. Nature always wins.