🦷 Natural Dental Care 🦷

I spent a decade of my life working in the dental industry. Needless to say, I also spent a decade regurgitating the "official" story so to speak. Basically, I just repeated what I was told to say. With that said, I must say one thing I did like about the dental industry is they definitely focus more on prevention through diet and daily brushing/flossing.

However, since moving on w/ my life and career...I've been down dozens of rabbit holes and have come out a completely different person on the other side.

Here is a post I made three years after I left the industry...

The article I shared via March Against Monsanto : https://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/03/06/how-root-canals-severly-affect-your-health/

🦷

🦷

🦷

I'd love if you could share your natural dental care routing...best tips...recipes....and anything else you think might benefit the community.

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped using fluoride toothpaste.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

I stopped using fluoride toothpaste in the 1990s but couldn't find too many good alternatives so for a little but longer i kept using it but sparingly. I have not willingly used fluoride toothpaste for myself since the early to mid 2000s and in 2014 partly through the encouragement of a female friend I embarked on the journey of making my own toothpaste. It was a combination of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Bentonite Clay, Spring Water, Sea Salt, and essential oil. I stopped making it after it became moldy on some hot Summer road trips.

I then started to make a tooth powder...in the 1990s I used just straight baking soda a few times but that didn't last long, so I decided to use Bentonite Clay. I looked into different plants that are good for your oral health as well as whitening teeth and now my tooth powder (not toothpaste) consists of Bentonite Clay, Ceylon Cinnamon powder, Turmeric powder (for whitening), Clove powder, Myrrh powder, Himalayan Sea Salt, and Fennel Seed powder. If I can ever get some Guava leaves I would like to dry them and then add to my recipe.

I also started to consume more fermented foods (they can be pricey so I started making my own in 2014); juice (I have a Jack LaLane juicer); eat more dark leafy greens, consume more foods with Magnesium, Vitamin A, and Vitamin D as they help the body to absorb Calcium; drink more water and herbal teas; consume raw honey; and more. I have also tried to consume more nutrient rich foods. I also did oil pulling for a short spell, used a Miswack stick (I have switched between different toothbrush products), am currently using a non-petrochemical based floss.

I also made my own mouthwash using Spring Water and various essential oils.

But for some of my actions I started too late...I had eaten a lot of refined sugar laced foods and beverages for a couple of years and it took a toll on my oral health, so I had to do a lot more to slowly but surely get myself healthier. And in doing so I did a lot of research to try to find out different things that I could do.

I haven't done it yet but I recall watching a video about parents who were juicing marijuana leaves to give to their infant child who had major oral health issues.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

I also gained insight and knowledge from watching Alternatives to Dentists DVD after I purchased it a couple or more years ago. Doug provided some really good information. I also purchased the kit and uses the products in in it and purchased Horsetail and Stinging Nettle.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, fortunately born+raised in Germany, we always benefited from our Nutrient-rich Garden foods... If we didn't grow it first, it did not go in our mouths. As a result of our Naturally-healthy lifestyle, the only thing we ever thought to use, was a thin stick, or a brush with only water, to fish out tiny seeds stuck between teeth. As a result none of us kids ever got cavities, & none of us heard of a "dentist".

And this is Identical to how Primitive societies live healthy too. That is, until they are Exposed to the Western (man-made, & deadly sugary junk) diet & life-style.

After being flown to the U.S.A. my mouth hung open in utter astonishment for at least nine years! re the Different realities I faced every single day: in Family-life, in Eating, in Schools, & most alarmingly in the sick industries that previously I had only 2 brief/1day emergency experiences with. Talk about culture-shock !

When some kind soul informed me that Flouride was yet another deadly poison, I said Why on God's green earth would I put poison... of any sort in my mouth ?? - And I refused. Not only that but in the past 45 years I've only been to a dentist 3x for something that industry calls "Cleaning". Why that? Beats me. -

so my "natural dental-care routine": Nutrient-rich home-grown foods, & keep a toothpick handy.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

I only use herbal toothpaste and have never had fluoride. I have just had all but 1 amalgam fillings removed, the last one will be early next year. I look forward to a mouth free of lead and mercury.

• spowell07
    spowell07 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

Loving all the comments and ideas on this thread. Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) is an herbal remedy that dates back to ancient Roman and Greek times. It was used traditionally to stop bleeding, heal ulcers and wounds, and treat tuberculosis and kidney problems. The name Equisetumis derived from the Latin roots equus, meaning "horse," and seta, meaning "bristle."

Horsetail contains silicon, which helps strengthen bone. And also helps strengthen and repair teeth. Doug Simmons is a very good person to research when your looking into natural dental care. He is also associated to the grow network and Marjory. As well he has appeared on varies summits and has a whole system set up on how to never see a dentist again or ever so to say.

• angelaclay509@gmail.com
    angelaclay509@gmail.com Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

@shllnzl I hate that fluoride in the dentist... I never get it I throw up whenever I get it. Maybe I should consider quit using it all together as well.

• angelaclay509@gmail.com
    angelaclay509@gmail.com Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

@rainbow love reading your responses they are so detailed and packed with so much good information! Glad to be on this forum with you.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @angelaclay509 Thank you for your repeated Kind words. And I think the same.

It is good Focusing our attention on expanding horizons, & while teaching Beneficial practices... also encourage each others growth... And you Angela do a really good job positively 🙂 encouraging others... Enjoy a Happy week !

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

We use a basic toothpowder of fine Himalayan salt, baking soda & sage (whitener). I cannot figure out how to grind horsetail fine enough to put in it. I can buy chopped horsetail, but not powder. I can't harvest it even though I know that there is plenty close by. It is sprayed heavily. 😕

How does stinging nettle figure into the powder? We have plenty...or had...I think that the cows may have stripped it all by now. Perhaps we can find some that they missed.

We used DIY topical magnesium oil for other problems and as a bonus, saw cavities reverse & even completely heal.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

@Laurie That is interesting about the magnesium oil, I will have to make some and see if that works for me. As for the horsetail, I have read that it is too abrasive to use that way. Does anyone else know about or have heard about this? I use coconut oil, baking soda, and essential oils of peppermint and clove. It works great.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@seeker.nancy buy Ancient Minerals magnesium chloride to make the oil. Make a saturated solution. Leave it on skin for 20 min. Rinse off. You may have to experiment to find where it will be least irritating to your skin. Feet are a good choice.

So if you don't use horsetail as a powder, how would you use it? I assumed it was just added in that form.

Okay, thanks! I thought you could just use Epsom Salt because unless you are allergic the sulfer is good for you as well. As for the horsetail, I had read that you take it as a tea for a couple of weeks then go off for several weeks. I really need to search and see where I read that lol. I read so many things that I just don't remember where it all came from.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@seeker.nancy I am the same. 😅 Too much information, too many great sources! I would be interested in your source, for sure, and preparation instructions, dose & all.

@angelaclay509 You are welcome. Nothing like self care & saving loads of money at the same time.

I just visited with a lady yesterday who had been incompacitated (sp) by MS some years ago. Then she mentioned that shwle began taking a supplement with magnesium in it. BINGO! I had heard of magnesium helping with that before. She is walking, easily moving proof to that claim. It is very amazing what adding just this one little thing can do.

@Laurie I sure wish I could remember too! It made me think using that herb, darn. Well here's hoping I can find it lol.

• Kohlk58
    Kohlk58 Posts: 0 ✭✭✭

This is just brilliant information about the natural dental care. It is the most important thing and if you want to have the best results then one must start following a dental care regime at very early age. I am also following a routine and also visit the dentist Manhattan Beach for regular checkups.

• Kohlk58
    Kohlk58 Posts: 0 ✭✭✭

This is just brilliant information about the natural dental care. It is the most important thing and if you want to have the best results then one must start following a dental care regime at very early age. I am also following a routine and also visit the dentist Manhattan Beach for regular checkups.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@seekernancy I have read that the type of magnesium that I mentioned give the most absorbed magnesium without side effects.

edited October 2019

@Laurie okay thanks! I've been using the Epsom salt one at night and I think it helps some but less than I thought it would. I'll have to get some of the other type of magnesium.

• Udi315
    Udi315 Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

I am seeing this a bit later, but adding in my 2 cents. Wonderful to see all of the different things people are doing to help keep their mouths healthy naturally.

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas

@LaurieLovesLearning

According to Doug Simons/Marjory Wildcraft in the Alternatives to Dentists, and the directions on the packet of Equisetum/Horsetail powder I purchased here through TGN, they recommend a teaspoon ("heaping" from Doug) for 5-10 days a month, then resting about 3 weeks. Fewer days if you just want to maintain a healthy mouth and enamel; more days if you have some oral health challenges. Doug also mentions in his teaching that you need to be careful about the type of Equisetum you use as some species have toxic components, and to be sure the source is from a clean environment.

------

Many years ago I went looking for a toothpaste that used natural ingredients and discovered a simple DIY toothpaste recipe of baking soda, salt, and a couple drops of an essential oil (which eventually evolved to just the baking soda and salt), https://www.diynatural.com/homemade-toothpaste/. I discovered that my mouth not only felt cleaner, but found my teeth get healthier and stronger. A smoker friend also found it very effective at getting rid of his bad breath and, appreciates how well it works when he has run out and goes back to regular commercial toothpaste. Now he's hooked. Getting rid of the fluoride was another BIG plus, especially since I didn't realize how dangerous fluoride was at the time.

I purchased TGN's DIY kit and really like using the tooth powder and added the kit's tongue scraper to my daily regimen. As mentioned above, I "fifth" (vs second...I think many others have already recommended) the excellent Alternatives to Dentists talk with Doug Simons https://store.thegrownetwork.com/collections/oral-health-support/products/alternatives-to-dentists. Doug is a knowledgable, clear, concise, and organized speaker and If you want to know more about the foundations of our living teeth, how they work and how to clean and care for them, and what to do if there are small cavities forming to dealing with a big abscess, this is pure gold. His talk has created a deeper respect for the dynamic nature of my teeth and mouth, and the wisdom of our bodies. It will be a lifetime reference for me and incredibly underpriced for its value. It will also support Doug and Marjory for sharing this wonderful information.

Though it seemed like such an odd and different technique, I have begun scraping my teeth according to Doug's instruction. This sounds similar to what @ines871 grew up with and from similar sources. I am still getting used to it and will need to continue to tweak it, but from what I've seen so far, my teeth look and feel very clean. It's also great getting to *know* my teeth beyond the cursory teeth brushing and flossing in the mirror looks, and 1-minute flash-look I get of my yearly x-rays at the dentist's.

I've also recently upped my Vitamin D intake to boost my levels (too low, like most people), and have noticed my gums seem healthier and tighter.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning that is intriguing about using the magnesium oil. I have used it for muscle cramps and such from time to time but never consistently. I usually apply it to my feet even though it leaves my feet feeling sticky. Oh well! Not such a big problem with all the advantages it has for health. Need to do it more often.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best thing I've done is brushing with fine baking soda. I haven't had a problem in at least 2 years maybe 3. In fact now my hygienist says she hates for me to come and her not have much to do so she removes stains if I have any.

I use toothpowder too which is really good, but baking soda is the deal maker.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Horsetail works well. Or, a toothbrush dipped in water and brush the teeth numerous times a day. :)

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

I loved LOVED these postings! So much information! I have been "trying a few things", now I have a better roadmap! Thanks for everyone sharing!