GMOs in organic food?

Check this out:

We've known that growing our own food is important for many reasons, but this is getting crazy!

Kathryn

Comments

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

You're so very right, Kathryn. Labeling will be useless.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Starting about 100yrs.ago, as 95+% human annihilation became their evil goal, increasingly they justify all abominations.

But GOD is not mocked. Thank God He will come, to Burn-down intentional murderers. And He will Create a new earth: global Abundance for all life-loving beings...

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

GMOs are designed to withstand Bayer/Monsanto's toxic chemical pesticides and herbicides and as long as they are using those on the crops, I don't see how they can pass them off as organic. Some of them, like corn, even create their own pesticide.

It's just really bad that we can't trust our own regulatory entities (USDA, FDA, EPA, etc.) to make decisions in favor of We the People. Especially when the chemical companies manage to put their own people into key positions in those entities, so that the decision making will favor their desires. Sad to say, it's all about the money. :(

• ines871

@Leslie Carl - Well, $ in & of itself shared... is okay. - But the LOVE/greed of $money$ & using it for greater power to destroy life, that is the problem.

• cre8tiv369
    cre8tiv369 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

The greedy and stupid will never stop being greedy and stupid. As long as there is the draw of huge profit in organic, the greedy and stupid will continue stupid efforts to exploit it. In a nutshell, this stupidity with trying to get GMOs into organic will not stop, and we will simply continue to say no and continue to be irritated by their stupidity. If and when the masses get a clue, and everything is organic, and food is no longer poisoned, and everyone finally learns that GMOs are stupid and bad, then, and only then, will they shift their stupid greedy gaze to something else they are obsessed with exploiting.

• ines871

oh hi cre8tiv369 - from your intro here Comment_841093 3 months ago where too many as 'ignorant' got voted Down, to now "stupidity" no less 8x used, Haven't seen you in two months, How have you been? - Good ?

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly this is true and has been a big debate within the organic governing body for some decades but the momentum has increased for biotechnology as we are now in the mindset that we need technology to help with everything including growing food, however, there is the Non-GMO Verified Project, Certified Naturally Grown (https://www.cngfarming.org/produce), and other labels/certifications that disallow the usage of GMOs and GE.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Yes, I believe "they" want us of that mindset that we must be dependent on technology to grow, dependent on big industrial farms, and unsafe products. Grow, be the farmer, help others to know the farmer, and help them to know their food. Seed save.

• ines871
    edited August 2019

Even with "100% certified organic" products, things can still get Tricky if you're not reading product ingredients... carefully. Worse, how many public schools teach such important life-matters ?, & most parents now also have no clue. - Teaching Nutrition-classes, you know that 1 of the biggest problems consumers have is Not understanding labels. - Heck, very few people even check any label, let alone have a clue what the label says, or not, & what such things mean... it's all part & parcel of the Dumbing down, & dis-easing... of the American culture.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

It is usually nutrition labels that are spoken of in that way. Those labels are useless and detract from the label that should be read & investigated...the ingredients label. We read those on a regular basis.

I learned not long ago that organic farmers can buy non-organic seed from conventional growers...it is cheaper. The problem is, is it going to be GMO at all? What about the nutritional value & viability? A seed grower here who, because of his specialty, uses less spray than most. He says that spray affects what is in that seed. If too much spray happens, his seed is not worth much. He refuses to use Bayer/Monsanto's products, but the other sprays, IMO, are no better. Anyway...that compromised seed (even if not GMO) is already in the organic supply system.

• Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Having been allergic to GMO foods as in my throat swells shut and I fight for my life from just one bite or in the case of bread just smelling it is enough to finish me off. I have long been aware that just because it's organic doesn't always mean that its GMO free. When I certified our farm as organic never once did they check my seed and what it was. They only concerned themselves with my fertilizers and pesticides. They could care less what the food is and what nutritive value it might have hence so much organic produce is grown in aquaponics with very little nutrition

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

In case anyone is interested in letting their voice be heard against genetic engineering in organic food; here's a link to an online petition/letter written by The Cornucopia Institute, to which you can add your name. They will be sending it to USDA Under Secretary Ibach and the House Agriculture Subcommittee.

https://www.cornucopia.org/2019/08/no-gmos-in-organic/

• ines871

Agreed. - And why I said " reading product ingredients... carefully. "

• Foodgardenguy
    Foodgardenguy Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Hi @circleoflifeunlimited - yes, ridiculous indeed.

It's not only the fact that GMOs are now in our food system, but I was shocked to read that glyphosate in Roundup and as crop dessicants are in our water and air:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-glyphosate-pollution/u-s-researchers-find-roundup-chemical-in-water-air-idUSTRE77U61720110831

God help us...

• ines871

Back on July 6th --- Already started a discussion on this subject https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/841894/while-growing-gardens-buy-organic . In the Intro I said:

"How deceptive ! Food industry companies are with what we assume... are organic foods. So when you look at the Label, you don't want to see :

anything inside brackets like for instance (paprika powder), or colors, extracts, flavors, 'Celery powder' & Citric acid &

("natural flavors" are 40-100 manufactured chemicals), &

'Rosemary extract' & , & sanitizers & herbicides & pesticides etc ... are allowed in ever increasing 'organic' foods,

even as they merely REname chemicals no sane person ever wanted in their food to begin with.

And in the USA commercial-farmers (of any profession) have the highest suicide rate."

Maybe when I listed them all together in one continuous statement, this my earlier discussion was not added to (until 1 comment today 5 weeks later), because it was too overwhelming ??

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Hooley Dooley. I certainly hope not.

I know in Australia GMO's aren't used for organic foods.

I think it shows the importance of buying a good source of non gmo/ heirloom seed and seed saving.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

I don't want to be the dark cloud at this organic party but here's something that has bothered my for a long time. Several years ago I read an article about the pollen from GMO corn (I think it was corn) growing in the southern USA being found in non-GMO corn growing 20 miles away in Mexico. If memory serves me, this was at the time that GMO was out there but not widely planted, and Mexico had said no to the USA GMO corn. When they (Mexican government officials?) found this GMO contamination in their corn they determined that the closest GMO corn was on the north side of the border where they were doing field trials with it. Anyone else remember this?

Sooooo, if pollen from GMO corn is still viable 20 miles away, how hard is it to actually raise a non-GMO crop of corn? There aren't many places around here, central Missouri, where you can get over 20 miles away from farm fields that are presumed to be planted in GMO corn. Since they don't have to put a sign out saying they are growing GMO, if there are no weeds in the corn field, I just assume it is GMO. If we are defining organic as non-GMO, then is there really any organic corn out there? Hand pollinating maybe?

I'm not throwing this out there to be hateful, hurtful, or for any mean reason. This is something I am genuinely concerned about.

• ines871

@dottile46 re: "Sooooo, if pollen from GMO corn is still viable 20 miles away, how hard is it to actually raise a non-GMO crop of corn? ... If we are defining organic as non-GMO, is there really any organic corn out there?"

You are correct in Questioning whether, or not there's "organic corn" anywhere still available. I asked that same question of our neighbor back in 1999, & his answer saddened us. A friend of his, a food-scientist with experience in such educated our neighbor: "gmo corn pollen is now global. The only way you could have non-gmo corn is if the plants are grown INside a Sterile room, & that only happens in a Lab. So the good ole days of pure corn as we once enjoyed it, are over".

• ines871

Rare is the person who does not enjoy yummy Corn-on-the-cob, & corn-bread, & corn-chowder, etc... so it was hard for us to take that bad ^ news, But for "healthy-gut, & thus Immunity" reasons, we stopped corn products over time. - For 10+ years we ate no corn-products (that we were aware of anyway). Then about 5 yrs. ago we just had to try it again. We bought 4 kinds corn-seed "Heirloom, & Organic" and could hardly wait to harvest it. (Not mixed with other foods), ate only the corn alone, as we wanted to know that it was okay. ... But rather quickly we got gut-issues, so sad to say we have Not knowingly ingested corn-anything since.

Corn is wind-pollinated, iow very vulnerable to contamination—the pollen from its tassels can travel like 50 miles. Genetically modified corn is causing contamination... of non-GMO, organic, & heirloom corn varieties, with irreversible damage to its genetic purity... For the purposes of saving seed, any GMO contamination is unacceptable because the contamination will increase exponentially in each successive generation.” - here's Good grower's experiences & field-reports: https://non-gmoreport.com/articles/february2014/saving-heirloom-corn-from-GMO-contamination.php Yes, one could hand-pollinate & along with the other what ? 9 steps, but what common Home-gardener has got the time for all that, for a single veggie ??, when lots of Nutrient-rich veggies & fruits can be home-grown, at 1/10 the trouble.

• Foodgardenguy

Hi @dottile46 I believe I came across the same article and just like @rainbow decided as a family to stop corn completely. It's sad because we all loved corn (Who doesn't? I can almost taste it now with all that juicy butter and seasonings over it).

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

@rainbow "here's Good grower's experiences & field-reports: https://non-gmoreport.com/articles/february2014/saving-heirloom-corn-from-GMO-contamination.php"

That's where I get the majority of my seeds! Guess I will just have to learn to hand pollinate.

• ines871

okay. IF that's what you really want to do.

But considering our bodies (Skin+Lungs+Kidneys+Digestive System+Liver+Lymph+Mind) from moment-to-moment already must Neutralize & eliminate untold many Toxins, just for us to survive... yet 1 more day, - why add yet another ! known Risk (glyphosate) into the mix, when corn is not even needed. -- Iow, without corn, we can be even Healthier... our family decided this was the better choice.

• ines871

Did anybody see this: "A Missouri farmer blamed for running the largest organic food fraud scheme in U.S. history, has died from carbon monoxide poisoning suicide, weeks before he was to report to federal prison to begin serving a 10-year term.

Randy Constant falsely marketed non-organic corn and soybeans as certified organic on a massive scale. Overall, from 2010 to 2017, he sold more than 11.5 million bushels of grain, or enough to fill 3,600 rail cars, prosecutors said.

Constant owned an Iowa-based brokerage, which sold his grain primarily as feed for chickens and cattle. Those animals were then marketed for their meat and meat products that were advertised as organic.

U.S. District Judge C.J. Williams said during the sentencing that Constant’s fraud did “extreme and incalculable damage” to consumers and undermined confidence in the nation’s organic food industry. He said consumers were fooled into paying extra to buy products ranging from eggs, to steak that they believed were better for the environment and their health. Instead, they purchased food that relied on farming practices they opposed, including the use of chemical pesticides to grow crops... " https://apnews.com/41b42b957dae42ff96624f9a1a237def

This is yet another, of untold 100's reasons why People should increasingly Grow our own food...

• Foodgardenguy

Hi @rainbow , Thanks for this. Yet another reason indeed - that we cannot trust what we get from the store anymore.