Favorite zuchinni recipes?

Hello Friends,

Zuchinni is coming on strong so wanted to learn some new recipes using it!  Anyone have favorites that you would like to share? 

This morning I made a quiche with zuchinni and other veggies.  Eggs and veggies from my farm.  That is nice!  It was good, grandkids were here and liked it too.  Planning to make zuchinni bread using coconut flour.  If it turns out really good I'll share the recipe!

Kathryn

Comments

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

This post comes at the right time. Someone just gifted my elderly father two huge Zucchinis from their garden but he doesn't like to eat them at all. He was just too polite to say "no thanks". I made three loaves of Zucchini bread for him today and plan to freeze it in portions. Tastes like banana bread and you don't have to like Zucchini to enjoy it.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

We like dehydrating zucchini. I use them as chips for dip, and my mom likes them for zucchini lasagna.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

When I have an over abundance of zucchini, I manage to grate them and put them into lots of recipes. Quiche, frittata, cakes, fish cakes, spaghetti sauce, lasagne. They are also great baked and on the bbq. You can also fry them up with some garlic and olive oil and freeze them.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zucchini coated with olive oil and then grilled is quite delicious.

• sallyhoward
    sallyhoward Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

I like grated small zucchini mixed with beaten eggs, spooned into and fried in olive oil, like a hash brown.

• circleoflifeunlimited
    circleoflifeunlimited Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

Yum! All great ideas. So far I have been making dried and also baked zuchinni chips. They are both really good.

To bake the chips, just slice up the zuchinni, throw the slices in a bowl, add a Tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt, mix it all up, and bake at 400 o. You could add other spices too, like garlic powder. You have to mix them now and then while baking so that they cook evenly. This is the way my grandkids really like zuchinni.

Kathryn

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Chocolate Zucchini Cake:

• 2 cups flour
    • 1 cup cacao powder sifted
    • 2 teaspoons baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    • 3/4 cup oil
    • 1/4 cup melted butter cooled
    • 1/4 cup buttermilk/ milk
    • 3 large eggs
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 2 cups shredded zucchini
    1. Mix all dry ingredients together
    2. Mix all wet ingredients together.
    3. Stir through zucchini
    4. Put in prepared tin and cook in moderate oven

I don't use any icing etc. Other options - get a basic cake recipe and modify a little by substituting some flour for the cacao pwd and add some grated zucchini until you are happy with the consistency....more my true style (:

This makes a very moist cake which even the fussiest of kids won't turn away.

And

I also grate it and add it to spaghetti sauce.

If you have a really fussy child or adult, you can cook it and then puree it to add to a dish.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited August 2019

I shared the confetti cake recipe in the beet thread. I have also made zucchini relish & fried it as you do green tomatoes.

My mom made an "orange" marmalade with hers.

• Karyn Pennington
    Karyn Pennington Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai (I've used Zucchini Noodles too! I use a cheese grater and steam them - Probably need about 6 small to medium)

Ingredients

For the pad thai:

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast

1 large spaghetti squash

2 large carrots, grated

1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced

4 green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup cilantro, plus more for garnish

1/3 cup chopped unsalted peanuts

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

For the sauce:

1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

1/4 cup rice vinegar (or substitute white vinegar)

2 tablespoons lime juice

3 tablespoons honey

1/4 cup tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and guts. Drizzle the flesh side with olive oil

and place face down on a baking sheet. Bake for about 45 minutes, until you can stick a knife in easily.

When squash is done, remove from the oven and let it cool for about 5-10 minutes. When it is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape

out all of the spaghetti squash, until all you have left is the skin. Set the squash in a colander for about 10 minutes to drain all of the excess

moisture.

In the meantime, make the sauce. Put all of the ingredients for the sauce into a small saucepan and whisk to combine. Put over medium-low

heat to warm. Don’t let it come to a boil, just keep it warm while you are cooking the rest of the meal.

Now cook the chicken. Cut the chicken into small pieces and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat,

add the chicken with 2 tbsp of olive oil, stir occasionally until chicken is lightly brown.

Add the peppers, carrots, green onions and garlic, and saute for about 3-4 minutes, until vegetables are tender-crisp. Add the drained

spaghetti squash and the sauce to the skillet and stir until evenly distributed.

Remove from skillet and put the squash mixture into a large bowl. At this time, add the peanuts, and cilantro. Stir.

To serve, garnish with a few more peanuts and cilantro.

Nutrition Information

Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 3/4 cup

Per serving: Calories: 274; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 40mg; Sodium:

698mg; Carbohydrate: 27g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 15g; Protein: 20g

Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 462mg; Vitamin A: 151%; Vitamin C: 46%; Iron: 11%; Calcium: 11%

• DeeperEating
    DeeperEating Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

I don't have a recipe, but last year I had incredible pickled zucchini at a friends house. I'd had it before years ago and thought it was good then too. Great on sandwiches, eaten by itself, or put on a plate with cheese and such.

Both times I had it the zucchini was cut into strips which seemed to work well and was nice and tangy.

Does anyone else out there pickle zucchini and want to share a recipe? I'd love to try my hand at making my own this year and my friend didn't have a recipe to share, she just "does whatever."

• hmsadmin
    hmsadmin Posts: 123 admin

@Karyn Pennington Thank you for sharing your full recipe! Paid thai is one of my favorites, and something I miss a lot when cutting out carbs, but with zucchini noodles and some minor changes, this will be perfect! 😄

My all time favorite thing to do with zucchini is simple baked chips. I don't use a recipe or anything, just douse them in a good oil (or melted butter), add spices of whatever sort you want for that batch, and lightly sprinkle some parm or other cheese on top, then bake in a 350f oven till they have some golden brown color (about 15 mins in my oven). 😍

• ArleneWoods
    ArleneWoods Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

I tried to type this up several nights ago and when I was almost done, my phone went dead! So I will try again... this is the recipe my son thought was cheese sticks, until he tasted them. He was so surprised when he found out that it had come from our garden!

2 medium zucchini

1/4 cup flour

3/4 cup of fine bread crumbs (I use Italian or sometimes crush up croutons.)

1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

1 Tablespoon minced chives

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion

2 eggs

Preheat oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. (I sometimes use foil.)

Cut zucchini into 3" pieces, and then into 1/2" spears. Place in a plastic container and add the flour, shake to coat. ( I put the spears and flour in a gallon baggie and shake to coat.)

In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, chives, salt, pepper, and onion. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs.

Dredge the zucchini spear first in the egg, then the bread crumb mixture and arrange pieces on the prepared baking sheet so they are not touching.

Bake until the fries turn golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.

My family eats them like this, but you can also eat them with different dips. Ranch is good, or marinara. I'm allergic to peppers, but I'm told these are great dipped in a red-pepper marinara.