Plant Based Milk- An Alternative to Dairy Milk

Sandra C Nwankwo
Sandra C Nwankwo Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Cooking

Theses days, almost everyone I know is either allergic to dairy, is lactose intolerant, or as the trend is these days, must have gluten free food. Speaking of dairy-free, do you know that you can make milk that is plant based? You can make milk from the following plants- Soy, almond, rice milk, and coconut milk. I know what you are thinking: "There are nuts! I'm allergic to nuts!" Calm down.

First of all soy milk, from soy nuts, is a good source of natural vitamin A, vitamin B-12, potassium, and isoflavonoes. This quality is great for people who are lactose intolerant and need those much needed vitamins. Plus, the isoflavonoes produce the natural estrogen hormone which helps alleviate menopausal symptoms (WOMEN TAKE NOTE!). Plus, soy milk can be fortified with calcium and vitamin D. Thirdly, soy milk contains as much protein as cow's milk, with fewer calories. Perfect for those who are obsessed with staying fit. Fourth, unlike cow's milk, soy milk contains very little saturate fat. Weigh loss searchers out there, I present to you your alternative drink so, go crazy!

For those who have more than enough protein in their diet, almond milk is the milk of choice. As long as almond milk is unsweetened, it has lower calories that other milk types (sweet toothers, listen up!). Also, it has the added benefit of being saturated fat-free and naturally lactose-free. To the lactose intolerants out there, can I get a whoop, whoop?! Plus, it is a great drink for those in a vegan diet. Almond milk is a good source of vitamin A and can be fortified to be a good source of calcium and vitamin D as well. Even though, almond nuts is a good source of protein, almond milk is not. Plus, the milk may contain carrageenan, an additive used in manufactured almond milk today, that causes digestive issue in some people. Your best bet is to make the almond milk yourself to avoid this issue.

Coconut milk is another plant-based milk people can take. As an extra bonus, it is not a nut so, people with nut allergies can rest easy. For those who have allergies like there is no tomorrow, good news! Coconut milk rarely causes allergies. It can be fortified to be a good source of calcium, vitamin A and vitamin D. Its popularity is due to the the medium-chain triglycerides, a type of fat that coconut has that helps with weight loss. Nevertheless, the fat in coconut is saturated fat, so drink with care.

So far, I have discussed plant-based milk derived from nuts (and pseudo-nuts; 😉). Milk can also be derived from rice. Rice milk is the least allergenic of milk alternatives. Like other plant based milks, rice milk can be fortified to be a good source of calcium, vitamin A and vitamin D. As a carbohydrate, rice milk is naturally sweeter than other milk alternatives. Thus, rice milk is the least desirable choice for diabetes.

So now you know that there are other types of milk other besides dairy milk. You can watch how to make these plant-based milk sources at Youtube. It is easy, simple, inexpensive and most of all, fun! Enjoy.☺️

Comments

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know where the above Introductory Article came from. The slippery slope of GMO is illustrated in this Harvard paper: http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2015/from-corgis-to-corn-a-brief-look-at-the-long-history-of-gmo-technology/ : SOY was made GMO back in 1996. And RICE, including "Golden Rice" was also made GMO in 2000 . GMO products begin their damage in the Digestive tracts.... of beyond insects also in any animal we could otherwise eat, and also us humans: by causing Leaky gut, which then leads to even more food Sensitivities, and eventually it can serve as another major trigger to cancer...

Almond milk, as organic is way too expensive ! for the average consumer. And most non-organic Almond milks have chemicals... added that makes the product also not safe to drink

Of those listed, the Best "milk" is any Coconut-variations: especially Cream, & Milk.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

Coconut milk is good in coffee. For the expensive almond malk I wait till the grocer has a yellow 1.50 off coupon. I have not tried it yet but you can make nut milk easily from nut butters by just blending with water.

• Karyn Pennington
    Karyn Pennington Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I haven't had a glass of milk in I don't know how long. I discovered a sensitivity to casein when my youngest was born (he's 23!). While I have had milk in things, it's been a long while. It's not digestive issues for me, my face breaks out in cysts -- I learned (slowly) that it just wasn't worth it. I have used almond milk for cereal, but for the most part don't eat cereal and use water for oatmeal.

I always have coconut milk on hand for making soap and I use that for recipes that call for a creamy sauce -- it's so yummy.

I can tolerate a small amount of milk in say, a cream sauce, but at this point, it doesn't even bother me to pass it up. Cheese is another issue, but it's also rare that I treat myself to cheese -- I stick to goat cheese, which doesn't have the same protein.

I've never missed it enough to try to make it myself, through I know many people do that. I just don't desire it enough to take that kind of time.

I avoid soy because of GMO and the type of breast cancer my mom had, so that's out too.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for talking about the downside of soy as far too many products these days have soy added to them and people think that by using soy they are providing themselves or others with something that is good for them.

One can also make your own oat "milk" and i am sure there are other grains that can be used. I have a cookbook from the 1970s that is focused on healthy food and making things from scratch. I would suggest if you are going to consume "plant based milks" then make your own as what they sell in stores (even health food stores) are primarily synthetic chemicals that no one should consume.

I personally haven't had milk in I am not sure how many years and there are many plants that provide Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Vitamin A.

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

I soak my almonds over night, rinse, add water, and then blend with some coconut and a little bit of coconut oil. It makes the milk taste wonderfully creamy - so much better than the watery nut milk you can buy in the store.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gennywu - Wonderful ! - and Where were these Almonds grown, California ?

How much do you, or anyone else pay for Almonds ? - both Organic, & Non-organic , - Do you buy one pound ? - or 4 lbs. in bulk ? - or what ?

• Foodgardenguy
    Foodgardenguy Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

In regards to milk substitutes, we use:

Raw milk from pasture-fed livestock (cows, sheep and goat). Note there is a huge difference between pasture-fed and organic.

Nut milk from organic almonds, organic cashews (expensive) and sunflower seeds or sesame seeds (more economical).

You may add some cold pressed virgin coconut oil to your nut milk.

• angelaclay509@gmail.com
    angelaclay509@gmail.com Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

@chinazo88 this was super informative! I like cashew milk... but my favorite is Soy but I do have issues with my cycle so maybe I need to research this further. Almond milk is nice... Would like to sample some others.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soy can be GMO product. It has phytoestrogens that can be bad for estrogen receptive cancers. It can also interfere with thyroid function. I try to avoid it for all those reasons.

• DeeperEating
    DeeperEating Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried making oatmilk? I haven't but a friend was talking about it as the only milk alternative she uses because it's so cheap and easy to make and seems to work well for her in all of the ways she wanted to use a milk-like liquid. I don't have a problem with milk typically, but we also don't really use or keep any in the house. Seems like oatmilk might be nice for my morning smoothie though or as a creamer substitute. Not sure!

Would love to hear about others experience!

• pseabolt
    pseabolt Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Lots of food for thought here. Now I’m off to go research how to make oat milk.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Hey there, Recently I made oatmilk recently. I was concerned with all the 'other' ingredients in store bought milks, plus the prices are high for our budget.

It was fairly easy and ohhhh so creamy. I used a clean old tshirt for the straining. One could possible use a nut milk bag?

I didn't pre-soak the oats, due to reading of potential slimness. Oats are naturally sweet, so I just added a pinch of salt.

Enjoy :)

• pseabolt

@Hassena so you were satisfied with it? How did you use it? I'm just curious whether you used it to cook or like in a smoothie or in coffee... I guess I'm just curious how well it "holds up" in real life. It certainly looks cheap and easy enough and when something looks cheap and easy I'm always afraid that there is a big drawback that I"m not seeing. Lol

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Soooo much here, I am onto it! Totally dairy-free (with gd reason- T. Colin Campbell & book China Study) Using many alternatives, almonds (just put in blender w water), soy nuts (organic,I do not use these), coconut milk, sparingly because of high fat content, cashews blended for dressings (of salad) & sauces, never add any OIL per se, use dates freely (also be careful for weight loss), will get onto the oat milk surely (I have much on hand, went to above McDonald website, vegan). I cook without oil (any liquid oil), and have none of it in the home-environment is everything to me (if I do not use something, it is not to be found in my place at all)

• pseabolt

@2majomix let me know how it works for you. I'm getting ready to leave for work and will probably stop at grocery store on the way home for rolled oats and dates.

• one.ette
    one.ette Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

Just fyi

Oats are soaked in glyphosate right before they are harvested to kill and dry them quickly. No way I would ever knowingly eat any oats, or soy for that matter, that are not organic.

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Hey, wait up...my oats r organic, and soy can be found organic, also...pls do not give in so easity, that is what gmo people want! Youngsters now belive (if they have heard gmo companies), that everything we eat is gmo, it is disgraceful!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I drink coconut milk which I have made from unsweetened coconut and the coconut cream is marvelous. I was told that you take hot water and add unsweetened coconut flakes to it and let it sit overnight. Then strain out the milk through a sieve. https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-coconut-milk-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-201774 This is a link for making coconut milk. I use it for cooking, baking, smoothies and in any way I have used milk in the past. The only thing I haven't done is make hot cocoa with it. Has anyone else made hot cocoa with Coconut Milk?

• Hassena

Well we didn't buy anything except the rolled oats. No big investment. :)

The oat milk was so very thick and creamy, I put it in smoothies. I think almond is the only nut milk that doesn't curdle in coffee. When I drink coffee it's black. I think my brother mentioned the curdling.

Anywho...if I did it again. I would dilute the final product to be less thick and creamy. It's supposed to keep 5 days. However we drank ours in about 2-3 days. It's messy, squishy, but didn't take long at all.

We fed the remaining oats pulp to the dogs. I guess you make pancakes or cookies with it too.

Give it a go. :) let us know please

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hassena I read something recently (sorry, don't remember exactly where) that said that coffee was good for you BUT could leach minerals from your body if you drink it black. A little real dairy in the coffee prevents minerals from going anywhere. This may be another case of our ancestors figuring out something and tradition carrying the knowledge forward. Luckily for me, I use cream to cut the bitterness; I use almond milk with whip cream topping for my iced coffee.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

@Dianne Petersen, I make hot cocoa with coconut milk. It is rich and delicious. I don't make my own milk though, I use the Aroy-d coconut cream and dilute it.

• Hassena

@Dianne Petersen We made coconut milk a few times. What an adventure that was?!?!?! I am not convinced it's totally worth the price in the store. :)

It took a lot of time to drill through the coconut to get the milk, then blend in the meat. It was delicious.

HC with coconut milk does sounds really good.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blevin and womba where do you find the Aroy-d coconut cream? I have never heard of it. The store price is out of sight that is for sure but I have been using that kind for awhile now. I am just trying to find a cheaper alternative. Also a less gassy one.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Amazon. If you have an Asian Market near you you might be able to get it there. It like because it is very rich and has no additives. It is just coconut and water.

the price fluctuates quite a bit, but pretty often I can get it for $4-$5 a quart. It is very concentrated so that is a better deal than it sounds.

A couple of pointers if you do buy it: 1.It does not keep fresh long after it is opened. I usually freeze whatever I won't use within two days. I freeze some of it in ice cube trays, which is very convenient when I just want a few tablespoons for a drink. 2. Some batches are lumpy. When you heat it, it will smooth out.

• Hassena

We make the oat milk. Perhaps there was another recipe posted. This came out so creamy and good. Oat milk is my fav. Since it contains tryptophan and is naturally sweet. Our oat milk came out very thick and creamy. Next we make it, I will dilute the finished product a little. Def double strain it.

https://minimalistbaker.com/make-oat-milk/

It was delish! :)

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@ines871 Braga organic farms - nut store in madera California is where I get my almonds and they ship. I also soak n rinse almonds at least 8 hrs, rinsing at least once. This makes them digestible. I add one cup of soak nuts to 3 cups of water and blend on high but not purée. Then I strain through a nut bag to remove pulp which I save for nut bread. So yummy.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

The difference between factory produced milk and fresh raw milk straight from a farm with happy cows is amazing.

For those in Canada, Real Raw Foods (https://www.realrawfood.com/) has raw organic nuts and seeds and nut bags. The nut bag is a little expensive, but worth it. Mine has lasted over 10 years, and I use it regularly.