Fruit Tree - Organic Sprays

Hey! So, I just bought 10 new fruit trees to plant this weekend. We are super excited to start building our orchard. Anyone have any tips on organic sprays that have actually worked to keep the bugs off? I don't have much to worry about now, but I will come Spring and I want to start preparing ahead of time to ensure these trees have the chance to be as healthy as possible.

Thank you in advance! :)

Comments

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

One of the easiest and cheapest ways to keep pests off of your trees is to develop healthy soil. By having healthy soil you can have healthy plants. Another thing that is easy to do is to plant native flowers in around your orchard along with other plants that can and will attract beneficial insects (including pollinators) and/or add additional nutrients to your soil

I think that we have as a society have forgotten than an "ounce of prevention" goes a long way.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nikki Follis Bar none, the best & cheapest way to keep microbes & pests off your trees is by Enriching your soil. 🙂 Healthy soil means Healthy plants . Once you have healthy soil, you can add Native flowers with deep Tap-roots that further bring Minerals... (inorganic compounds which are what makes any soil healthy) to the ROOT tips of your young trees. Additionally Native flowers attract beneficial insects (including pollinators) which when allowing harvests... in that process also stimulate the trees to further strengthen their Immune systems. which is how your trees naturally are empowered to ward-off disease.

This is why, when I joined our Fruit society, one of the very 1st. changes I sought to enact was ADDing another class: "Why, & How to make healthy Soil". - The reason being that, (with the exception of our professional Arborist, plus our now President), all the other Orchardists were knee-deep into "Spray for this, & MORE chemicals..." (incldg. not organic) unto trees that were increasingly suffering from this, that, & the other problems. And they 'taught' that stuff to the general public, which snaps it up, & thus the earth's eco-system including people continue to suffer...

Next week I will be teaching (with our society's President) four+ classes on just this very subject to the general public at the state Fair, as we do each Spring & summer. Why? - because the general public is no longer aware that an "ounce of prevention" is not just better than a pound of cure. - In fact, when it comes to growing just about anything, an "ounce of prevention" IS the cure.

Nikki, I wish your trees the best 🙂

• Gardennan
    Gardennan Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

@rainbow I wish I lived closer I'd love to take your Why, & How to make healthy Soil"class.