Winter Break

Curious to know what do you all do during the down season to prepare for next years growing season? I am thinking about taking some of the courses offered here. Would love to know what you do in order to prepare for the next gardening season.

Comments

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

One of the best things you can do is take some pictures or jot down some notes about this year's garden while everything is still fresh in your mind. What grew well? What didn't? What pests or diseases did you notice? What would you like to see different for next year? I always think I will remember everything from this years garden come winter so I can make adjustments (afterall, the garden is all I am thinking about currently!), but once the new year starts, I am so happy to have my pictures and notes to remind me of what needs to be done differently, things I wanted to try, or successes I wanted to replicate. This is especially true as I garden more and more and the years run together lol!

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @angelaclay509 the garden Journal that @chimboodle04 just suggested to you is Awesome ! Follow that year to year & it will serve you well 🙂

Also Marjory's classes, which I can't sit thru now, but Hopefully in the late Autumn & winter. Looking forward to it.

Since you are growing everything in pots as you said, as I suggested, are you going to Grow foods Vertically... ?

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

In hot climates, time to plant cool season crops.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi again @angelaclay509 in case you want to grow more or less year-round, this Chart for Eastern-Washington is a good Guide: https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-calendar/WA/Spokane

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year I planted kale. It was so much easier to grow in the winter that I can't wait to plant more this year.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

Yes, it took me a while to realize that in my warm climate fall crops are often better than spring crops. Also I have to keep an eye out for fall / winter weeds sprouting.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Winter sowing! Well, that's not until January or February, or even March, which is almost into the growing season. But I have done it plenty of times in January.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Nature is wise, giving us Autumn, a time to slow then Winter a time to rest. Looking toward the next growing cycle, I'll l be updating the garden journal, planning next year's garden and new fencing (the deer have been feeding well this year). And Marjory's courses are at the top of the list.

• Jimerson
    Jimerson Posts: 291 admin

I'll be researching exactly what I want to grow and staying warm in the wood shop, building! I also need to build a chicken barrier around my garden area.. @angelaclay509 which courses look the most interesting to you?