Salad dressing

Since I have made this dressing, I have never needed to buy anything remotely resembling salad dressing since and it frees up fridge space.

In a 250ml clean empty jar, 1/2 fill with extra virgin olive oil ( maybe 150mls) then add 50mls apple cider vinegar, big tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of dijon mustard. If you like you can add grated garlic and or Zatar (middle eastern spice mix) say teaspoon of either. Shake up real good and you have enough dressing for 3 or 4 salads. Tastes awesome and good for you. If you have a fav, please let me know. Cheers

Comments

• spowell07
    spowell07 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

This may not be as healthy as it should be but sometimes good ole comfort wins out. We raise most of our meats so I love to use bacon in my salads from time to time. Here’s a tried and loved bacon dressing.

3 tablespoons of the rendered fat (bacon) Transfer the fat to a small saucepan set over low heat and whisk in the red wine vinegar, sugar (I use honey or stevia) and Dijon mustard. Season with a small pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper. Makes enough for 4 plates of spinach salad.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

I have never really liked oil-based dressings. I prefer squeezing fresh citrus juice on salads. Sometimes I mix up something with mustard. Also salsa on salad is good. Sometimes a peanut butter dressing.

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

I use oil and vinegar at about a 50-50 ratio. Then I add a dash of mustard and honey so that the mixture can emulsify. I also like to add either finely chopped onion or thinly sliced green onions or chives. Top it off with a bit of sea salt and pepper.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Here is one that I want to try.

I love experimenting with salad dressings. It is so easy & can be very rewarding. I have made quite a few varieties.

Here is one that I am fond of at the moment:

Equal parts olive oil & red wine vinegar, onion flakes, minced garlic, oregano, celery seed, salt. We put this in a salad of lettuce, cucumber, carrot, any variety of cheese, cubed, walnut pieces, sunflower seeds, chia & hemp seeds.

I have used yogurt as a base, especially in a fruit salad. Then I add raw honey, poppy seeds, and real vanilla extract. I haven't used the vanilla extract in a while since vanilla is priced like gold right now, and I like to use my own extracts. I have tried other flavors, but none make the flavor pop as well as the vanilla.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Thanks Laurie, think I'll give the lemon and mint dressing a go

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I tend to mix as I go. If I'm making a salad, I put nutritional yeast, sometimes ground nuts and seeds, whatever herbs and spices I fancy, and toss with the greens. Then I drizzle on olive or sesame oil, and either vinegar or pickle or olive brine. Sometimes I add mustard or even ketchup. It probably sounds weird but I love it.

• ArleneWoods
    ArleneWoods Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

I have always liked French dressing. Here is the recipe I have used:

1 can (10 oz.) condensed tomato soup

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons of mustard

1/2 cup vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)

1 cup brown sugar

1 small onion, finely chopped

1 cup oil (I use EVOO)

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce is optional (I personally don't add it)

I combine all ingredients in a quart jar, shake well, and refrigerate.

Makes 3 cups

Does anyone have a good substitute for the brown sugar? Trying to get off the sugar! But I'm sure that's why I love this recipe!

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

@ArleneWoods I like to use coconut sugar as a replacement for brown sugar. It doesn't have the high glycemic index and is more healthy. I get the pure unrefined coconut sugar.

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

It's interesting that most everyone seems to like honey mustard dressings. I do too! But I make a mustard vinaigrette. I use it on salads but also on cooked veggies. It's especially good on green beans. I have even used it as a substitute for butter on baked potatoes and toast. Delicious!

So, here's the recipe:

• 1/2 c. oil
    • 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
    • 1 T. coconut sugar
    • 1 t. each prepared mustard and chopped parsley
    • 1/2 t. each onion powder and pressed fresh garlic

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend well. Shake well before using. Makes 3/4 c. of dressing.

FYI - Mustard is great to use in salad dressings because it neutralizes the mineral blocking effect of oxalates that are in a lot of veggies, especially greens. 🙂

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@ArleneWoods if you are going sugar free, beware of the hidden sugars. Check your tomato soup. Also, watch other store foods for modified milk ingredients. It is half sugar and half some mystery substance called butter oil that has nothing to do with butter.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

This inspired me to make some. Yesterday I went around harvesting small amounts of herbs which I added to acv, date vinegar, filtered water and evoo. Looking forward to trying it today!

• smockv
    smockv Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

@ArleneWoods I like to use coconut nectar or sorgum with a touch of maple syrup in place of brown sugar. Plus there are the added health benefits- Sorgum is naturally gluten free, just to name one!

https://www.medicaldaily.com/sorghum-health-benefits-grain-gluten-free-high-nutritional-value-244895

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

@Leslie Carl That sounds like a tasty recipe!

• Leediafastje
    Leediafastje Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Since my husband is addicted to the following dressing recipie (which is not super healthy), I grow all the salad ingredients ... lettuce, tomato, nasturtium, chives, primrose, parsely.

2 large tablespoons mayo

1 large tablespoon whole grain mustard

1 large tablespoon raw honey

1 large tablespoon fresh dill

1 teaspoon each/garlic powder, onion powder

Salt & Pepper to taste

If I add fried tofu or a sauted protein it turns into dinner.