Easy go to cake recipe

In the past I've usually made Lumberjack Cake, simple and tastes great. 2 apples cored and diced, 1 cup chopped dates. Pour over 1 cup hot water, let it rest and cool. Cream 125g butter to 1 cup caster sugar add 1 egg, then add 11/2 cups plain flour and 2 tsp baking powder. Combine fruit mixture to flour mixture, put in a greased springform cake tin. Bake for 1hr on 180 degrees Celsius. There is also a topping you can make with consists of milk, brown sugar, butter and shredded coconut and tip it on top about 10 mins before finished baking. I don't usually do the topping bit.

So I've come to changing up the recipe to suits my needs, used gluten free flour (1/2 coconut, 1/2 tapioca) replaced the sugar with 1/2 cup of honey, added walnuts or pecans. Added cooked rhubarb and substituted pears for apples, prunes for dates. Grated in fresh ginger etc. Added greek yoghurt or a splash of Olive oil and everytime its worked out. Mt go to cake recipe. You can make this with a hand whisk and wooden spoon.

If you have a fav, please share with me.

Comments

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I tend to go in cycles for the recipes I make. For a long time my "go to" was the sourdough applesauce cake from The Encyclopedia of Country Living.

"Cream

¼ c. lard

½ white sugar

½ brown sugar

Add

1 c. sourdough starter

1 c. applesauce

1 beaten egg

¼ c. milk

In a separate bowl mix with a whisk

1 ½ c. white flour

½ tsp. Cinnamon

¼ tsp. Each cloves, nutmeg, allspice

pinch salt

2 tsp. Baking soda

Combine two bowls. Add a handful of dates, raisins, nuts, or whatever you like. Bake 1 hour in a moderate oven. Let cake cool in pan; then turn it out, upside down – carefully, because it is very fragile. It will be a moist, delicate treat. If you are a spice lover, you can double all the spice amounts."

I interpret "moderate oven" as 350F. I bake it in two 8x8 pans for ½ an hour. We also skip the ½ cup white sugar, sometimes substitute butter for lard, and use a mixture of whole wheat and white flour or all whole-wheat flour. Mashed bananas can be substituted for applesauce. Walnuts and chocolate chips are delicious additions to the banana variation. You can also make a crumb topping like the following and sprinkle on the batter before baking.

3 Tbs. Oat flour or wheat flour

3 Tbs. Brown sugar

½ c. oatmeal

3 Tbs. butter

Dash of cinnamon

Nuts if desired

Mix with a fork until crumbly. Adjust ingredients to get a crumbly texture, if needed.

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

This is my go to recipe. As long as you beat the eggs long enough, it is always light and fluffy. Pair it with whipped cream and fruit for a light and delicious dessert.

Three Ingredient Sponge Cake

6 eggs, separated

1 cup sugar

1 cup cake flour

optional: salt, vanilla

1. Cut wax paper to fit two 9" round cake pans.

2. Separate eggs, putting whites in large mixer bowl and yolks in small mixer bowl.

3. Add 1/2 c sugar to whites and beat until very stiff.

4. Add 1/2 c sugar to yolks and beat until very thick and light yellow in color.

5. Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites.

6. Fold flour in using 1//3 c each time until well mixed. Do not overmix.

7. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out dry. Cool for a few minutes, remove from pan and remove waxpaper. Cool completely.

• Looking forward to trying this...❤️❤️

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

I made this cake twice last year and am thinking about making a similar cake this year with acorns:

Chinese Chestnut Cake

• Chinese Chestnuts (from Martin Acres, my maternal family farm), Organic Raw Cane Sugar, Aluminum‐Free Baking Powder, Organic Free Range Brown Eggs, Salted Butter