Any goat owners out there? Hoof trimming help?

I have an older Nigerian Dwarf buck that someone gave my daughter in law. She lovingly passed him on to me so I really don't know much about him but he's sweet and loving until I try to touch his collar then he tries to RUN! He needs his hooves trimmed badly. Any ideas how to catch him and make him stay still ? I'm pretty new to goats but I've managed to trim the others hooves. I guess my husband and I could wrestle him to the ground but I'm afraid to give him an anxiety attack. Is there any herbs I could give him to calm him? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• kabaras
    kabaras Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

I don't know about calming herbs. I have trimmed mine on a goat stand. A little feed to catch him? Take a little off at a time to get him used to trimming without too much stress. It might seem upsetting to you but in the long run he will be happier and healthier. Since your husband is there he might be able to hold him once caught while you trim. I find them less stressed if they are able to stand. But....he will fight you by kicking and trying trying get away. Just keep trying until he gets used to being touched and trimmed. Good luck! Remember he is lucky to have you!

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

An older goat not use to handling is difficult-time, frequent calm contact and favorite treats will teach him to trust your touch. But if you don't have time and cannot get him on a milking stand or secured to a tree, you may have to use force, westle him to the ground or corner him in the barn (be glad he's a Dwarf). I use a combination of Valerian, Hops, Passion Flower and L-Tryptophan on my Nubian wether, he came to me as an adult, prior to trimming his hoods. I use capsules, opened and sprinkled on his morning grain. As I'm finding CBD very effective calming goats, I will be adding it to the herbs in the future. Watch out, a goat's hind legs are quick and pack a wallop that can break a bone. However you manage to trim his hooves, he will forgive quickly with lots of love and treats (mine seem to love me more when I have alfalfa pellets in my hand LOL). @kabaras is right, he's lucky to have you, too often older goats end up at the "sale barn". Enjoy learning the delicate art of living with these delightful creatures.

• Gardennan
    Gardennan Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

@kabaras thank you for answering its funny you say he's lucky to have me because he came to me with the name "Lucky"

@merlin44 Thank you for answering its so great to have people to talk to that don't think you're crazy! You said -( I use a combination of Valerian, Hops, Passion Flower and L-Tryptophan on my Nubian wether.) Is it just one capsule of each or is there a special dosage that you use? I also have Cbd any idea how much to try giving him?

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of you are more sane than many. Anyone who cares for living things and goes the extra distance to help rescues, no matter the species, is showing a loving nature. I don't have the means to rescue farm animals; nevertheless, I know from experience that a neglected or abused animal needs extra sensitivity and creates lots of extra work. You are to be commended for putting in the extra effort to do things right.

• Gardennan

@shllnzl Thank you for your kind words. He really is a sweetheart but someone must have done something to him with the collar because he won't let us near it. He'll let me pet him and give him treats he will even lick my hand but when I get near his collar or even right around his neck off he goes.

• shllnzl

@Gardennan I have a traumatized German Shepherd. He is finally getting somewhat comfortable with guests in the home. After two years or so, he will still run away from anyone with a flashlight, including me. He no longer flees dog toys, but will never play with them.

As far as your goat, it sounds like he is already learning to trust you. I wonder if you could get a dog's Thundershirt on him? All mammals seem to calm down when wrapped tightly in a blanket-like device. Even adult humans are using weighted blankets to reduce stress.

For future consideration: Is it possible to cut off the collar while petting him or using pressure in another part of his body to distract him? I also wonder if a horse's blinders would help you approach his collar, assuming the blinders won't freak him out too much? Maybe a halter will work better for him when you can manage to get one on him.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

@Gardennan My Osage (wether) weighs approximately 170 lbs so I use an adult human weight appropriate dose, for him that's 2-3 capsules depending on the herb. There's an app for Android phones 'Cow Measure Calculation' (also a web site with the same info if you don't have an Android) that can give you a instructions to approximate his weight. I've used a CBD tincture on kids prior to and after debudding and it worked great. With Osage, I'm planning to use a 50 mg dose in capsule form so I can sprinkle it on his morning grain with the herbs. They say goats 'never forget' so its quite possible someone manhandled him roughly by his collar or perhaps he got hung up on something by it. I keep the plastic break-away chain collars on mine, loose but snug (had a kid get her head caught inside another one's collar once while playing and learned they don't break away that easily) or a harness may work for him. Time and love and lots of kisses (now that's crazy-I kiss my goats LOL) allows them to trust us.

• Gardennan

@merlin44 thanks again for your help. We are going to give it a try this afternoon.

• Gardennan

SUCCESS!!!!! Thanks to all who helped. Lucky is so lucky to have you all😁😁😁😁😁😁

• shllnzl

@Gardennan Lucky is lucky to have you! I'm glad you got through this, the collar thing will work out eventually because he trusts you.

• Very good advice here. Sometimes goats take a bit of time to get to know and trust us. It will happen, he just needs some time and good experiences with you.

We put ours in the milk stand to trim hooves and that works well. We do try to handle them a lot from birth, even if they are nursing on their mama's.

Good luck!