Vegans and vegetarians may have higher stroke risk

Comments

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ever-present problem with ANY research, or studies lies in the programmed belief that "Association, & Linkage, & risk" equals causation, when scientifically that is not true.

So does it show vegan and vegetarian diets are unhealthy ?

Dr Frankie Phillips, from the British Dietetic Association, says not. "They looked at what people ate and followed them for years, so it's an association, not cause-and-effect," she says.

The association may have somewhat to do with people's diets, and may also reflect other differences... in the lives of people who do not eat meat.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Also did the study follow healthy vegans/vegetarians or ones that ate cookies, fried foods, and Slurpees? Also did the ones that had strokes take B 12 supplements? Did the study routinely check them to determine whether they had any nutrient deficiencies? Many articles are suggesting perhaps stroke rates were increased due to people being low in B12 or too low in cholesterol. But why do they need to guess? Why not do a study that test nutrient levels routinely during the study period? I eat meat but do think the more plants and variety of them you eat the better. I also find cooking grain/veggies dishes to be easier than dealing with meat so I do often use plant-based recipes. A quick summer lunch is microwaved or instant pot baked potato, topped with spinach, avocado, salsa and maybe a couple of chopped nuts.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@Merin Porter It's an interesting article but doesn't provide a link to the actual study, which could be useful to glean any additional information about the participants, assuming that there is any.

At the end of the day I think that we individually have to learn what our bodies need for optimal health, eat from the rainbow, watch our emotions/energy, be conscious of where your food comes from, etc.