Can I save it?

I've been having some issues with my ears recently. While I don't think it's infected right now, it is a little inflamed. I had read about making an oil infusion with garlic and mullein and it seems like it'll help even if it's not yet at an infected stage.

So, I set about making some up. I wanted to hurry the process along a bit more than a typical oil infusion that takes a couple months at room temp.. but I also didn't want to use a double boiler to warm it for an hour or two on my stove (it just makes it too hot in here to cook something for that long, and it's still very much summer in n. Texas..) Instead I had the brilliant idea of placing the oil and herbs in a jar, the placing this jar in a larger bowl, and slowly warming it from the outside with water from my electric kettle.

Well.. so, there's this little thing glass does when it changes temps too quick.. 😅 haha. I didn't think the water was too warm, but a couple seconds into pouring it in the bowl, I hear a little * pop * and I see the oil start seeping out into the water. 😖

I went ahead and covered the whole bowl, let the oil, herbs, and water sit over night to cool. I've since strained out the herbs and removed most of the water. There's a good bit of deliciously garlicy smelling oil that I managed to save..

I'm wondering if it may still be safe to use in my ears? Or maybe I should taste test it and use it on a salad instead at this point?

What do you guys think? Can it's use as a medicine be saved?

Comments

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

I would dare say no as the water will affect the potency of the medicine that you were trying to create.

If you still want to use garlic, you may try the following:

• Make garlic oil by cooking two garlic cloves in two tablespoons of sesame oil or mustard oil until it turns blackish. Strain the solution. When it is bearably hot, use two to four drops of this oil in the infected ear as ear drops.
    • Alternatively, you can also boil two or three fresh garlic cloves in water for five minutes, then crush them and add some salt. Put the mixture in a clean cloth and place it against the affected ear.
    • Consuming two to three cloves of raw garlic daily also helps speed up the healing process.
  • ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

@Linzi re "issues with my ears recently. While I don't think it's infected right now, it is a little inflamed. I had read about making an oil infusion with garlic and"

For any inflammation process, instead of applying something topical, you can just daily eat several raw garlic cloves. If the taste is too strong for you, dip each into some pure honey before eating it, & the honey will also help.

Also, this Awesome remedy healed my own experience: From the DECT-phone base radiation, my inner ear became damaged to the point of tinnitus over a year's time. Constant Right ear noise was deafening, & ear became inflamed. --- as I take no pharma stuff, my mind directed me to this (turmeric)/Curcumin I daily benefit from already, but had me increase it from 1 gram, to 4+x daily. After 4 days of this self-help, all the buzzing stopped, & after 8 days, my hearing was totally restored.

• @Linzi being just a little South of you mine are irritated as well - pollen is high so allergies are kicking in big time. Something that helps me is taking red root tincture. Red Root is helpful in draining the lymph system which takes some pressure off the ears. I use about 10 drops twice a day or a bit more if its really bad. I made my own but have used the one from Mountain Rose with good results. Also helpful is taking mullien tincture, I use 20 drops twice a day. And warm compresses applied can get things moving, just place over the affected ear/throat area for 15-20 minutes several times a day. Hope it is better soon!

• Karyn Pennington
    Karyn Pennington Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

If you use/have any essential oils, Helichrysum is excellent for ears -- olive oil with just a drop or 2 on a small piece of cotton to place in the ear, then rub any excess around the outer ear.

If it gets to the point of infection, Doc Jones does the chop up an onion and squeeze the juice in your ear method. Haven't had to do that, but if I felt it was infected, I would.

Since this seems to be allergy-related -- what about eyes? My eyes are SO itchy right now. I can't stand it. Been using calendula infused oil, but I can only do that at night (due to eye make and working in an office).

Thanks!

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

@Karyn Pennington My Qigong master taught us that you can get rid of allergies by eating 2 kiwifruit a day. I've never tested it out though, because I don't have any allergies. Maybe you can give it a try.

@Linzi For inner ear infections I use to use garlic oil, but now I use colloidal silver. I've found it to work faster. I lay on my side with the affected ear facing up and fill the ear canal with the silver and leave it in there for 15-20 minutes, then dump it out. If you catch the infection early, one treatment can clear it up. If it is extreme, it may take 3-5 treatments. If I do the treatment just before bed, it's all cleared up by morning.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

I've heard onion juice is really good for an inflamed ear or even an ear infection

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard the same thing about onion juice as well as garlic juice. I've never tried it though. We do use food grade hydrogen peroxide in ours when we feel a cold or allergies coming on. Seems to work well for us.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

@Linzi , please keep us posted on what you decide to do and how it works for you! :)

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

After cross country skiing I feel I have some tingling in the ear. Not really pain, but some sign that it is getting something. Thus I checked my notes and thought of looking into the earlier discussions and found this one. @Linzi did the oil which you produced helped you? I have read that St. John’s wort red oil could also help. Did anyone try such a remedy? There are many suggestions using garlic or onion juice. I have found also suggestions to use black radish juice. Any other ideas?

As I have plenty of red oil, I might start with it. If not, then onion or garlic juice.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@jowitt.europe Mullein oil is my go-to for ear infections. Takes care of fungal or bacterial infections and relieves the pain. If you don't have any, then St. John's Wort oil is an alternative suggestion.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@torey thank you! I have mullein, but not mullein oil. I make sure that I have it just in case.

I did use a few drops of St John’s wort oil. I made it with olive oil. And all the unpleasant feeling is gone in about half an hour. I guess, it was not a real infection, but I felt it creeping from my throat towards the ear. Now it is gone. For the throat I used diluted masterwort ( peucedanum ostruthium) tincture. And some nasturtium tincture in my herbal tea. Everything is gone and we went cross country skiing again 😊

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

These are some great ideas, thank you to all for sharing them with us all. @Linzi Have you tried a 1 ounce dried Linden infusion to reduce the inflammation?