Superfood Recipes

I thought I would start a separate discussion just for sharing superfood recipes. Maybe one or more of your recipes will help me eat more of the all-powerful foods.

I have been eating more of all kinds of mushrooms. I have found that the following combination is also a hit with dinner guests. It is a simple recipe and is easy to adjust to taste and quantity.

Sauteed Mushrooms

Saute mushrooms in avocado oil with lots of onions and garlic; add a small amount of vinegar when the mushrooms are almost done cooking.

Comments

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @shllnzl - this discussion is just going to be EXCELLENT, yes it is.

Tho for 2 months now I have a very related, but different need for a paralyzed family member, who must DRINK all nutrition. Should I start a new discussion for that, you think ?

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbow Why don't we include the liquified food in this discussion? My mushroom recipe would taste good after running through a blender and I'm sure most other recipes would be good that way too. Your family member needs as many superfoods as possible to compensate for diminished bodily functions. Liquids with changing flavors would be a plus.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

I steam Stinging Nettle and when in season foraged Dandelion Greens, Purple Dead Nettle, and Purslane. Now that I know that Yarrow is edible I will also add it to the mix. I finish with a raw, fermented, organic Shoyu sauce made from Non-GMO soybeans. I sometimes eat as a side or combine with cooked lentils or beans.

I also like to make salads with a variety of plants:

Lacinato "Dinosaur" Kale

Red Leaf Lettuce

Romaine Lettuce

Heirloom Carrots (various colors)

Rainbow Chard

Ginger

Turmeric

Red Cabbage

Parsnips

Red, Yellow, and/or Orange Bell Pepper

Chioggia Beets

Red Beets

Black Radish

Dandelion leaves (if in season)

Purslane (if in season)

Violet leaves

Yellow Wood Sorrel leaves and flowers

Italian Flat Leaf Parsley

Cilantro

Yellow Mustard Seeds

Black Mustard Seeds (they are hard to find though)

dried Oregano

dried Sweet Basil

dried English Thyme

• shllnzl

@Obiora E That is an inspiring list. I am trying to mix things up here, so maybe someday I will have a list like yours. I am going to try fermenting some foods also, maybe a sauce like yours.

• Obiora E

I like to make soups in the late Summer, Fall, and Winter with winter squashes: Acorn Squash, Pumpkin, Butternut Squash, Butterkin Squash, and sometimes another one. I simmer Red Onion in Olive Oil and then add squashes, sometimes at once or in layers, add Spring Water and cook until tender. I will typically add organic Ceylon Cinnamon, organic Clove Powder, organic Nutmeg Powder, organic Ginger powder, sometimes a little organic Turmeric powder, and sometimes other spices. When done I puree in a blender and then serve.

• Obiora E

@shllnzl Thank you! I enjoy eating from the rainbow, having different textures and flavors, and the like. The salads that I have been making like this for the past six or more years are usually a hit at family gatherings, and many of my family members don't eat a lot of salad but because they are so good they usually eat a lot and sometimes even take some home with them!

If you ever have any questions about fermenting foods or even layering a salad like I mentioned just let me know.

• shllnzl

@Obiora E I make soup quite often myself, using up whatever is in the house at the time. I like to experiment with spices.

One difference with me: I find it difficult to cut and peel winter squashes, so they are not first on my list. Also, I am lazy about some things so I tend to each my soups chunky even though I have an immersion blender to make things easier. (I tried the blender routine once only.)

I would be interested in your Shoyu sauce recipe but I am not knowledgeable enough yet to start fermenting it.

• Obiora E

@shllnzl Oh I don't peel my Winter squash unless it's Acorn or something with a tough skin. For those I may roast and then remove the flesh and then add to the pot. I like for my soups to be seasonal and rarely do I make a soup in the Spring or Summer unless I am not feeling well. If i do, it may be a Miso soup (I purchase Miso paste that is made using Chickpeas rather than Soy).

Oh I didn't make the Shoyu sauce. I purchased it. I don't recall from where right now but I can let you know the name of it later.

• shllnzl

@Obiora E I make soup year round as it is my favorite way to experiment in the kitchen.

I like your idea of roasting the squashes and then adding them to your recipe. So simple, yet so sensible.

I will look for Shoyu sauce when I am out shopping. I also like the idea of chickpea miso paste.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl . Totally Agree.

But, while I was raised in Grandpa's German wholesome Superfoods garden 100% organic, plus have taught basic nutrition to the U.S. general public for decades, <- my family member is 1 of them. --- And while after 4 years of my teaching him, at least he agreed to healthy supplements 🤗 yes!

changing his FOOD Choices is an entirely different matter. - After 19 years, recently he admitted "I've been a sugar-Addict since the start", so that influences to some degree his 'Cerebral & Spinal primary demyelination' & further complications. - iow, just because someone is a PHYSICS whiz as he is plus got bored in mensa, does not automatically translate to Applying his intelligence... to the matter of increasing Healthy eating, let alone Organics... However, at long last he actually EATS "Broccoli 🤗 no less every other day", which returned his BP back into a safe range. - Meaning the only 1 pharma crap he agreed to, will also soon be history, YES!

But my earlier comment "must Drink all nutrition", without adequate explanation was goofy/Sorry, as he will Not 'drink Blenderized foods', no way. - I'm trying to find an acceptable way to get him to DEtox, as finances do not allow us to have him be helped into healing by the close-by MD who could.

As obviously you better understand now Why I need to start a different discussion, Please follow me in that new discussion, when I can find the time to start it hopefully right.

• shllnzl

@rainbow My intelligent husband tends to treat me like I am crazy since I have been evolving into natural medicine and restricting my food choices. He and most other family members suspect I am being sucked in by a "health cult" although none have uttered those words. My stage 0 breast cancer and subsequent treatments started me on this path. He is in favor of my exercising for physical fitness though.

I have mostly knocked down my sugar and bread addictions.

I am the cook in the family so he is forced to eat at least some healthy food and new varieties. I got him off the statin drugs finally.

I am trying to work detox foods into our diet. Garlic and spices are easy.

I will totally follow your liquid detox discussion. May we find lots of tasty ways to do so that aren't just green smoothies. (Been there, done that.) I have substituted a powdered greens drink that is tasty and beneficial.

See you on the other discussion.

• Obiora E

@shllnzl And I meant to tell you too that when I did the pureeing of the Winter squash it was because trying to eat pounds of cubed squash was difficult but more manageable once I pureed it. Typically I have 6 or more pounds that I am using for the soup.

And the Shoyu Sauce is called Ohsawa Organic Nama Shoyu.

• shllnzl

@Obiora E Thanks for the info. You have gotten me interested!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I make a lot of stir-fries. Its a quick and easy way to get a lot of vegetables, and I like it. I use several different sauces, sometimes using recipes and sometimes just making it up. I alternate between seasoning with a naturally-brewed, non-gmo soy sauce and coconut aminos. I'm trying to limit my soy, but for some sauces coconut aminos just don't cut it. Sometimes I add fish sauce. Breakfast today is going to be a cabbage, shishito pepper, and green onion stirfry. I added ginger, garlic, and coconut aminos and I threw some daikon kimchi on top. Pretty good.

• shllnzl

@blevinandwomba Your breakfast sounds good. I too like to stir fry.

• @Obiora E this fall and winter I really want to get into making more soups. Thank you for sharing this has given me some great ideas.

• Obiora E

@angelaclay509 You are very welcome. I also used to make a sweet potato soup (never for myself as I don't care for sweet potatoes) but I heard that it was pretty good.

This is one variation of it (I added to it Hemp seeds but I only did that once or twice when I used to make it):

SWEET POTATO SOUP

1 small organic Red Onion 

2-3 TB Grapeola Oil

1 large organic Sweet Potato

1 organic Serrano Pepper

½ organic Ceylon Cinnamon stick

fresh Spearmint leaves

dash Sea Salt

Ginger(root)

organic Garlic granules

6 cups Spring water

1 tsp ground organic Ceylon Cinnamon

1 tsp Thyme leaf (freshly dried and chopped)

In a Dutch oven, add Grapeola Oil and heat on medium. Cut Onion into large chunks. Slice Ginger. Add Onion and Ginger and sauté

Cinnamon stick, Spearmint leaves, and ground Cinnamon. Turn heat up to medium high until water begins to boil. Reduce heat to low or 1

and simmer for 30 minutes or until Sweet Potato is tender. After 10 minutes, wash and chop the Serrano Pepper. Add Serrano Pepper and

Hempseed to soup. Remove from heat. Add Thyme Leaf and add more Spearmint leaves, Garlic granules, and ground Cinnamon. Serve

hot.

• Obiora E

@shllnzl You are very welcome.

@angelaclay509 I also sometimes make soups based on themes: root soup (beetroot--at least two or three varieties, potatoes--red, yellow, purple, and/or blue, red onion, garlic, ginger, turnips, turmeric, carrots (red, yellow, orange, purple), parsnips, spices, bay leaves. For this soup I wouldn't puree but would chop and/or dice everything and add enough water to about cover everything.

I sometimes may also do a greens soup (Lacinato "Dinosaur" Kale, Chard, Beet greens, Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, Turnip greens, etc. Sautee' a red onion in oil then add the greens (at different intervals), various spices and herbs (including bay leaves), Spring Water, cook until tender.

• shllnzl

@Obiora E You are even bolder than I am with seasonings! I would never have thought of putting spearmint in my soup.

I frequently add a mixture of greens to soup because I won't be able to get them eaten in a timely fashion. The greens seem to work with almost any flavor combination. I have also added greens to pasta sauce.

Some of my best combinations have come from grabbing whatever fresh vegetables I have on hand.

• Obiora E

@shllnzl Thank you! I started being so bold with seasonings when I did more growing of food as I had an abundant and diverse supply of fresh herbs to choose from: Sage, Basil (several heirloom varieties), Cilantro, Thyme, Dill(weed), Oregano, and the like. I learned some years ago too that those herbs could also be used as an herbal tea.

I have added fresh greens to smoothies (have a recipe for a "green" smoothie), soups, salads, eggs, fried potatoes, dried beans, lentils, and more. My my mother is like that and has been that way for as long as I can remember! :)

I have never added greens to pasta sauce but have added fresh Basil, especially when I am cooking down fresh tomatoes to make a pseudo sauce.