Building immunity from the germs at school

My daughter started her 1st year of student teaching and she's been sick at least 4 times in a little over 2 months. She seems to be catching everything from the kindergarteners. I've told her to take astragalus since it's supposed to boost immunity and vitamin C every day. When she's sick lots of vitamin C and zinc lozenges. I'd like to make some more elderberry syrup but will probably end up buying it on amazon and sending it to her. She will not take raw garlic. Are there any other herbs, supplements, or any homeopathy you guys take for getting well or boosting immunity? I'm hoping soon she'll won't be as affected by every germ that comes to school!

Comments

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

Colloidal Silver is a tasteless liquid, 1 teaspoon daily can be taken to build immunity. It is also available as a nose spray, which might be a convenient way to make use of it in a school situation.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

You can use Goldenseal, Yarrow, Goldenrod, Echinacea Purpurea, Fennel seed, Licorice Root, Wild Cherry Bark, make a Fire Cider, and more. Many of the herbs that are harvested in the Fall can also boost the immune system in various manners. Also consuming foods rich in Vitamin C, D, A, and Magnesium can help.

• I can not supplement any herbs, potions or extracts but I recommend to have agood stock of chicken brooth available at all times for healing and recharging purposes.

Also on the same tip as @Obiora E I would recomment eating as diversified and nutritional dense as possible. This enables your body to get all nutrients she needs to keep on fighting the germs.

The first time in school is hard but it gets better with every day and every germ she is exposed to.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

This is not an herb or supplement, but I try very hard to avoid sugar when folks around me are sick. My understanding is that it depresses your immune system for several (6, I think?) hours after you eat it, so I make a habit of avoiding it (and insist my kids do the same) when there are colds, the flu, etc., going around.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

I really like the Elderberry Juice from River Hills Harvest that I have been able to buy each year at the Mother Earth News Festival. It is easy to take (tart but no bad taste) and does not have the medicine / cough syrup taste that the Elderberry syrup I bought from Natural Grocers had. You can purchase it online also at www.riverhillsharvest.com

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pamelamackenzie Thanks for the reference; I just ordered some juice from them.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pamelamackenzie Thanks! I'll check it out.

@Merin Porter I stopped buying processed food and sodas 7 years ago. I also did away with added sugar a few years after that. My kids complain that there is nothing to eat in our house but actually there is a lot to eat they just have to cook it. My daughter that's doing her student teaching is in college so I can't watch what she eats anymore. She makes all of her own choices now. She video calls me often asking how to cook certain things which I love. That tells me I've rubbed off on her b/c her friends have no clue how to cook the first thing. Maybe she'll rub off on them.

• cre8tiv369
    cre8tiv369 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

In addition to what has already been mentioned... Parsley... It is the most nutritious green in the world, nothing else comes close to the vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients in parsley. It tastes great, mixes into salads or soups perfectly, and just eating it raw is easy and the best way to get the most out of it. I also recommend starting the day with a tall glass of lemon water with a little honey, apple cider vinegar, and if you want to get fancy you can add ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, etc. (Garlic is nature’s perfect antibiotic, but some folks hate it, but there are plenty of other things that are good as well). Chicken soup can be proactive and not just reactive, it is easy to make, delicious, and I make it once a week during cold season (with lots of parsley, even if no one has a cold). Raw organic honey, on anything I can put it on (yogurt, cereal, toast, etc). Some swear by Lysine supplements, and there are garlic and turmeric supplements as well. And finally, juices with high vitamin C levels are good, but fresh organic fruits and berries with high vitamin C levels and fresh antioxidants are much better.