Testing possible acid reflux prevention at bedtime

While looking for natural ways to overcome my insomnia issues I may have stumbled onto a way to keep acid reflux from burning my throat at night. Note that I take CBD oil during the day and melatonin at night.

Two nights ago I increased my dosage to the following:

6 drops lemon balm tincture

6 drops lilikoi (passionflower) tincture

I take the drops on the tongue, swallow some water, brush my teeth and go to bed. Tinctures were purchased.

So far, no sore throat in the morning. Lower doses of the tinctures did not have that effect.

I have researched the two herbs further, noting that lemon balm has a history of helping digestive issues. (Makes me wonder if I have other issues not addressed by previous medical help.)

Both herbs are potent and usage needs to be monitored. I will try this treatment for a couple of weeks and see if the reflux stays muted. I will then give myself a break to clear the system.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Comments

• sarah121
    sarah121 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@shllnzl Acid reflux is one of the most common problems I see in my clinic. It is not always due to excess acid (in fact you need stomach acid in order to properly break down your food.) If reflux is only an issue at night (and not during the day unless lying down or bending forward) it can be due to a lack of muscle tone in the upper sphincter which needs to be tightly closed to stop stomach acid going up into places where it shouldn't go. In these cases the best herb for the job is Centaury (Etythraea centaurium.) This tightens the tone to keep the sphincter closed. These kinds of cases are not easily diagnosed with tests which often focus on acid levels and not peristalsis. There is some fabulous information on the topic of GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease on the following functional medicine website. I highly recommend you check it out.

There is also an easy to follow practical e-book which may be of help:

Lemon balm is an excellent herb for all manner of digestive complaints, as is chamomile and meadowsweet (avoid if you are sensitive to salycilic acid.)

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sarah121 Thanks for the info and great resources. I have abandoned doctor induced pharma for healthier alternatives, I just haven't been very successful so far. I have a hiatal hernia that I now believe was caused by my years of heavy lifting for work.

The fact that lemon balm appears to work so well makes me think that there may be an almost-ulcer condition at work. I have been working to get my gut microbiome healthy after YEARS of mandated dental antibiotics at each dental cleaning.

If I only knew all this stuff in my youth! I was such a good girl following the best medical advice. Sigh.

I joined a whole-body fitness center recently, so perhaps strengthening core muscles will help too.

I am grateful that someone with your expertise is willing to share. Thanks again.

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl heartburn is typical with hiatal hernias, but I have some suggestions for you, including something to heal ulcers in case you are dealing with that as well.

First, for heartburn at night, it may help to sleep on your left side. This puts the acids in a part of your stomach away from your esophagus, so they are less likely to come up that way and cause the heartburn. Sleeping on your right side puts the acids in line with the esophagus which makes it much easier for them to move up there, especially if the sphincter muscle at the bottom of the esophagus is weak.

Second, I used to work for a naturopathic doctor, who was able to correct hiatal hernias with manipulation. It was just one quick movement. He would put the side of his hand up under the ribs, at the top of the stomach and then with a quick downward movement, he would push the stomach down off of the esophagus. You might want to check around to see if you can find one that knows how to do it for you.

Back to the heartburn; ginger is quite good at settling down the acids. You can use ginger tea but my favorite is ginger fat bombs. I just eat one before going to bed. Also, something that is very soothing and healing for your acid-burned esophagus is slippery elm bark, I make it into a drink that's called Slippery Elm Gruel. Yeah, it sounds nasty but it really tastes good! A lot like chocolate milk. I've used it on myself and my husband to get rid of ulcers too. Slippery elm will also settle down the acids as it's healing.

If you are interested in the recipes for the Gruel and the Fat Bombs, I have them posted in another discussion titled "Got Ulcers? Here's a painless way to get rid of them." The Fat Bombs are further down the page.

• shllnzl

@Leslie Carl Thank you for the feedback. I have already copied your recipes so I couldn't lose track of them.

I have only heard of corrective surgery -- it figures that a doctor doing it in a simple, non-invasive, low-cost way isn't getting heard.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @shllnzl - On top of the excellent Herbal suggestions you've already been given by Leslie & Sarah, I don't know if you would welcome prayer... If you would appreciate it, I will gladly pray for you :) that of the returning acid you will be Freed, & able to go to & stay asleep all night long. - Thank God I practically sleep-walk to bed & awaken refreshed each morning, ready to Carpe ! Diem (seize the day)

• shllnzl

@rainbow It is sweet of you to offer prayer, but there are many more worthy causes to pray for. The world is in need of a lot of prayer.

I am glad I have all of you who are willing to share knowledge with me. I am working to learn the better ways to get and stay healthy.

I have been an insomniac for most of my life, no doubt leading to other health issues I've had. (For example, I experienced "restless arms" for most of my working years, other family members have the leg version.) The good news is that I didn't get prescription drugs for most of the issues. I worked with frozen shoulder for a very long time because I had to work to eat and muscle relaxers put me to sleep.

Maybe you can tell that I am a fighter. I am dealing with painful stiff movements by doing fairly intense physical workouts, figuring maybe then the pain of working out will have a positive outcome and diminish some physical issues.

I need to get outside and continue maintenance/upgrade of the land we purchased.

I am beginning to suspect that I have character traits in common with the rest of you.

• @shllnzl this was really packed with information... something. I’m always looking for other alternatives when dealing with Avid Reflux

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

I used to suffer badly with reflux and just thought it was something I had to put up with. Complaining to a friend one day, they suggested I take a look at how much wheat I consume. So for a week I basically cut out all wheat products and guess what, no reflux. I don't believe I'm gluten intolerant because I can eat it now and then, no trouble but at that time I must have been overloading my system. I also use peppermint essential oil to help with digestion also ginger based tea.

• Karyn Pennington
    Karyn Pennington Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow Yes, wheat is definitely a contributor. I'm like you -- I can have it now and then, but it's the build up that causes problems. I recently heard someone (some health summit) say that all (American grown) wheat is no longer something the body can process. It takes 2 days for the lining of our stomachs to completely rejuvenate and recover from a serving of wheat -- so, if you have toast for breakfast, a sandwich at lunch and pasta for dinner, you've really over done it. I try to only have 1 bread serving a day (or less) and I have much few problems.

I've also found rice to be a trigger and sometimes potatoes - but not always.

I've been looking at my lemon balm outside and thinking I need to "do something" with it -- Now I know what to do! Thanks everyone!

• sarah121

@jodienancarrow @Karyn Pennington a really great book to read on this topic is "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. Check it out.

• sarah121

@shllnzl I think we are all learning from one another. What works for one person isn't always right for someone else so I think the key is to be open minded and share what works for you. Stress is always a factor in these kinds of issues, and being ill can be very stressful! I commend you for your openness to share your experiences. It isn't always easy to put yourself out there. Be well :)

• LisaDavies
    LisaDavies Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

I suffered from acid reflux for years... until my mother was diagnosed as a full blown coeliac. After hearing this, I started fiddling with the food I ate, eliminating certain food types and reintroducing them, to see if I was allergic. It turns out that my acid reflux is caused by wheat and citrus fruit. So I think if you're having a long term problem with acid reflux, then it is a really good idea to look at what you're eating and seeing if there's any allergies there.

• shllnzl

@LisaDavies Thanks for your input. I have identified some food sensitivities. I am fighting acknowledging that regular and herbal teas may cause problems.

My sister and I both notice that drinking water, especially in the afternoons, can cause symptoms. Has anyone else experienced that?

• shllnzl

@Lisa K Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. I know unjuiced raw carrots don't digest well.