Favorite Home Medicine

It must be ginger season! I found some great organic ginger today and bought the rest of the ingredients to make a big batch of my favorite homemade medicine! I'm so happy and excited! Here is how I do it:

LHG Syrup, (Lemon, Honey, and Ginger Syrup)

For Nausea and Coughing and tons of other stuff!

4 organic lemons

1 cup or more, (I like to use extra), of fresh organic ginger

1 pint of local raw honey

Place whole lemons, sliced thinly and ginger, coarsely chopped, in clean glass jar. Cover with honey and put the lid on it and leave on counter overnight or until it becomes a thin Syrup. Keep in refrigerator. I use as a regular Cough Syrup, take a tablespoon for Nausea, and it's great for headaches, heartburn, depression... actually all sorts of things. It also makes my grandkids happy!

I hope you try it!

Comments

• bkpelfrey
    bkpelfrey Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

Does this help in preventing things like flu or colds?

• one.ette
    one.ette Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

I believe it does. It is chock full of nutrients and antioxidants! It is truly amazing and has helped me and my family on numerous occasions!

• wbt.affiliates
    wbt.affiliates Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

I believe in using what I can grow. So. I grow elderberries. They make a wonderful cough syrup too. If you add an aster flower infusion to it, you have one that will keep for a long time.

Nothing against ginger and lemon. They're wonderful! But I live in a trailer house and ginger is a big plant.

My husband and I decided to learn to use what we can grow around here (Colorado mountain valley) because we had no recourse. We had no extra money. What I discovered is that our ecosystem provides exactly what we need, and our bodies are acclimated to this ecosystem. So what we use that grows here works the best for us.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@one.ette I plan on giving your recipe a try. Thanks for sharing.

• amyjacobson6
    amyjacobson6 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

I think it's wonderful that no matter where we live we can utilize our local plants for our health benefits. :)

Thank you for sharing your ginger recipe one.ette! It sounds amazing and I can't wait to try it!

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

one.ette The syrup sounds great! I made some cough drops using those same ingredients and they worked very well. Didn't try them for nausea but that should work too.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@one.ette Thank you for sharing the recipe. How long can you keep in the refrigerator?

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

I just love how natural remedies have so many different benefits from each ingredient. We are so blessed to have plants that can heal our ailments and keep us well. Nature is so astounding! I also love the simplicity of this recipe. Thank you @one.ette! This is definitely going in my remedies list!

• one.ette

@Obiora E that's a good question! It has never gone bad on us, but it doesn't last past a few months at our house and that's when I make a gallon jar.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@one.ette thank you for sharing your super easy recipe! I’m gonna try it too! Do you leave the lemon in the syrup or do you strain before refrigerating?

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@wbt.affiliates I planted elderberry this year just for this reason, I had to take out two plants to make room for the elderberry because they are going to be big too.

Do you know if ginger gets bigger than comfrey? I like like to make the most of out every inch in my garden and boy was I surprised at how big the comfrey gets!!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

This sounds great! I think it would make a nice base for a hot beverage.

I make a honey with mostly sliced onions with several cloves of garlic, a few slices of ginger, some black pepper corns and a whole chili or cayenne pepper (to taste). So it is a bit more savoury that the lemon and ginger one. If it is too strong-tasting for you to take as a syrup, use it as food medicine and pour it over roast veggies or add a bit of ACV, a good quality oil, some dried herbs and make a delicious salad dressing.

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

Sounds really good! Do you use white, red etc. onions? Do you have to leave it set, shake, wtore in cool place or frig?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I use whatever I have on hand but Red Onions would be preferable. Wild onions would be a really nice addition if you can find a large colony. When adding the honey, use a skewer or chopstick to release air bubbles but it doesn't really need to be shaken or stirred after that. I keep it in the fridge. A few days is optimal but you can start to use this after sitting overnight (12 hours) if needed. You can leave the veggies in the honey or strain them out. I don't worry about the shelf life as it is always gone within a few days in my house.

• one.ette

@herbantherapy I usually leave the lemon and ginger in there, but you can strain it if you like. Either way is good. One time, after the syrup was all gone, I used the left over lemon and ginger in making soap. It made a very nice soap.

• one.ette

@torey your way of making it sounds awesome!

• wbt.affiliates

I don't know how big ginger gets. It's a sub-tropical or tropical plant, so I can't grow it outside. This means I'd have to grow it inside. Because you harvest the roots, that means you'd need several plants to be able to harvest one. That is very difficult to do inside my small mobile home.

• wbt.affiliates

I don't know how big ginger gets. It's a sub-tropical or tropical plant, so I can't grow it outside. This means I'd have to grow it inside. Because you harvest the roots, that means you'd need several plants to be able to harvest one. That is very difficult to do inside my small mobile home.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@one.ette 1. An inch of fresh rosemary, chew it up and swallow it to aid in the sniffles. 2. Bite into a clove of garlic and suck out the juice to aid in reducing sore throat. 3. Chew on a half inch fresh ginger and swallow it to aid in scratchy throat relief. 4. Heat one cup warm to hot water then mix in one teaspoon thyme powder, one teaspoon turmeric powder, one teaspoon ceylon cinnamon, and one teaspoon ginger powder. Continuously stir as these do not dissolve, and drink it down. This aids to reduce inflammation. Enjoy with love