Fermented Pickles

lmrebert
lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Ferments

I tried a fermented pickle recipe, followed all the instructions to the T... sterilized everything and even used a weight even though the cucumbers were not close to the top. After 2 weeks a bunch of mold was on the top. I’ve read some people say just scoop it off 🤢 but as a booch brewer... this was just too much for me... the cucumbers smelled very picklie and good but I still dumped it... thoughts anyone... pretty sad about my pickles as I’m trying to get more true fermented foods into my family!

Best Answer

Answers

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

If you make kombucha, add about 1/4th cup sour, plain kombucha. Not only will it prevent that but your pickles will ferment in half the time and the tannins help keep them crisp.

• Well, my kitchen is warm so I only left it two days. I tried a week one time but prefer it done a shorter period of time. How did you cover the jar?

• lmrebert

@judsoncarroll4 do you have a thought about “picking the mold off”? And thx for that tip because we’ve been camping a lot lately and I’ve neglected my 2 gallon CB... it was like drinking ACV!!

• lmrebert

@seeker.nancy same cloth as I use for my my booch, tight knit 100% cotton. I bought quilters quarters for them. Clean and it never touched anything... maybe since it’s super hot her in so California I let it go too long?

• Leaving it too long in really warm conditions would be my guess. I am curious what others think. Good to know that about kombucha @judsoncarroll4

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

The next time that you do a ferment of pickles you may want to check them too every other day or so to taste them to see if they are to your liking. I made some fermented pickles this Summer and they were ready in about 3 or 4 days.

• lmrebert

@Obiora E thank you!!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I personally throw out any ferments that contain actual mold. Kahm yeast, as I understand, is harmless but can affect the taste. Mold has threads (mycelium?) that run far beneath the surface. You can't be sure how contaminated something really is.

• lmrebert

@blevinandwomba yes that’s how I feel about the mold thing... I don’t know if it’s just my kombucha brain or what!😀

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

I found kahm on my fermented snap peas and scooped it off but worried since I didn't know what it was at the time.

Yesterday while going through a lesson about fermenting I heard about kahm, and it was such a relief! Here are internet pictures to help you see the difference. https://www.fermentingforfoodies.com/kahm-yeast-mold/ Also, the kahm is like a film that sticks together whereas mold is fuzzy and not cohesive.

• twinspringsnc
    twinspringsnc Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

Never considered usimg Kombucha as the liquid. Wi give it a try. I have one jar heading for the trash. Opened it and mush...just awful. First try is a fail. Time to try again. Did I leave them to long? Any suggestions? I thought they would stay crisp. Am I wrong?

• NarjissMomOf3
    NarjissMomOf3 Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

I have made red (or white) onion and cucumber slices ferment. Was sooo good. I am extremely happy as this is a winner for my littles!