Fresh Lavender

greyfurball
greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

I've always grown the culinary herbs and spices every year.

But this Spring I put in three lavender bushes also and they have did remarkably well. I had a whole total 6 blooms in June on all three bushes so I just figured next year I will be able to do something with them. I should be able to harvest a few buds then.

Well it's still this year and those three bushes are now covered with just emerging blooms. I've heard before when using them to get the blooms picked before they open for the best results.

But anybody have any ideas of what's good to use them for?

I know I've heard the lavender can be used in baking but I'd like to try anything else. I've never tried herbalism, making medicines, or just anything else.

Any good ideas?

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend drying a bunch of them for later use. Lavender is good for almost everything. For example:

Lavender honey

lavender syrup for drinks

tea

bath bombs and other personal care items

insect repellent

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Dried lavender and chamomile make a lovely tea together. We add Lavender to our herbs d'Provence dried cooking herb blend and have made lavender sugar as well. Our favorite way is to still use it in baking though - infusing the cream with lavender for creme brulee or in sugar cookies is delightful :)

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

@chimboodle04 I am a diehard sugar cookie fan and also a diabetic which is why I do very little baking.

But yes, when I went by that lavender this morning that was exactly what was in my mind that I wished to try-oh how heavenly a batch of sugar cookies would be right now.

But I know me, got to leave that dream alone. I'll eat the whole batch and forget to tell anyone else that I made them.

Willpower can only work so well on some things and sugar cookies... nope that's a downfall.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Last year I planted lemon balm but never did anything with it. This year I got a lavender plant. I used a few lemon balm leaves and a lavender sprig and made a cup of tea. It was amazing!!!

• wbt.affiliates
    wbt.affiliates Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

I make a lavender oil for use as a bath oil, for use as a salve (with added beeswax), and as a body lotion. A local hairdresser bought some of my lavender oil. He never said what he used it for.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

Besides soaps and honey, I put dried lavender sprigs along with other aromatic herbs in my chickens' nesting boxes.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

I think its great that your lavender plants are doing good and all the above suggestions are great just please make sure before you decide to give it to someone as a gift make sure they aren't allergic to lavender, there are a few of us out there that are unfortunately i happen to be one of the few