Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Another reason to grow your own Turmeric! — The Grow Network Community
Everything you sow, sooner or later you have to reap. Life is a planting. Choose seeds wisely.

- Unknown
(recommended by TGN Member @VickiP)

Another reason to grow your own Turmeric!

bejer19bejer19 IllinoisPosts: 59 ✭✭✭

Apparently lead in turmeric is quite a problem! 😲

I've been toying with the idea of growing my own (inspired by posts on this network) for over a year now. I think this is the push to get me to actually do it!

https://newatlas.com/medical/stanford-study-spice-makers-lead-turmeric/?fbclid=IwAR0ZJJBcMzUfYvIPW5AKB0uH9SuCaJb2XJAWuSAaBQLp9lSybsv13_NtqWg

Comments

• harpianoharpiano Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

OMG! how horrible. You should grow your own because it is so delicious, juicy and fresh!!!

• JimersonJimerson Super J Pilot Point, TXPosts: 243 admin

This had me worried about my own turmeric, but further digging showed that what we get here in the states doesn't come from these processing plants that are adding lead. Not to say what we buy from the store here is perfect, but it definitely prevented me from throwing out what I had. That being said, I'm also going to start growing my own! :D

So strange that they add lead for no other reason than consumer demand for a brighter colored product. And ironically, the consumers there want a brighter product because the color is supposedly associated with higher quality turmeric.

• bejer19bejer19 IllinoisPosts: 59 ✭✭✭

@Jimerson good to hear that your deep dive discovered that US product isn't effected! Still planning to add my own to my garden plan for the winter/next year though. I'm excited!

• JimersonJimerson Super J Pilot Point, TXPosts: 243 admin

@bejer19 Ditto! Let's share our progress! :D

• VickiPVickiP Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭

I had just ordered some when I read that article. Yikes! Then like Jimerson I went a little deeper and found what I had ordered was safe, still I would prefer to raise my own. I live in the Midwest with some pretty serious winter weather from time to time, what is the best way to grow enough to make it worth while? I have wondered the same thing about ginger.

• Obiora EObiora E Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭

My brother and I grew turmeric and ginger from Hawaii Clean Seed (https://www.hawaiianorganicginger.com). We planted them this Spring and will harvest before it gets too cold. We plan to purchase more next month and will plant more next year.