How Do You Keep Your Craft Supplies Sorted and Stored?

Linda Bittle
Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

With cooler weather coming in, I'm ready to get back into crafting mode. I do lots of different crafts. And I'm having a hard time keeping everything project ready but out of the way. I've begun to use those 3 by 4 storage cubes and cloth "drawers" to store sewing tools and threads, cross stitch patterns, yarn, and the like.

But I have a hard time storing all my DMC embroidery floss in a manner that makes it easy to find the right one for a project. I've tried winding the floss on those little bobbins and filing by color number in tackle boxes. I've tried the little zip lock bags, also filed by number. Neither has been especially satisfying.

Right now, all the little bags are in larger bags by color. And I really want a more useful system so that I can easily find the colors I need to pull out for the next project.

Any ideas?

Comments

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I have a similar problem so I'll be following this thread with interest.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle , first go to a craft store and check out their storage containers. They have all kinds of boxes now with dividers. This will give you an idea what's available and what would work the best for your purpose.

Before you buy though, many of the dollar stores though have storage containers, often in the same types. If pricing is a factor, shop there first.

I am a former retailer/wholesaler where I handled custom gift baskets continuously and most of the non-food parts,, we made the "crafty" types of products. So another thing I found, especially with my extensive ribbon collection, was I took a large wooden drawer (or you can easily make it from wood) and drilled holes in the sides and ran a dowel rod thru the holes. Then I "filed" all the rolls on the dowel by color. This way you can't easily remove and replace the floss as needed but you could easily get a clip for each floss color and clip it to your rod.

For me, the best part of this was I could hang the whole rack on a wall and just pull the ribbon color I wanted fast and easy to make a bow. With a little thinking, I'm sure you could come up with a workable solution for your situation also.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am primarily a beader so I use lots of plastic containers to keep things sorted and visible. I recycle all clear plastic containers and small glass jars for that purpose. Those containers can be labeled and kept in drawers.

Sewing patterns fit beautifully in a greeting card box. Sewing fabric is kept in a storage ottoman. Other sewing tools and thread are kept in portable bins.

Embroidery floss is kept on those bobbins in a bin.

You probably have more embroidery floss than I do. Perhaps photo storage bins would be useful. I copied the colored bin photo because you could see the detail, but I bought the clear ones from Amazon for my photos. (My small pieces of ribbon are stored in small bags within larger container.)

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

So, do you just cross stitch or other types of embroidery as well?

I am not very organized(understatement), so I don't have much to offer, but this might have some ideas?

scroll down to the "Organization" heading.

I

• shllnzl

@blevinandwomba Wow, that is some website you showed us. I bookmarked it for reference.

• blevinandwomba

Yup, @shllnzl , Mary Corbet is awesome.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

re Crafts: oh you mean Needlepoint, & Emboidery, & Lacemaking, & Sewing, & ... yup, have done them all. That was... let's see, what century is this? 😀

However, am trying to keep the ever expanding... FARMacy (Supplements & Herbs) stored. The organization part of it is easy. Rather what containers are cheap? - & where? - as they can obviously Not be in Kitchen cupboards, nor in the light, & need to be kept cool & dry year round . And no we have NO root-cellar. Ideas?

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Use a mug rack holder to put your different colored threads into.

It may come in very handy as an organizer for threads of necklaces, bracelets, scarves, or materials.

Otherwise, toolboxes or cigar boxes for organizing items.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle my auntie always stored her embroidery thread on cards cut to size and set them in those clear rectangle containers with compartments. They are typically used for beads and found at any craft department.

she would label each one “blues” greens” etc.

• shllnzl

@rainbow I too am storing my ever expanding home farmacy. An utility area of my house has several items that help: no windows, a/c vents and cabinets. So far I am using mason jars and recycled brown glass jars and dropper bottles.

• Linda Bittle

I think there's a lot of interest these days in learning the old skills. I've taught people to sew on a button, and they have been ridiculously thankful.

For my herbs, I was lucky to find shelves already in the laundry area, and I picked up some cute window valances at the thrift store, and have tacked them up to keep the light and dust off my jars and bottles. I use shoe boxes and small plastic boxes to sort. Cold and flu, pain relief, tummy troubles, injuries, etc. That way I can pull off the box I need.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mary Linda Bittle - Understand about "the old skills" too. - in this Sewing thread https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/comment/841820#Comment_841820 2nd. from the bottom I explained my various beginnings... in sewing. - Altho "Lacemaking" is not for the timid, lol but we had Fun learning.

re "where" to store: the only way I could even fit most of what all we have (No pharma-stuff either) in the "Laundry area", would be to JUNK the waterHeater, & the washer & the dryer. - And given that 1 person is paralyzed from the neck down, I seriously doubt that would be a workable solution.

• Linda Bittle

I do silk ribbon embroidery, too, and sometimes just old-fashioned embroidery, like my Granny taught me.

• Linda Bittle

I do silk ribbon embroidery, too, and sometimes just old-fashioned embroidery, like my Granny taught me.

• blevinandwomba

@Mary Linda Bittle I would love to learn ribbon embroidery. I have some books and even bought some silk ribbon for it, but I haven't found the time to learn yet- and I'm nervous about ruining my ribbon.

I was just curious because I seem to meet alot more people who cross stitch than who embroider. Nothing against cross stitch, but I much prefer the look of embroidery. I am a off-and-on passionate embroiderer. Forget about it for 9 months, get back into it, take my embroidery with me everywhere, wonder how I ever didn't embroider- and then forget about again.

• Linda Bittle

@blevinandwomba I only use a few stitches in ribbon embroidery. The trick is to use a big-eyed needle that doesn't shred the ribbon. I found lots of tutorials on youtube, too. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL17WpyDqit6CWN4iac5rmjRIqZ22-n5tW