The Mighty Tomato

Along the same vein of thought as my last post (where I requested your thoughts on some unusual varieties you have grown), I'd also love your input on tomatoes.

We all know it has to be the #1 most important crop in almost everyone's Home garden but sometimes some of them just don't stand up to all the hype, at least that what I believe.

So once again, give us an idea of your best tasting or maybe the most prolific variety you've ever grown. If possible let us know whether it was a determinate or indeterminate variety (sometimes I love to stagger planting of determinate varieties. They take up so much less space and if you stagger your plantings you still get a continuous harvest).

Just as an example, last year a lady from North Carolina sent me some seeds from her family's unusual favorite. It was called Wapsipinicon Peach Tomato ( I later found the seeds are available from High Mowing Seeds). It is a yellow tomato variety but as they mature they take on a slight peach blush coloring. The flavor was also excellent.

So what types or varieties are yours (your family) favorites?

I always do all my planning and shopping during the next few months during winter (for my area)

for the next growing season so I'd love to get some suggestions from you.

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved every variety I grew. Unfortunately for me, I now eat very little tomato as it fires up my arthritis.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

We are especially found of any cherry/pear tomato. They are great for snacking. :) It seems the larger tomatoes are harder for us to grow. The only irrigation we use is rain. So larger tomatoes tend to split on us.

This year we had many plant come of from the vermicompost seeds. The fruits of these volunteers are amazing! We are def saving seeds intially this year.

Great question! Can't wait to hear what others are saying.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl I don't know this for sure but have you tried some of the low acid variety of tomatoes? I believe I've heard before that these are often workable for people who have problems with ongoing inflammation in their body.

And since that is what arthritis is (inflammation) you might have some luck with yellow ones. Most yellow tomatoes are lower acid that red. If you are going to try it though, I'd give the company a call first and ask which varieties they would recommend for you.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball That is an interesting thought... I enjoy yellow tomatoes, my husband does not (too bad for him.)

A tomato plant might work in areas that failed the landscape type....

I will buy the next yellow tomatoes I see, eat a bunch, and evaluate the result.

It would be so nice if I didn't have to give up tomatoes.

Thanks for the hopeful idea!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

My favourite are Roma. Usually fuss free, medium size and good flavour. This year I'm also trying Tigerella, so it will be interesting to see how they go. Cherry toms pop up everywhere, prolific, hardy and are sometimes weed like but I do like their persistence and sweet bite size treats.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

I don't grow a lot of tomatoes but these are some that I have grown and really enjoy eating:

• Cherokee Purple Tomato (indeterminate if I remember correctly)
    • Yellow Pear Tomato (really good tasting...I am not a fan of small tomatoes but these are good and I can eat them straight off the vine)
    • Garden Peach Tomato (a good tasting tomato and I used it with some other tomatoes to make a tomato sauce some years back that was still one of the best that I have ever had)
  • greyfurball

@jodienancarrow , I agree Roma's are wonderful. I've also tried the San Marzano variety because I use both for freezing or canning so I can have fresh tomatoes all year long. Then homemade spaghetti sauce, fresh tomato soup or vege soup, tomato sauce, tomato juice ,LOVE shaksuka made from either fish or eggs in a tomato base. No need for a frocery store can when your garden gives us enough bounty usually for the whole year.

Tigerella's I have heard of just never tried it before. After you get a harvest let us know what you think of them please.

• greyfurball

@Obiora E the Cherokee Purple has hit the market with a storm and now lots of people swear by that one. I'm not familiar with the Garden Peach variety but I know the Wapsipinicon Peach that I did try I loved its flavor both raw and cooked. I'll have to find yours and see what I think of it. Thanks

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

I just love cherry tomatoes. They are bulletproof in almost any environment and taste so delicously sweet (if given good nutrition). Snacking... yup, makes going out tot he garden and snacking on cherry tomatoes an extra fun part of being out there.

• greyfurball

@Marjory Wildcraft , I have never been a big fan of cherry or grape tomatoes.

Ease of growing, a large harvest, very little problems with them but still I'll take a full size tomato any day over the smaller ones.

I think my roadblock with them is the skin. In its small package, there's so much more skin in comparison to the skin/meat of the regular tomato. And I will take the flavor of a good heirloom variety every day. I can eat them until I break out in hives and then I still want more.

All mental but oh, it's so much fun enjoying the flavor and juiciness of a good Summer tomato.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball Thank you for sharing. I have never heard of Wapsipinicon Peach. I will have to see about trying to find some seeds for it.