Want to learn with me???

bubknzklee
bubknzklee Posts: 15 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

Hi, Everyone,

My name is Eli, I am currently studying for my master's degree to be a clinical herbalist. I thought it would be fun if I started sharing with you what I am learning.

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am always learning as a way of life, so feel free to share. I will enjoy it.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

@bubknzklee , great idea Eli.

I'm sure there is many of us which would appreciate your version of a mini lesson plans being shared with us. Thanks for the offer.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Sure! Very awesome offer!

• DeeperEating
    DeeperEating Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Where are you studying? I am suuuuuper interested in herbalism and have been thinking about doing a course of study myself. But I'm having trouble finding and deciding on the right fit!

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Sounds great!

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

One of the best ways to learn is to teach. So if you are teaching us what you learn, you will learn it better. Win, win! I'm always up for learning more and I can never learn enough. Thanks for the offer!

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi there Eli. - Nice to meet you. Very cool. Certainly it would be better to Grow one's own herbs, & use them for Remedies, than to have to 'buy mineral supplements'. --- So 1 of my 1st. questions: since the SOIL (we garden with) no longer contains the necessary Mineral amounts, as scientifically proven 90 years ago, how would any herb(s) make up for those missing minerals that are essential & necessary to sustain life ?

Too which Program are you following? Hopefully you Welcome questions, right? As another long-life learner I have endless questions...

Looking forward to you sharing whatever knowledge you can share especially re biochemistry. Thanks.

• Gardennan
    Gardennan Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

I would love it if you would share. Thanks

• amyjacobson6
    amyjacobson6 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

Hi Eli! Being an herbalist is definitely an area of interest of mine. Where are you receiving your education? There are so many choices out there! ;)

Thank you for your willingness to share what you are learning! Can't wait!

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Awesome! I studied at the SW institute if healing arts. My degree is in herbalism, nutrition and urban farming. Herbs are an amazing solution.

I always enjoy learning more from unique perspectives

Looking forward to reading more of your posts. Thanks for sharing.

• one.ette
    one.ette Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

Definitely interested in learning... it's what I do for fun! 😃

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Very generous! I am looking forward to it for sure.

You will retain more when you teach others as has been said.

• bubknzklee

Awesome!!

I so glad everyone want to join me on this journey.

To answer a few questions.

I am studying at Maryland university of integrative health. It is the first accredited university to offer a herbal master's program

As for the question on depleted soil. This is one area where your source is important. You want to get herbs that are grown in fertile/organic soil because just as with your vegetables the herbs can only give what they get. As for helping with what we aren't getting from our food there are several herbs that are very vitamin and mineral rich such as alfalfa, nettle, and oat straw.

• 7207chablis
    7207chablis Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

I am looking forward to it also!

thank you

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

I’ve heard that the wood ash from our fires and decomposed trees/leaves (no chemical sprays) helps to replace minerals in the soil...

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Yes, I’d like to learn along with you as well...

• ines871

Hi @bubknzklee - RE your response: "what we aren't getting from our food, there are several herbs that are very vitamin and mineral rich such as alfalfa, nettle, and oat straw." True, there are Trees, & shorter plants like some herbs with longg Tap roots:

Upon germination, the first structure to emerge from most seeds is the root from the embryonic radicle. This primary root is a taproot. In plants in which the taproot persists, smaller lateral roots (secondary roots) commonly arise from the taproot and may in turn produce even smaller lateral roots (tertiary roots). This serves to increase the surface area for water and mineral absorption.

So because our Western food-Supply (due to harmful farming methods) has become Critically devoid in essential minerals such as Magnesium, Calcium, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Manganese, Molybdenum, Selenium, Zinc, Chloride, & yet others, - are you saying that daily Adding in meals "alfalfa, nettle, & oat straw" will make up the difference ? aside the nutrition-starved veggies available. - All we need to do is eat those plants with a "long Tap root". That such solves the challenge of 'critical mineral deficiencies' ?

This 'critical mineral deficiencies' question is of utmost importance, as far too many health challenges arise from such. How do I know? - I worked 40 years in medicine; beyond which I have helped people with such challenges. - So thank you for your further knowledge.

• bubknzklee

By taking in herbs that are rich in minerals we help our body supplement for those minerals that are missing. The same way taking a multivitamin is supposed to work. However, herbs are food and our bodies understand how to break them down and absorb them better then it ever could any pill.

• circleoflifeunlimited
    circleoflifeunlimited Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

Thank you!

• ines871

That response combined several topics Not belonging together:

True, too many Multivitamin 'pills' are another scam); but even as most of them are worthless=Not absorbed into the cell, they do Not kill either per statistics, (unlike pharma pills/poisons can & do kill, per Alarming statistics.) - 'Multivitamin pills' mostly are eliminated in urine & stool, thus a waste of $$.

However, biologically-Active forms of 'minerals' & further biologically-Active nutraceuticals ARE absorbed into the cell, & positively/generationally improve healthy Anatomy & Function as evidenced, & easily provable by anyone so benefiting.

One of the questions asked before: "How would any herb(s) make up for those missing minerals that are essential & necessary to sustain life ?" - that specific question implies that a Clinical Herbalist knows (obviously from a client's Lab-tests) what the Baseline (of any bodily functions & minerals, etc) is, - such that after a client has taken "mineral-rich herbs" for some months, Repeat test show... the sought-after progress towards outcome Achievements... - Hence my asking What are you being taught re: How do you as well as the client Specifically know that mineral-rich herbs are doing the job?

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in lol

• bubknzklee

Actually, while some herbalist do use lab work, most do not. We learn how to "read' people often through the tongue and pulse (not how many beats, but how it beats). We also use what we see or what we feel. Then its a matter or applying what you see. The true art of herbal ism isn't saying this person is magnesium deficient, it is looking at a person and based on what you see putting together the combination of herbs that fit that picture. For example, rosemary is used to help someone who has been sick for a long time "bounce back" Part of the reason for this, is the vitamins it contains. However, an herbalist doesn't give a person rosemary because they need vitamin B they give them rosemary because she see that person needs help getting back their strength and rosemary is an herb that can help with that.

• ines871
    edited October 2019

So you're saying that you are becoming a "Clinical herbalist", based on

what the practitioner SEES with their physical eyes,

what the practitioner FEELS - That is totally Subjective, because on the next visit you (the practitioner) could be in a different state-of-mind, & thus FEEL different. - So what happens when another such (or 10) 'practitioner(s)' FEEL altogether Differently (??) - AND, most importantly the "patient" is now at the mercy of all those FEEL-judgments.

what the person LOOKS like

what else the practitioner SEES. - That is how you also "read" a person. ookay.

LAB-testing, otoh, does reveal & show problems, issues, & challenges that might even be imminent, & have the person dead before next month, without healing-Encouraging... interventions.

Yet because the ECLECTIC practitioner goes by what he/she SEES (on the tongue, FEELS with the pulse, & who knows what other subjective "read" judgments), all such grave dangers are missed.

With the mere SEEing, & FEELing where are the statistics ?, of how such "patients" fare, as far as life, & death.

Well, I wish both you, & any "patient" humans you might encounter, well.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@bubknzklee wow that’s so great and generous of you and I cannot wait !!!! Thank you very much!!

• one.ette
    one.ette Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

And don't let the hard questions discourage you! They are asked to make you think and seek for answers. It's a good thing to question...

what is your quest? Quest- to search; seek (often followed by for or after): to quest after hidden treasure.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@bubknzklee hello, yes, i would enjoy your sharing of what you are learning in your master herbalist class.

• bkpelfrey
    bkpelfrey Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

Please share, I would love to learn with you.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@bubknzklee 

Hi Eli,

I am a Master Herbalist, also studying for my clinical degree. Just finishing up one of my last two courses and then will be starting the clinical practicum. Would love to hear what you are learning via a different college. I became a Master Herbalist at Dominion College (the oldest herbal college in North America) and am bow studying at Wild Rose College.

My training Is that if there is something that appears "imminent" or "grave", they should be seen by a medical practitioner. There are some very serious issues that herbal medicine is not appropriate for.

That being said, there are many things that are missed by medical practitioners in their short 10-15 minute office visit, even with lab tests, and patients often do not know what to say to a doctor that might be pertinent. They don't train to be patients so it is up to us as practitioners to draw the information out.

While I agree with rainbow that lab tests can be very useful (and most clinical herbalists are trained to read lab work), they are not the basis on which most herbalists treat their patients. Lab tests are just another tool. Herbalists (and most other natural health practitioners) treat the whole body and try to get to the root cause of problems, not just specifics. A herbal interview can take up to two hours to get all of the pertinent information. There may be other mitigating factors which contribute to a person's condition, not just what they are lacking in vitamins and minerals and how that relates to what is going on in their bodies.

Re: Depleted soil. I think most of us who are gardening and growing our own herbs are using organic techniques and supplementing our soil with good compost and natural manures. Even though we add compost to our garden regularly, it becomes quite evident when our garden needs the addition of manure or a bit of bonemeal. So your soil will tell you what it needs by the looks of your produce and how it grows.

Watching your garden for clues throughout the growing season is much like a natural health practitioner who can look at someone to see skin colour and texture, tongue colour and texture, patterns in eyes that can lead to diagnosis through iridology, condition of the hair, pulse patterns, palpations, etc. In Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurvedic Medicine, Inspection, Inquiry and Palpation are the main diagnostic techniques and both modalities have been treating people successfully for thousands of years.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to your posts, Eli.

• kabaras
    kabaras Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

Oh cool that would fun and interesting!! Count me in!!

• bubknzklee

Yes, there are times when seeking a doctor is the right step because they have the tools to treat some things better then we do, just as there are situations (such as chronic illnesses) that herbalists are better equipped then doctors. The problem is herbalism is not the same as modern medicine and it never has been, so to rely on modern medical tools is to loose the art and science of what we do. Herbalists do not rely on their feelings like deciding if a dress makes you look fat, it is a well researched science of understanding how a plant works and how that plant can best help the person it was intended for. While some may call it intuition, it is not a gut feeling, it is research and understanding that has gone back thousands of years, longer than any blood test ever created. It is a knowledge and understanding of the person and the plant and how they fit together. When an herbalist knows there plants they know what people and situations that plant was created to help. An herbalist does not need a diagnosis of Crohn's to see that someone has gripping, or intense stomach pain, and needs wild yam to help that problem. Just as you don't necessarily need a blood test to see that someone's depression could be caused by a vitamin D deficiency. Simply by asking specific questions about their depression and gathering information on their diet is often enough. Now, if an herbalist has a client on vitamin D and is not seeing improvement a blood test might gotten to ascertain if a larger amount of vitamin D is needed. or a referral to a doctor to check for a problem absorbing vitamin D. However, the blood test would not be the first step in choosing what herbs a client needs. There is too much fear in today's society that medical tests are the only way to figure things out, but doctors and herbalist were helping people long before x-rays and lab tests and those methods are still valid today. Just because I have a cell phone does not mean that I still couldn't talk to my mother using a rotary phone.