As the Seasons Change

We are still in the 80's in north western central PA but seemingly overnight from no colored leaves to spots of color and this morning whole trees. As summer comes to an end what are you trying to collect before that first frost? Has anyone had a wow find this year?

Comments

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

Leaves, lots and lots of them.

My problem though is I only want the organic ones. I do live in a rural area but all around me is metropolitan areas. And that means Lawn Doctor and all those kind of companies hound the residents to get their yards treated. So I can't just go pick up leaves from anywhere/anyone else because they are full of chemicals.

I always have organic straw and organic alfalfa grass but with safe leaves, I have a year's supply of fresh browns for my compost pile.

So to me dead leaves are gold!

• probinson50
    probinson50 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

I am in North Georgia. Leaves are turning and falling, but we are still in the 90's during the day, so it doesn't feel like fall yet!

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

in Southern New Jersey and it’s been pretty warm here still, though we did have one pretty chilly night. The leaves are just starting to turn. Probably the best wow moment I’ve had this season is the kale. We had never grown kale before and we had four plants. After harvesting twice, two of the plants are still producing!!! Also I used fresh herbs to make tea for the very first time!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in northern Metro Atlanta and like @probinson50 said it is still in the 90's here. I have been making oregano and basil oil this summer and want to make some more before our first frost. That might not be until mid November if the heat keeps up the way it is. I also want to dry both spices and my lavender as well. I have sweet potatoes I'm waiting to dig up b/c the vines keep growing and growing with this extra warm weather. I can't wait to plant my winter garden.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

I wish the season would change.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@bcabrobin I hope to collect more Chinese Chestnuts and Black Walnuts before the first frost. I also hope to find some acorns too.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually still am able to Harvest various Berries... (sometimes even in December 🤩), & Flowers bloom in my rainbow.

UM, in September we had two nights of below Freezing for over 4 hours. - And next week its supposed to be 29 degrees Yikes !! during nights for couple of days. How bizarre.

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Out collecting black walnuts now. Finished up the garden before our first frost here in northeast PA. Getting ready to build a cattle panel greenhouse. Too many deer in my yard anymore, even with guards and fencing they manage to do damage to my fruit trees. Anyways everyone keep on plugging away. Love hearing what everyone is doing.