Quail question

Could someone tell me if quail would be a good choice for meat and eggs on the homestead?

I know they have a short turn around for hatching eggs, but I was wondering if they have a place on one's homestead?

Best Answers

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin
    Answer ✓

@silvertipgrizz Depends ;-)

They are smaller than chicken but they are more silent and can go unnoticed in more urban homesteads. You need more quail to get the same amount of meat or eggs and as with chickens there are breeds more suited for eggs and others more suited for meat.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓

Definitely! I know several folks who raise them - I plan to, as well, soon. They are productive, easy to raise and incredibly delicious. The eggs are a true gourmet delight and you may find a market for them in your area. A local barbecue joint used to serve quail every Tuesday, purchased from a nearby farm. This isn't a 'gourmet" area, but there are plenty of hunters. People would stand in line and they would sell out every week!

• one.ette
    one.ette Posts: 54 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I have a friend who has lots of experience raising quail, chickens, ducks, and geese. She is actually thinking of downsizing to raising quail because she thinks they are the best tasting meat and eggs, and easiest to raise.