Lectin and psorasis and autoimmune disease

video by Dr Gundry worth watching:

I couldn't find a category that really fit but this is well worth watching and eye opening. He is peer reviewed and has written many papers over the years and maintains a real good rapport with his patients. I think you will appreciate his work and willingness to be truthful with people working with his patients to do everything he can to help them return to health.

Comments

• bmaverick
    bmaverick Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

Stopped eating foods made, processed and fermented with gluten. Next, no more psoriasis. Gluten plays a major roll in weakening the immune system. Lectin deals with the other troubling proteins. Dropped peanuts and soy out of the diet decades ago as well before knowing the lectin issues.

He has connected some of the dots and some of the missing ones too.

I'm not into taking something to prevent symptoms when gluten or lectin are consumed. That's like masking the problem. That's why I'm not totally sided with Gundry. However there are things he does very well for linking much of it together.

Anyone else with thoughts on this topic?

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did the Gundry diet for about 6 months. My headaches reduced and my skin cleared up. You have to give up 75% of the good foods out there. I was able to identify some food sensitivities with such a restriction.

While watching one of the health webinars, a doctor was asked about the Gundry diet. He acknowledged that people could have problems with lectins. Then he said "It's like throwing the baby out with the bath water," referring to the loss of all the positive benefits of these vegetables.

As this group knows, vegetables are the basics of good health, so I started to introduce vegetables back into my diet.

Nowadays, I limit the nightshades, soy and conventional wheat products. I am trying the vegetable-based pastas. I eat chocolate that has high cocoa content. I eat sourdough bread.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, I have wondered for some time why people might say that tomatoes were not healthy. I have eaten them my whole life. They are the biggest part of my garden. But in this video he mentioned that many past generations 'skinned/peeled the maters, and de seeded them and it was because of lectins. He also mentioned, of course beans, which I already knew re their lectin content...but I pretty much ignored the bean issue because it never bothered me.

I have decided I am going to follow some of what he says regarding the beans and maters. A tomato will still taste good without the peel and seed after all. Maybe I will notice better health?? Even though none of this seemed to bother me. Could very well be I just never noticed. But the life long effects of this knowledge will help a whole lot of people including those in my family with psoriasis and auto immune.

• silvertipgrizz

@bmaverick

I quit eating processed food a long time ago and felt better almost instantly. One day some time after I quit eating processed I had the best tasting bologna sandwich, but was a LITTLE heavy on the salt. Within about 30 min or so I felt so sick and I knew it was the sodium AND msg.

As much as I like bologna sandwiches esp with tomatoes...Have not eaten one since and that has been a long time ago now.

My favorite comment he made in this video:

Some other doc commented that he was wrong and his response: Where are your peer reviewed papers? Not to mention all the patients/people he has helped with documentation and their acknowledgment of improvements as well.

He is one of a growing number of doc's that are willing to tell the truth about what is really known about the Rx, AMA, ADA, and so on.

The best to you all

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing Dr. Gundry said that made sense: thousands of years in Asia and they don't eat rice with the bran on it (lectins there) and breads had been developed without wheat bran (lectins there.)

If we are to acknowledge that thousands of years of herbal knowledge have value, then white bread and white rice probably have health value too.

I love the texture of brown rice but I don't eat that or whole wheat anymore. I strive to get my fiber from the vegetables that I eat.

• silvertipgrizz
  • silvertipgrizz

I also found that interesting about the white rice after being lied to by the fda etc for so long.

I also noticed a couple of days ago after eating a new recipe of scalloped potatoes that I felt so very good afterwards for a couple of days in a row. It had to be the white/russet taters. Imagine that.

• circleoflifeunlimited
    circleoflifeunlimited Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

I have been following this type of diet for a few years. It's been awesome.

You actually learn to eat different things and you learn new recipes to love, so you don't miss the old processed food and lectins and etc.

I'm feeling like I'm getting younger instead of older.... that is nice!

A few years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac. Through lifestyle change, diet change, and 2 years of many lifestyle changes I no longer tested positive for auto-immune disease. That is a really big deal!! There is a lot to this, including healing the gut as #1 priority.

Gundry shares some great advice.