What to do with diakons?

chimboodle04
chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Cooking

Does anyone have a good recipe or suggestion for using diakon radishes? I grew some as companion plants for cucumbers and now they are huge! Wondering if I can actually use them for food now that my cucumbers are done???

Comments

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I love daikon. Its supposed to be good for your digestion, by breaking down fats. It's also pretty low carb.

You can eat it raw, with dips- not my favorite, but ok. You can cook it in soups and such; like other radishes it gets milder once cooked. My favorite use is in kimchi. I follow a basic napa cabbage kimchi recipe, just substituting grated daikon for the cabbage.

I've seen quite a few daikon pickle recipes, like this https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/pickled-daikon-and-carrot-do-chua.html

and I think I've had it and liked it- I just can't remember!

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

I dice it up with potato, carrot, summer squash, red pepper, and mushroom and stir fry it in coconut oil.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited October 2019

Roasted with meat or pickled is my favorite. Radish greens are also very good.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

@csinclair461 @judsoncarroll4 so... I've never actually cooked with radishes (I come from a family of you add them to salads or eat them with salt and thats about it...)! Do they still taste like radishes when cooked? Are they still crunchy? Thanks for the suggestions! :)

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Not really. Roasted radishes (with salt and oi) are much sweeter and more mild. Parsley and thyme are nice compliments. They are quite good. They become soft and rich tasting. THe greens are great, just cooked in a pan with some oil and salt (or bacon drippings, etc - any fat)… maybe some onions and crushed red pepper, if you like, but definitely dressed with some vinegar on the plate. A roast chicken or beef roast with most any root vegetable is very good - carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, radishes, turnips, parsnips, salsify, etc... and always, some ribs of celery... celery root is excellent, btw. Salsify is also good with the greens, because radish greens have a slight oyster like flavor.

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

Daikon is called "Rettich" in German and is a favorite for a cold Oktoberfest salad. You grate it and add some salt and let it sit for a bit. Then you add a marinade of oil and vinegar or sour cream. Enjoy.

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

@chimboodle04 I just realized I missed this. They do get softer - like a potato or other tubers. They are mild and dont taste like radishes to me

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chimboodle04

Another recipe for kimchi for your radishes. This one calls for the breakfast radish so maybe you could use your diakon's in stead. I know that diakons are used for kimchi in other recipes.