PG&E to cut off power to up to half of Calif 58 counties, pray for the sick ones on oxygen etc

Comments

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz - Sorry, can not read the rest of that, because "You have ad-blocker turned on". You got that Right. At any rate, I will pray... as I now run to work.

Please, give it your best to have a nice day, my friend.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbow

My friend,

I'll try to find another article re this for you sometime today. Feel free to remind me if I fail to do so by later today..lots of chores outside today.

Have a great day yourself!!!

• silvertipgrizz
    edited October 2019

@rainbow

And anyone else interested:

A different news paper, without ad block so I think the content will be accessible.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

Yes I heard about this on the news last night. But people who need medical equipment which must run by electricity are always given a battery back-up pack for just this kind of emergency as long as they have medical insurance. If you don't get it, ask for it.

The law was changed few years ago when there was that big hulla-ba-loo because that nursing home in Florida lost (I believe it was) 11 patients because of an outage in that state. So it is my understanding now, anyone on this type of medical equipment, the insurance company must offer a back-up protection plan also.

The law isn't perfect but it sure is better than the days when there was no protection at all.

• ines871

Aawww, dear @silvertipgrizz - you did not need to go thru that extra trouble, as I got the gyst of it, & prayed... Anyone affected by it, would be Safe. Thank you. - Additionally, what @greyfurball said is also, supposedly true. - That said, you can Not count on either the Utility comps, or Insurance comps to care, except for their bottom line.

Case in point: this past decade, after no less Intentional medical Malpractice put me into Heart-failure, on top of that disaster, I got stuck with a diagnosis of CHF, & because of course I refuse all pharma, No one allowed me to return to work, so the License lapsed. - CenturyLink is the provider of 911 services for the state’s 7.4 million residents, according to the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission. Then Qwest, now CenturyLink had a 911 outage for just 1/2 day. Other states with 911 outages included Massachusetts, Minnesota, Arizona, Utah and Missouri. - https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/911-outage-in-washington-and-other-states-triggers-federal-investigation-of-centurylink/ But during just those few hours 5,684 calls to 911 call centers failed to be routed. - Worse, due to a longer CenturyLink computer-failure a 911 outage over a Holiday weekend, which left us (& like millions other souls) with NO phone for 4 days, The disruptions affected calls from both landlines and cellphones, & cost others in over 3 states their very life. - of course on Mon, CenturyLink announced that would be fixed “as quickly as possible.” - yeah, right. NOT.

They were sued by WA state for like about a mere $3 million. ... Guess who got to foot that bill ?; certainly Not Centurylink. - So then there was a class-action lawsuit filed against them for Overbilling, which btw, we got stuck in for over TEN years too. I don't know the outcome of that. - At any rate, you can Not trust any big corporations to CARE about others.

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

I agree - we need to learn as much as we can so that we can handle situations on our own without panic. Hopefully we will always have the infrastructure available, but there are never any guarantees.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

Most people who know their life DEPENDS on that type of equipment also had better have a backup plan already in place in case of an emergency.

Yes, I know there is some who don't. But inclement weather, natural disasters etc can come at any time to anyone and anywhere. The "hiding your head in the sand" and assuming bad things can't happen to your area of the town is just plain foolish.

Since that news report starting airing though, the part I really love to hear is all these people stating "well if they know their equipment is old and outdated... why haven't they changed it then?"

Now who do these people think is going to pay for it? It's sure not the company... the company uses the money from their month;y statement. So complaining about high bills and outdated equipment in the same conversation is pure lunacy. If you want safety and protection (as best as possible) you are going to pay for that in one way or another. To keep costs down this company has opted for using their old equipment as long as it is still serviceable. But for safety practices, yes they are shutting off the power.

Every single person knows depending where you live there is something you will have to contend with. Some live in a flood plain, some live in hurricane or tornado zones, some live in wildfire areas and on and on. You need to learn to adjust and prepare for that disaster or move out, go somewhere else and then teach yourself new safety protocols for what might happen in that area.

A temporary inconvenience in your life is just that...temporary. If you are prepared that inconvenience can be downsized. If all you do is bitch and groan... well I for one consider you deserve what you got.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

Yet another reason why one should take complete responsibility for life and health. We've had it good-electricity, running water, computers, etc.-such an convenient way to live. Are we certain we will always have it so good?

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

PG&E is being sued for causing the devastating California wildfires last year. Shutting their system down now prevents them from being blamed for any new wildfires during this time frame.

• silvertipgrizz

A lot of very good points here.

The thing that I remember about pge is, the fires last year, and the people not being allowed to go back and repair and remain in their homes on their property, ie they got kicked off their land and I think at amounts far below what the home/property was valued.

That was quite bad enough,

But the really bad thing they did was the poisoning of water and the people and their families..children ...that died because of it.

pge has built a foul name for themselves.

I did see this am that because the wind was insignificant, or for what ever reason they started restoring power. I do not know how true that is but one of my news feeds had it listed and I just had time to glance at it..........still working on upgrading my outside cats shelter.

The best to you all.

• ines871

Hi @silvertipgrizz - re the Intentional... Poisoned water, & Theft of property: You spoke the truth. Problem is too many still are Not aware, of what's really going on.

I pray you get it all done for your precious animals.