What do you use CBD oil for?

Amy
Amy Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

I am curious as to what everyone is using CBD oil for?

Comments

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

I am finding it useful for pain (a broken metatarsal bone), muscle strains and a sleep aid when needed. I'm increasing use with my animals because of the excellent results I'm seeing-kid debudding, past spay/neuter surgery, to help calm a buck prior to hoof trimming and a doe past giving birth to triplets (if I'd given birth to triplets with my first pregnancy, I'd need something stronger than CBD LOL).

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joint pain.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Arthritic stiffness. Anxiety.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm considering it for my 10 pound dog that has seizures. I'm currently using hemp oil, along with one half of his prescribed phenobarbital dosage, twice a day. It has really calmed him down a lot, and no seizures since March!. But if his epilepsy increases, which it sometimes does, I'm open to CBD oil. Prior to the meds, he was only having one every 4 or 5 months, but the 3 hours of pacing, whining, and increasing anxiety leading up to the brief seizure made me fear he was going to burst something. After one month of 15 mg of phenobarbital twice a day, my vet had a medical emergency of his own, and I could not easily get refills - next nearest vet is 60 miles away, so I researched, and my dog has done quite well with adding the hemp and cutting the meds.

Does anyone have experience with CBD in small dogs with rare seizures?

• shllnzl

I wonder if there is much difference between hemp oil and CBD oil? I think it is just different ways to label hemp seed oil. To my knowledge, THC enhanced product is not given to animals.

www.cannanine.com sells hemp oil for pets and has information to read on the subject.

• Gardennan
    Gardennan Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

I'm using it for anxiety and to help steady moods. Really does seem to help.

• Teresa Klepac
    Teresa Klepac Posts: 24 ✭✭✭

My husband and I tried CBD oil for about six months. We didn't have any major issues but we were hoping that it would just improve our overall health since we are over 60. We discontinued using it after that time period because we didn't notice any difference and couldn't justify the cost. My son tried CBD oil instead of phenobarbital on his dog experiencing seizures but she continued to have them so he resorted to the phenobarbital. We were really hoping that it would work on us and the dog! I guess every body is different.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I am using a CBD salve on my puffy sinuses, it helps quite a bit. I am trying it on damage knee. along with other things, seems to help.

• merlin44
    edited October 2019

@shllnzl Briefly, hemp oil and CBD oil come from the same plant. Hemp oil, considered to have nutritional benefits, from the seeds. CBD oil, from flowers, leaves and stalks, cannabinoid found to have medicinal benefits. Both contain trace amounts of THC but not enough to produce the psychoactive effects of hemp's cousin-marijuana.

• shllnzl

@merlin44 Thanks for the clarification. I just went and reread my CBD bottle's label to discover that it has CBD PLUS hemp seed oil.

• Amy

Thanks for your comments on if CBD works or not for you.

I would agree to make sure you research it for use on animals, especially cats and dogs. I have used essential oils with farm animals but never thought to try the CBD oil.

I have the CBD oil with Terpenes that I purchased on the special buy from The Grow Network. I have been using one drop under tongue twice a day for a couple of weeks but I believe I need to increase it. I am taking it for everything that ails me!! LOL! Mainly pain and anxiety.

Keep sharing!

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@merlin44 what is a quality brand, and where do you buy it? Also, is it a topical or an oil to ingest?

• merlin44

@teachercaryn I purchase from Lazarus Naturals online. I find it an excellent product and they offer a deep discount for veterans. But I would be remiss if I did not mention Marjory Wildcraft has a group buy of CBD products. I am unaware of the details but certain it's worth your research. I make use of capsules and tincture.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Hi @shllnzl I am working with Doc Jones and a variety otf testers on a CBD formula for cats and dogs.

• Marjory Wildcraft

Hi @teachercaryn Yes, the Grow Network has been selling CBD oil for a while now. We did quite a bit of research to find a potent, effective oil. It's for sale in the shop, and we are also about to offer gel caps and a full-spectrum version. We have priced this very very competitively... and yes, thank you @merlin44 for mentioning that we do have monthly 'group buys'. When I can make a larger order I can pass on the lower cost so I can offer you a discount.

The biggest feedback we get, other than how effective it is, is appreciation we have low prices and we don't change them. Apparently some companies start low, and then increase the price on you.

• Marjory Wildcraft

I use it to keep me calm. Reducing anxiety. This organization is growing rapidly and there is tremendous stress in managing the cash flow (or lack of 😉). If it were just me, it would be so much easier... Being a CEO and having a team comes with the weight of responsibility of knowing the families that work for TGN depend on their income. It magnifies the pressure.

And then there is the ton of other deadlines and stuff. LOL

You know for me, I didn't notice much fromt he CBD for almost two weeks. I was just about to give up actually. Then it dawned me me, that hey, I really was taking a lot more in stride and feeling better. WHen I stopped for a while, I noticed the stress creeping back in.

• Marjory Wildcraft

Oh! I almost forgot... in all fairness, while almost all of the TGN staff love the CBD, Merin, our editor didn't like it at all. She has some posts about it somewhere in the forums here. But it affected her adversely.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

This may be what I need at this moment. thank you all for your answers.

• Amy

Marjory, Thank you for mentioning that it took a couple weeks to see affects from the CBD. I purchased some thru TGN but only gave it a week and stopped cuz I didn't notice results for stress and sleep problems. So, I will give it another try.

• Heidi
    Heidi Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

I use CBD for sleep, joint pain and the occasional anxiety/stress flair. It did take a week or so before I felt the effects. I make a tincture for the joint pain and take under the tongue for sleep/anxiety. Looking at trying to make so "gummies" to have on hand.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

My father is 82 and up until 6 months ago was taking a variety of pharmaceuticals for, arthritis, heart disease, prostate cancer post surgery and starting to complain about being old. I set the seed and suggested CDB oil. After many protests etc he has now been on CBD Oil and doesn't take any other medications and says he feels the best he's felt in years. In Australia it's basically still illegal, so I make it for him, I also mix some essential oils with it for added health bonus. Frankincense, tumeric, rosemary and clove. He's happy and I also take it. 5 drops under the tongue, am and pm. The dog gets a couple drops on her food. My wife and my wicked stepmother also have gotten on board, after seeing my father and I thrive!

My dad did speak to his GP about taking CBD Oil, he is not a fan.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

I'v purchases it from several places for my husband he was taking it regulary but then stopped he says he didnt seem any different with pain but he was taking it for a good month. when he stopped for a while he did notice his pain came back. i think with any herbal remedy the body gets used to it and so taking a week of is a good idea.

i just got cbd 15 mg sleep blend for my husband from world of nutrition its by Solaray leaf theraputics each capluse contains465 mg of hemp seed extract and hemp aerial extract and 35 mg of their sleep blend it works great for him

• babygrand53
    babygrand53 Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

I use CBD oil for my headaches, any aches and pains I have and for overall body inflammation. Also topically for skin irritations. I take it usually once a day when needed, about 7-8 drops under the tongue. Topically I use 1 drop and rub in on the area needing it. So far I've had good luck with it, meaning it seems to help. I get mine from the Grow Network Group Buy.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I tried using it for stiff joints but really had no effect after three months. I think it is the same as any plant/herb remedy, they don't have the same effects on every body.

• Aylee
    Aylee Posts: 5 ✭✭✭

I do the group buy from the Grow Network. It is high quality CBD, although I think a little less ow then some time ago when it was more green and had a stronger smell.

I started using it for chronic pain due to degenerative disks in my L5-S1. On the days I forget to take it I am shocked at the level of pain I experience whereas pain is a minor issue when I take it regularly. It did take a while to get consistent results. I used to just take the oil without a capsule but then I started putting it in empty caps and got the unexpected result of it helping to heal my gut and lessening my reactions to foods that I am allergic too. I am grateful that it has made such a difference in my quality of life.

I wonder if anyone uses along with turmeric?

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

yes my husband has been using it along with "golden paste' because turmeric needs black pepper with it to not just go right thru our system so i make a golden paste from a recipe and he puts that in a lot of stuff.