Starting seeds in the house

bkpelfrey
bkpelfrey Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Vegetables

I have been a gardener for years but believe it or not I have never started my own seeds. This year I attempted and failed miserably. Can anyone share some tips with me and do I have to have grow lights?

Comments

• wbt.affiliates
    wbt.affiliates Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

Don't worry about failing when it comes to starting seeds inside. I've failed numerous times. Several things need to happen while starting seeds, and failure to do any of them will inhibit growth. Seeds need dark, undisturbed, moist (not wet) soil. You won't need a grow light or a bright window until the primary leaves appear.

I live in an arid climate, in a forest, yes, but still arid. Then, in the winter, the air becomes even drier, with the furnace and the wood stove stealing away moisture. My most common way to kill plants as they emerge from seeds is to fail to take that into account. I run a business from home, so it's easy to forget the needs of my baby plants.

The easiest way for me, since the air will never be moist enough to keep the surface of the ground from drying out is to cover the plant beds with plastic. There will be air space between the top of the soil and the rim of the bed. So, for example, if I'm using a tray, there is space between the top of the tray and the plastic wrap. (Note: If you don't use plastic in your home - more power to you - you can use a moistened towel or cloth over the tops. You just need to remember to keep it damp.) You will, of course, make sure the soil below the surface remains damp, and again, not wet, which is hard to regulate sometimes.

The ground also needs to be away from freezing nighttime temperatures, which may mean keeping them AWAY from the windows until the plants emerge. At that time you can move them to a grow light or to a sunny window. I have an indoor greenhouse in my office where I put the seedlings. They get lots of sun from both the eastern and the southern windows there. I also have a grow light over one section of the kitchen counter where I put another box of plants. Unfortunately, I don't get enough from either a grow light or a window to grow tomatoes inside during the window, but I CAN start them in February for robust plants to go outside once the mountain air warms up.

Inside, during the winter, I can grow cole crops, lettuce, and other plants that don't mind the cold.

I hope this helps. Happy indoor gardening!

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

My first attempt was a miserable failure too. Practice makes perfect, or at least produces useable seedlings. My southern window did not offer enough light for plants to grow past emerging, gro lights corrected that. With some, I found it necessary to make tiny greenhouses to keep them moist enough, recycled plastic containers from store bought fruit successfully for that.

• bkpelfrey

Thank you guys for your advice. I will definitely be trying it again come spring.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

Also keep the grow light close enough to the plant. If it is high up, the plant will weaken itself trying to quickly grow to the light (it will be leggy). Probably 2 to 3 inches from the plant is good. However, it may depend on what type of grow light you have.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Can you provide any further specifics on what happened to your baby plants? Much can go wrong, but once you figure out the cause, each is pretty easy to rectify for next time :)

Make sure you start with actual seed starting medium to plant in, not just any old garden soil. This is usually a lighter consistency and devoid of nutrients. Also, make sure your planting pots (or whatever you are using) has been thoroughly cleaned. I find it easier to wet the planting medium thoroughly before putting any seeds in - this prevents smaller seeds from floating to the side of the container and getting washed away. I also prefer to bottom water sprouting seeds and young plants for the same reason as they are developing roots.

Make sure your seeds are planted at the proper depth as this varies with each variety (and some should not even be covered in soil since they need light to germinate!) Cover the newly planted seeds with some sort of cover (If you have not purchased a seed starting kit which comes with one, I find those clear plastic tops to baked goods you can buy in the store work well) to help the soil maintain its moisture, but remove the cover once you see signs of growth (or the seedlings could rot). Once they sprout, they will need light. There is a good chance that the light on your windowsill will not be enough, so if you want the strongest seedlings, a grow light would really be your best bet. As stated above, you do want to keep the light just a few inches above the plant tops so that they develop strong stems. Putting your light on a timer will also help to ensure they get a good amount of light (since winter daylight hours are not enough for good growth - at least where I live!)

Once they set their first set of true leaves, you will want to start a fertilization schedule (remember, they are in "soil" that has no nutrients in it...) I like using diluted seaweed mixture, but just make sure that it is appropriate for baby plants - not all fertilizers are created equal... As your plants grow, they may need to be potted up to a larger container - the soil you put in this container can have nutrients in it, so you could possibly let up on the fertilizer you have been adding until now.

Two other tips: Some seeds also need warmer soil before they will sprout, so putting them somewhere warm (like the top of a fridge) or using a seed starting mat will help. Also, I usually have a fan blowing on my seedlings from when they are young (just enough air to make them move slightly in the breeze). This will help them from getting some diseases and also help in the development of strong stems.

Good luck with your next batch and keep at it - it is worth it!

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Have also gardened for years and never started from seed. I hope to this year. Checked a book out at library about lights and learned a lot. “Gardening under lights the complete guide for indoor growers” by Leslie F. Halleck

• bkpelfrey

My first attempt failed with leggy plants but have done a lot of research and purchased me a glow light. Looking forward to trying it again this year.

• karolstiegman
    karolstiegman Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

Some years I have been able to grow all my seeds indoors and other years none of them made it. What I know is the best seed is grown for the current season. Older seeds need to be properly stored and that is part of the problem I had. Also be extra sure your potting pots are clean. I have had success with bottomheat on matts or on top of older refrigerators. Once true leaves are developing, the seedlings needed light (close lights worked best) and food. I had lots of leggy starts before I made sure the lights were close enough. Even if only half make it, its worth it for stronger, bigger plants.

• 7207chablis
    7207chablis Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

Last year I did it for the first time and it took me several failed attempts but I finally managed it. I have grown tomatoes out of my own collected seeds. First I put them on a South facing window and everything was always drying out even if I was putting water. Then I left for holidays and was closing all the blinds except in the toilets room North facing. I decided to put all my pots below this window. When I came back one week later they all had grew so much, I couldn’t believe it. This year I decided to go for the North facing window and all my seeds are growing!

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Last year was my first year starting from seeds. It’s a learning curve. But there is something so gratifying when you plant a seed and you’re able to nurture the seedling plants until it’s time to put them in the garden. Definitely worth the effort. Seed starting soil is very important for starting seeds. Make sure you have a cover on it or cover it with plastic wrap to keep the humidity and moisture in until germination happens. Once your 2nd set of leaves (true leaves) appear, take the cover off and get them under a grow light that is only a couple inches above the soil. Raise the light as the plants grow. Very important to keep the soil moist but not saturated. Don’t let the soil dry out. You might need to water it once or even twice a day. Follow the recommendations on your seed packets as to when to start your seedlings based on your frost dates. It’s also good to talk to gardener’s in your area as they will be a wealth of information for you and your growing area. Good luck in your gardening endeavors and your seed starting! You will absolutely be hooked once you start your own transplants from seeds.

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

I ordered grow lights and the books I recommended on An earlier post on Friday, among other stuff, from Amazon and some of the stuff is already here, so I am all in on starting seeds this year for the first time. I ordered the seeds from Baker Heirloom Seeds.