Persimmons

peppypoblano
peppypoblano Posts: 92
edited September 2018 in Our Garden: Growing Food
Where are you located?  I’m in northern CA and people grow persimmons but I’ve not seen wild ones.  Pic?

Comments

• peppypoblano
    edited September 2018
  • peppypoblano
    edited September 2018
    We are in north central Arkansas.  They are everywhere here.  A favorite among the raccoons.
  • alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Love it, thanks!  People grow the Asian varieties here.
  • Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 20
    edited September 2018
    Is there a cold hardy persimmon?  I haven't tried finding any yet.  I'm just getting started on my fruit and nut tree adventures.
  • peppypoblano
    edited September 2018
    Alindsay22 ours are American persimmons.  They are smaller than the Asian variety.

Wendy, I'm not sure if there are cold hardy varieties.  I have read the naturalized ones can be found as far north as Connecticut but short of that I don't really know.
  • EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Got one in my fruit tree shipment this spring by mistake. Grew pretty good. Just outside the normal grow zone for this persimmon. Will see if I can coax it along here in northeast PA. Will find out in the spring. Anxious to see. Will watch to learn more about persimmons as I am not familiar with them at all. Thanks for the info.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Growing up the family across the street from me had a persimmon tree. I remember eating them as kids and thinking they were so bitter but w r really didn’t know if they were even ripe. So many of the wild plants, trees, and bushes were loaded with fruits; what a great time!

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

@EarlKelly There's a recent discussion (thread) on persimmons you might find interesting. Just search Persimmons.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

We have tons of wild persimmons here in NC! I only harvest after the first frost, so they won't be bitter. They are so, very good! I have persimmon jam and even old persimmon wine recipes, but I usually eat them out of hand. You have to get all the little specs out or they become super bitter again when cooked. So, now I am scouting trees to harvest - they are really full this year, which is a sign of a hard winter to come. Finding the trees serves a dual purpose, as the fruit attracts a lot of game for hunting. I keep a mental map of all persimmon, apple and hickory nut trees in the areas where I can hunt!

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wild persimmons grew all over southern Missouri, where I grew up. Mom likes them better than I do. The winters get pretty cold there, and you had to wait until a hard frost to harvest them. Mom generally didn't cook with them, but would harvest a bag to eat.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

The best bread/cake I ever made was with native persimmons and black walnuts. They are delicious.

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@merlin44 finally got a chance to check out the thread on persimmons. Thanks for the info.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

@EarlKelly I love any food that falls from the sky like persimmons do. LOL

@VickiP Can you share the recipe?

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

@merlin44 It was a zucchini bread recipe I just used persimmon pulp instead of zucchini and added black walnuts. I don't have the exact recipe now but I would think any banana or zucchini bread recipe would work. It is a wonderful combination. I no longer eat bread or cake so no joy for me, I might make some for my husband though.