John Moody – Beyond Elderberry Syrup: Everything You Wanted To Know About Elder But Were Afraid To A

System
System Posts: 121 admin
edited October 2019 in Home Medicine Summit 2019

Join The Discussion With Your Insights, Revelations, And Epiphanies Below

Comments

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

I had no idea that elderberries had such a long history. I find the ripe ones yummy enough to eat on thier own - although it's not quite as good as a apple.

• sonbyrd
    sonbyrd Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

Very inspired to plant some elderberries now!

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Just in time! I just ordered 10 elderberries.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you John. You added to my knowledge base of elders. I really appreciated your information on the history of elder as well.

The best to you and yours and thank you for participating in the summit.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was an especially charming presentation. You don't often have history lessons with your gardening.

I had a good giggle over the obsessive compulsive vampires and how they are stopped.

Thanks for the great information.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited October 2019

I am currently listening to this presentation. I am planning to get some elderberries to grow this next summer to see how they do in my province in Canada. My goal is to sell elderberries if they do well.

Judo? Awesome! I am a judo wife & mom of a very competitive bunch. My husband & oldest are going for their blackbelts at Christmas (a new club is our goal), a blue, a green and two young, very tough yellows! We recently started BJJ to improve our groundwork. A family that fights together stays together. Maybe one day we will meet! Judo people are the best. Can I follow your judo family somehow? 🥋💪👊

Finished listening. I will certainly want your book. 😉

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am too adding my Thanks to you John = another walking Encyclopedia :) - an "Edible & Medicinal FENCE", whod'a thought.... - my German Grandpa had a Black Elderberry hedge... on the west-side on top of the hill in his Magnificent garden, & he always kept it pruned back, so that I (ages 1 - 4) could not try to eat the berries as they grew. Because every year Grandma would make the most yummy Syrup for our pancakes, & other goodies, as well as for keeping us especially in winter well... - Thank you so much John for sharing with us all about Elderberries, & for your encouragements to Grow our own 🤩 ...

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

I have a decorative Elder - Sambucus nigra - Black Lace - right outside my window. It is a tree I grew from a cutting as part of my practical exam at horticultural college, so I'm rather attached to it. It has lovely pinkish flowers, and dark berries. However, I rarely harvest it myself, as the nearby woodland edges have plenty of the regular variety. I prefer to use it to provide for wildlife - hoverflies love the flowers, and birds come in from the woods to feed on the berries. So I can sit by my window and enjoy the show my college work provided.

My Welsh grandfather swore by elderberry wine as a cold cure, and took a shot of it at night as a preventative.

My favourite way to use elder flowers is in a cake - elderflower drizzle. I make a very strong tea with as many blooms as I can fit in a pot, then dissolve sugar into the resulting bright yellow liquid and add the juice of half a lemon. Once the syrup has cooled, I pour it over a plain sponge cake (ideally a tray bake) that has been perforated with a fork all over to fully absorb the liquid. If you want to make the cake fancy, reserve some syrup and add to a buttercream icing to pipe over the cake to hide any large fork marks.

• Gil
    Gil Posts: 5

When we were kids, we ate on the fresh elderberries all summer till they were gone. We never got sick, just purple fingers and face, lol.