Bevin Clare – Herbal Medicine Kit For International Travelers

System
System Posts: 121 admin
edited October 2019 in Home Medicine Summit 2019

Join The Discussion With Your Insights, Revelations, And Epiphanies Below

Comments

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Good morning! Whoo hoo, get that coffee maker humming and enjoy. I travel a LOT, and wow, was this presentation spot on with advice.

🛫 🛺 🚕 🚅

• Karman
    Karman Posts: 1

I can't believe she recommended highly toxic DEET and Perimethirn

Permethrin - is a synthetic pyrethroid insecticide and neurotoxin. It is more acutely toxic to children than to adults. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has classified it as a human carcinogen and it has been shown to cause immune system damage as well as birth defects. Note: Pyrethroids are highly toxic to fish, crustaceans, and bees. For that reason, EPA has established restrictions that prohibit their direct application to open water within 100 feet of lakes, steams, rivers, or bays.

https://www.beyondpesticides.org/assets/media/documents/mosquito/documents/citizensHealthEffectsMosqP.pdf

• Wilma
    Wilma Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Marjory, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Any traveling tips you think I should add from a fellow wanderer?

• Wilma

Hi Karolina,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on permethrin. You are correct is has some toxicity and risk -- and shouldn't be used without careful consideration. I certainly don't promote it as a first line insect repellent, but when you are in an area with a high risk of malaria it's pretty hard to avoid using something synthetic and adequately protecting your family (one of the reasons millions of kids still die from malaria). So, it's a personal choice as to what you use but protection is absolutely critical and DEET and Permethrin are two effective options. I can saw that in over 50 countries of travel with my kids we have used these chemicals on two specific occasions where we were in sub-Saharan Africa and there was a high risk, Otherwise, we rely on covering up and natural insect repellents.

• Lyda Eagle
    Lyda Eagle Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

I am very susceptible to yeast. The best I have found is to use coconut oil and tea tree essential oil. I am allergic to all the medical ointments that doctors give so had to find a way to treat it. I get it under my breast very easily and this can get rid of it with just a few treatments. You can also you oregano essential oil as well but the tee tree tends to work a little faster.

When I feel a sore throat start I heat up a mug of water, add juice of a lemon, raw honey, and ceylon cinnamon. (This is not the kind that is usually in the store. But it is much better for you and has some great health benefits. Works amazingly well to drink this.

Thanks for all the info on this, great for all the time even if not traveling.

• Wilma

Thanks for sharing, Lyda! These are helpful tips and yeast can certainly be a huge issue.

• charlenewatters
    charlenewatters Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Short guide to cinnamon: Ceylon is the only REAL cinnamon. Vietnamese and Saigon are cassia and have too much coumadin--a blood thinner. So people on blood thinner meds need to be aware of the difference. I find Ceylon more gentle and a bit sweeter and order it by the pound from Frontier (organic).

• Wilma

Yes! I'll post below a short blog post I wrote on the subject:

Cinnamon isn't always the same plant -- there are four commonly available types of cinnamon and they can be quite different in taste, action, and chemical composition. Each of them are from the Cinnamomum genus in the Lauraceae family, and they are all from the sweet bark of a tropical tree.

The most common commercial species you will see is Cinnamomum cassia, a spicy and stronger cinnamon is typically from China and is the majority of what you will see on the market. The preferred medicinal species, however, is Cinnamomum verum (which used to be Cinnamomum zeylanicum). This is a more delicate and complex cinnamon and is much sweeter.

All of the commercially available species of cinnamon have been studied for use as medicine, mainly in their application for blood glucose regulation. Cinnamomum verum, or "true" cinnamon has shown the most clinical promise, although all cinnamon demonstrates some activity.

If you want to learn more about the 4 species of cinnamon this highly technical but fascinating article looks deeply at the varying chemistry and characteristics between them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3983393/

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you! This was very interesting. Loved the black tea tips!

• Jessica
    Jessica Posts: 1
    edited October 2019

Thanks for the presentation, @Bevin

About 39 mins, you mention a poultice for bug bites. Which herbs/spices might you suggest to include? I have a ten year old that is delicious to many insects and I'd love to help her with the itch factor especially. She's worn poultices I've made before so we're OK with compliance.

If a second query is OK, how about poultice herbs for strains/strains/bruises type of boo boos? I just tripped on black stone steps in Greece and my ankle is swollen.

In appreciation! Rachel

• Wilma

You are welcome!

A poultice for bug bites can be a lot of things -- think of what you might have around. Favorites are plantain, dandelion leaf, and / or chickweed. Plantain can be really easy to find it many yards if you look up a photo of it (Plantago major).

For your second questions, I really like hot and cold soaks, perhaps some lavender. Calendula can be helpful but really, rest and elevation are the best. I hope it feels better soon!