Mark Albrecht – Keeping Your Back And Knees Supple And Strong

System
System Posts: 121 admin
edited October 2019 in Home Medicine Summit 2019

Join The Discussion With Your Insights, Revelations, And Epiphanies Below

Comments

• Linda
    Linda Posts: 3

Since the link's missing, Mark's website is: http://www.balancedbodiesaustin.com/

• melbetology
    melbetology Posts: 6

I’m feeling better balance immediately. Many thanks. 🌿

• Adele
    Adele Posts: 18

Very good content. I was wondering how we should also focus on breathing when doing the lifts and gardening? I know that sometimes when lifting I tend to hold my breath. Is there a more efficient way of breathing to focus on.... as I know that oxygen going to the muscles and such can affect our endurance etc. Thoughts? Kathy

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed this presentation. All my life I heard "lift with your legs, not your back." That was/is good advice, but rather vague. I always tried but found follow through the tough part.

I like the stretches that were shown and did them with Marjorie. I was pleasantly surprised to notice that my knees were immediately more comfortable in a deep knee bend.

Once again I am amazed at how seldom we get information in its simplest, commonsense form. Kudos to Mark for making the moves simple.

Marjorie, you asked the best questions!

Thanks for the important information.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mark Albrecht

Great presentation. Thank you for coming up with simple easy to do exercises to get your body ready and to strengthen it. My husband and I both have bad knees and bad backs. Every exercise program I have found seems to use the deep lunges and things that we are currently unable to do or can only do one or two moves before we are either hurting or worn out. Your examples give us the chance to start smaller and work up to more intense or deeper moves. Also, love the fact you show what your explaining not just the standard "lift with your legs" or "don't bend your back". Much easier to understand when we can see what your suggesting while you are explaining it.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I have an old knee injury that doesn't seem to get better with age Ha-Ha, But I really think the knee circles and figure eights will benefit me a lot! Thanks

• jandicelis
    jandicelis Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Great presentation, very important topic! Marjory!! you´re outstanding, with a great body consciousness and best questions, thank you

I frequently focus in my body postures when I´m gardening.

For me the worst positions and trickiest ones for the body are when I'm trimming vines or trees from below. I find it difficult with neck, shoulders, etc. Hope some next time summit could tuch on those situations.

Love the summit, so far! thank you

• Katrina
    Katrina Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

Very good information. Thank you. As I age, I have noticed that working long hours in the garden take more of a toll on my body. Therefore, last year I invested in a good body back support. I still follow good body practices, but when I am going to do a lot of heavy lifting and bending I put on this body support and it really helps support my back. I also have a really sturdy floor step that I put by my cupboard to raise me up. It is amazing the difference that step makes. I did not do the back support until I turned 77. I usually work between 6-8 hours a day in the garden when it is planting time and weeding time and harvest time and clean up time. Well, I think you see what I am saying. Fortunately for me, by keeping in touch with my body, feeding it correctly, and healing myself, I have no arthritis and no pain other than occasional problem with a badly injured knee from years ago. I do have a personal sauna that detoxes and keeps my body healthy. Therasage sauna is amazing. ( I am not affiliated with company) . Thanks for all the info. I will begin the knee circles tomorrow. Namaste

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

I appreciated the knee warm ups. It is a very simple exercise, but it made my knees feel less tense - very little effort for such quick results.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't it Amazing: such info in its simplest, commonsense form. -

Fortunately, as a child snow-skiier & sprinter & gymnast, my body continues Flexible so my joints... retain their ease of freedom. - However, too often try to "muscle" my way thru l.o.n.g. Repetitive tasks, injurious to my 40 yr.old "C-1+2" neck injury & that is a problem. - To take the load off, (plus beyond Gardening) I need to be more consistent... in CORE-exercising, a continuing challenge for all iceskaters, as well as the ONE Skill-set everyone of us gardeners would also benefit.

RE the " Five Minute Exercise program " that @Mark Albrecht saved his daughter with: am Wondering If we could access this ?

• Lyda Eagle
    Lyda Eagle Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

I Think this is a great presentation. We all to often never think of what our movements do. Or how we should be moving. I have had multiple surgeries and now have limited movement and am always in pain. PROTECT your back and the rest of your body. You never imagine just how limited your life can get when you can no longer do daily activities with ease.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Hi @jandicelis OK, I'm taking your suggestions to heart for the next one. Thanks!

• Karen
    Karen Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

As a senior, I am trying to improve flexibility and strength over the winter season. Think of this as a time of opportunity to get healthier and stronger for the spring and summer gardening, canning/freezing/drying season. Baseball players have spring training, this spring training time for me. The presentation is inspiration for it.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi there, were we considering every day "Spring training", have you ever wondered how much better the body naturally would respond... Just a thought worth entertaining 🙂... Have a nice day !