Maria Noel Groves – Brain Boosting Herbs

System
System Posts: 121 admin
edited October 2019 in Home Medicine Summit 2019

Join The Discussion With Your Insights, Revelations, And Epiphanies Below

Comments

• maria
    maria Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

So excited to be part of this event today! I'll be here to answer questions until 5 pm eastern time today (Friday). After that I am not going to be near a computer but will do my best. Especially after 5 pm ET today, feel free to email me direct at office@wintergreenbotanicals.com with your questions, and I will reply on Monday. :)

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

HI Maria, so glad to see you online this morning.

• maria

Yes, me, too! :D Our power and internet came back on late last night after the storm - so grateful!!

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

@Maria Noel Groves where do you live? Are you one of those lucky ones living way far out in a beautiful place 🌳

PS: I have recently discovered emoji's and am on this emoji kick. My kids tell me I am a decade behing, but whatever....

• maria

Haha! I'd like to think I'm in a beautiful place! :) I live in New Hampshire. My property is two acres of garden/house/woodlands, and I am surrounded on all sides by the largest developed state park in NH. We're somewhat remote but still centrally located, about 30-45 minutes from a couple of New Hampshire's bigger "cities."

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the books! I am listening now while I work (bookkeeping day for me.) At nearly 61, the health of my brain is a big concern. Women on Mom's side of the family have suffered from Alzheimer disease in their later years, and I hope to avoid that.

• maria

While nothing in life is a guarantee, the herbs (as well as diet and lifestyle) are likely to have a huge impact on both immediate cognition and long-term health. <3 I personally take gotu kola daily, the other herbs frequently, and I've been adding lion's mane mushroom powder to many of my breakfasts. Happy herbal adventures!

• maria

Thank you! <3

1. Yes, both books talk about glycerine in tinctures, but there's much more about glycerine extracts and nuance to tincture-making (including adding glycerine) in Grow Your Own Herbal Remedies because we had a bit more space for discussion in that book. Adding 10% glycerine to your high-tanning tinctures can really slow the "goop" process down!
    2. I don't really baby my plants very well when they come indoors, and I will admit that they don't necessarily thrive here but they usually survive til the next growing season. They hang out primarily in indirect sun and I use "plant nanny" (or similar terra cotta) stakes with re-purposed wine bottles filled with water to help them stay watered since gotu kola and bacopa are needy and would ideally be watered 1-2x/day (which is not happening in my house). I still have to give them a good drink periodically and refill the glass bottles. Rosemary is less picky and more about just making sure not to overwater (cardinal sin of rosemary) yet not get so forgotten for so long that it totally dries out. I use glazed ceramic or plastic pots for the water-hungry Indian herbs and terra cotta for the arid-loving rosemary. You can even let gotu kola and bacopa sit in dishes of water (which is a cardinal sin for most container plants, but not these sludge-loving plants), and the warmer they are, the happier they are. I hope that helps! Also don't feel too bad if they don't thrive indoors - they're all somewhat tricky indoor plants. But if I can do it - you probably can, too! Good luck!
  • Loretta
    Loretta Posts: 5 ✭✭✭

Love your licence plate, Maria

• ashish09
    ashish09 Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

Best presentation of the series so far - full of great content and with helpful slides! Thanks so much!

• maria

Thanks so much! <3

• maria

Thank you to Marjory and the Grow Network!

• sonbyrd
    sonbyrd Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

So much great info! Thanks so much, Maria and Marjory!

• Nikky
    Nikky Posts: 8

Thank you! Good, thorough presentation. However, I have read with Lemon Balm though it is very good for the thyroid, to not take it if you have no thyroid as it interferes with absorption of meds.

• Lyda Eagle
    Lyda Eagle Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

Great presentation. I would love to hear more about her other book as well. Hopefully she can come back next year and talk about it.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

GotuKola+Bacopa. Rosemary+lemonBalm+spearMint+Clove-basil+Ashwaghanda Thank you @Maria Noel Groves HRBLST for all your really helpful... details &

Your book https://www.amazon.com/Grow-Your-Own-Herbal-Remedies/dp/163586013X looks so inviting... Wonder how these herbs would affect my already Photographic memory, & recall, lol

• maria

Good question! That's a common concern, but it's really not likely to be an issue. It's based on lab studies on hyperthyroid tissue using three or more herbs together (which included bugleweed, which is more overtly thyroid-suppressing). Some evidence suggest that its benefits in hyperthyroid are more from the standpoint of quelling inflammation and autoimmune response while supporting the nervous system (which is good for just about anyone). While it's always a good idea to listen to your body to make sure an herb really does agree with you, I personally work with many clients who have hypothyroid and/or are on medications and have not seen any problems. This is echoed by the International herbalist community as well - in clinical reality, we just don't see lemon balm being a problem. I use it comfortably alongside hypothyroid disease and/or thyroid medications.

• maria

Thank you! Definitely feel free to get my book on Amazon - that's often more affordable and convenient for people, and I can't compete with their prices and free shipping. But I only make 60-70 cents per book as an author when you purchase it on Amazon, so if you'd like to easily support the work I do AND get a SIGNED copy WITH OODLES OF BONUS GOODIES (remedy videos, extra e-books), you can purchase it through me at https://wintergreenbotanicals.com/book/ :)

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@Maria Noel Groves - Have never heard such a crazy thing before. Why in the world would any Author get less than $1 for their Book(s) on amazon?? - And 2nd. question: in that case, Why does any Author agree to Sell there ? - Can you explain, please.

EDITed :so went to your site, but need to buy with "Pay-pal", Bad past experience with that outfit, sigh.