1750's bread with pumpkin water from one of my fav groups

Comments

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I really enjoy this guy's videos as well. Thanks for sharing.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Good stuff - thanks! Speaking of pumpkin water and such... where I come from, pumpkins were a major part of winter food storage. Seeds were saved both for planting and eating (soaked in salt water and then roasted), pumpkins were cooked down and either made into pies, used in soups and breads or canned. Some pumpkin meat would be dried for storage, too. But, one of the most interesting things folks would do was to cut out a hole, just big enough to fit a hand in, by cutting out the stem. They would scoop out all seeds and soft stuff. Then, they would fill it nearly full with sugar water and add some bread yeast. It would be stored in a cool, dark place. The hole is loosely plugged with the stem piece that was cut out, so gas can escape. This "pumpkin beer" could have several other additions/flavorings... but, it is good, if a little funky, just as is. It needs about 30 days to ferment, but that is dependent on temperature. You have to check daily to make sure the pumpkin isn't getting soft - once it does get soft, transfer the beer to jugs or bottles before the pumpkin gets too soft to lift or move.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VickiP

You're welcome!

• silvertipgrizz

@judsoncarroll4

I love the pumpkin beer ferment idea. I'll bet you could also turn that into a pumpkin mead. ????

How long do you soak the seeds in salt water and what temp and length of time to roast?

You're just a plethora of good cooking ideas. 😀

Do you want a copy of my salsa recipe?

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

OMG!! My project list keeps growing every time I log in! LOL, love this. Thanks for posting. I will invite these guys to the next Home Grown Food Summit.

• judsoncarroll4

@silvertipgrizz Yes, you cold definitely make mead in a pumpkin. The preservative qualities of honey may even hep keep the pumpkin firm a little longer. Beet sugar was what the old folks always recommended. I usually soak the pumpkin seeds overnight in salt water- enough salt to taste like sea water. I found your salsa recipe in the post you mentioned - looks great!

• silvertipgrizz

@Marjory Wildcraft

I was sure hoping you might consider that.

consider going to their website and ordering their free catalog.

So many awesome things in their catalog. It should be easy picking specific things for them to do a presentation on for you. One of the things that really interests me is when he builds an earthen bread oven. I'll include links here for their website and the bread oven video:

Ok, these will keep you busy:

https://www.townsends.us/collections/merch-store

The catalog is free and is #39 not too far from the top of the page.

Here is a page from some of their sewing supplies:

His earthen oven video

• silvertipgrizz

@judsoncarroll4

re the salsa, it is very good and is not one that requires cooking. don't forget to salt it as soon as you get it made so the flavors will burst to life and not taste drabbbbbb lol

On the beets and a few other questions for you:

What is the ratio of beets to water and how much yeast. Also, what do you meant by funky?

How would I sub honey for beets, or better yet could I make some beet sugar water and then add honey when the beet water cooled? I'm asking because I have 2 pumpkins in my living room and I got them for the seeds mainly so would really like to try your recipe.

Lastly, how hot the oven for roasting the seeds and how long to roast?

When you have time. I won't be doing anything with them before Sunday.

Share anything you like about cooking lol when ever you want.

• judsoncarroll4
    edited October 2019

Okay... beet sugar... that is old fashioned sugar. You could probably make it yourself... but I don't know how. The old folks grew beets for sugar and made sugar from apple juice... but I never have.... I imagine that you would boil down a syrup.... but I've never done it.

Yeast.... 1 little packet of bread yeast... it will grow to consume as much sugar as is available.... if there isn't enough sugar, it will die... but any amount is good enough.

Funky... well, if you've done any "country wine" making - fermented fruit juices and stuff... well, most often before it goes dry... when the sugar is all gone... there is a slight taste of "spoiled"...

For sugar water. dissolve about 2 lbs of sugar into 1 gal hot water.... probably do the same with honey... but I haven't tried it.

Roast sees at around 225 F until "done" dry and crunchy.... be careful not to burn them... spread thin on a cookie sheet, like one layer... your nose will tell you