Homemade Christmas Gifts??

merlin44
merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2023 in Hobbies: Indoor & Outdoor

Christmas displays in stores mixed in with Halloween, I find ridiculous but for DIY'ers, it is time to start thinking about Christmas gifts to be made.

Goat Feta Cheese, goat milk soap, fermented horseradish and honey garlic are on my to do list for holiday give aways this year. What plans do you have for unique gifts for friends and family?

Comments

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

This year, I think we will give Krupnikas (not sure if that is spelled right, but it is a honey spiced liquor made from grain alcohol) - last year, we gave homemade jams and birdseed ornaments to hang outside :)

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

Wow - I am so impressed with all of you. I would love to get Christmas gifts like that. I get lots of chocolates and gift cards - it seems that few people take the time to actually think about what they are giving and to make it personal. I, too, am guilty as charged. Lately I have been trying to make some things myself - I've made soaps and elderberry syrup. I've been inspired by your ideas to try some new things this year.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I make cottonwood salve, and pour it into small tins. I will post my recipe for it later today.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I have made solid lotion and perfume in the past- the basic one part beeswax, one part cocoa butter, one part coconut oil- add a little essential oil and it's lotion; add a lot and it's perfume

Mostly I make food- mostly sweets. No, its not very healthy, but it's better than store bought, and well, it's Christmas. I make candied peel, fruitcake, cracker toffee, spiced nuts, and sometimes homemade chocolates. I'll post my spiced nuts recipe later if anyone is interested.

I have also done homemade graham crackers, granola, snack mixes, and herbal teas.

One year I tried making herbal vinegar but something went wrong and they all spoiled.

• merlin44

Where do I sign up to get on the gift lists of you lovely people? Such creative ideas (and I will be borrowing many of them in the future).

@circleoflifeunlimited How wonderful it must be to have family so close. And to have goat milk to nourish them with.

You'll find no better soap than Goat Milk Soap, gentle enough for babies but can remove paint from a grown man's skin. My recipe:

12oz Milk, partially frozen

3oz lye

4.25 extra virgin olive oil

5oz coconut oil

12oz vegetable shortening or lard

Melt olive oil, coconut oil & shortening/lard in one pot, heat to temperature of 115 degrees.

Place partially frozen milk in a large bowl, SLOWLY add lye, stirring until mixture is smooth and without lumps. Let cool until temperature is between 95 and 100 degrees.

Add oil mixture to milk/ lye mixture slowly, stirring continually until mixture traces. Fold mixture with spatula to remove bubbles. Pour into molds.

Remove from molds after 24 hours. Let cure for two to four weeks.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

I’m making garlic oil and oregano oil and elder-flower oil

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@merlin44 I did my first goat milk oatmeal soap with a recipe very similar and when i went to put it in a mold it started to "set up" and was very warm. someone said to try powdered goat milk have you tried this before?

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

When I first meet a person, & soon after I get to know them a bit, I ask them to Fill-out my "What are your Favorite things" page (like the Sound-of-Music song), where I list : Music, & Flowers, & Sweets, & Plants, & Hobbies, & Herbs, & Sports, & anything else they might enjoy... I created this page when I was 20. Why? - because I enjoy immensely seeing friends Happy... with something they really wanted that I can lovingly 💜 artfully craft for each precious 💜 Individual.

So for this year, since I am learning more about HERBS, I was thinking that most of our friends might enjoy these Hawthorn Berry Cookies https://www.bulkherbstore.com/blog/hawthorn-berry-cookie-recipe/ , or the HEART Tonic , what do you think ?

• merlin44

@nksunshine27 No, I've never tried powered goat milk. Were you able to pour your soap into the molds? I've stirred too long before and had my mixture begin to 'set up' , was able to get the soap into the molds and the final product was fine.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Wow! I’ve been thinking much about the same... Making handcrafted gifts. I grew a bunch of basil and am hoping to make some all purpose cleaner with it. Was also thinking about lavender sachets (my daughter is a home care nurse, has one hanging in her car, and uses it when she’s feeling overwhelmed by the day). @chimboodle04 i do like the bird seed idea n that may be another “on the list” items to make this year. @monica197 what are beekeeper bags? @rainbow i used to make dozens of cookie trays every year n due to health reasons was unable to continue, not to mention they were loaded with everything not healthy. I like the idea of making a healthy alternative. Last year I made scrubs for gift giving and my friends loved them!

• circleoflifeunlimited
    circleoflifeunlimited Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

@merlin44 Thank you so much for the goat milk soap recipe. I will try it and let you know how it comes out! Maybe I can add this to my Christmas gifts.

Yes, it is great having family close. I really love being able to help with grandkids daily. Also, my daughter is very interested in all the natural lifestyle things that I am into, so we get to work together on much of this.

Thanks again for the recipe!

• circleoflifeunlimited
    circleoflifeunlimited Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

Been thinking a lot about this since the topic started recently.

Here are a couple more ideas:

Felted mittens and boots. This came to mind since it is starting to get cold! Every year about this time I start making winter warmies from the wool from our icelandic sheep. It is really not too hard to do, and I've seen some good videos on youtube. I also want to try needle felting, so maybe this year I can try that.

It's almost time to harvest willows for basketmaking. This is a fun skill that is not too hard, just takes time. It is really fun and I like to invite friends over and do some of these crafts together! Watch for basketmaking classes in your area, and I bet youtube has some good online tutorial also.

I've also found really good tutorials for home made goods at www.instructables.com.

• nksunshine27

@merlin44 i think i actually had to heat it backup or somthing to get it in my pringles can mold , it was crumbly at first buy i loved the soap anyway and would love to make it again. i added healing essential oils to it while making it

• ines871

@nksunshine27 I too go with family & friends to Value Village twice monthly: 88+% of what we have came from a Thrift store. It's fun looking... for the latest treasure: be it Clothes, Household items, thick Flannel sheets, Down-comforters, Shoes, Slippers, yet more! Bookcases lol, creative gifts I made & like you all kinds of useful things. - Some of the presents that people know I make, they say "How did you come to create such a clever thing?", & then share... & they reciprocate. Ah yes, *dear friends*

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

I already have voilet and danilion vinegars, honey and jellies made. teas from herbs and forging stuff from the homestead. Made elderberry honey. make lotions and salves. But this year the big thing is a first aid bag, with the salves, rubs etc. guaze, bandaids, etc. Everything you could need in your bug out first aid bag. I also made lilac jelly.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Oooook then, I am thinking I should abandon my plans to pass out homemade cookies and breads. These such great healthy choices!

• wbt.affiliates
    wbt.affiliates Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

@nksunshine27

I have to mail all my gifts. None of my children or grandchildren live close by, so I need to think about weight and postage, also if I have the right sized boxes. Furthermore, I'm on a fixed income, so finding things I can afford to send or make is always a challenge. Thank you for your insight, though. It was a great idea.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

I have made gifts most years. Mostly cleaning supplies or natural body care products. I’ve been giving my recipe with each product to encourage them to continue making their own.

This year I’m making hydroflask bags with pockets. And then I will buy hydroflasks for the littlest kids. I made myself these water bottle carriers for a summer concert and I LOVED it. It’s great on short hikes and farmers markets. It holds my phone, keys and water so I’m hands free!! Yes basically a purse but the bottle sits upright (and is insulated) for ease. #drinkmorewater

• nksunshine27

I usually make things that will fit in the "if it fits it ships" boxes from the post office for sending fatherinlaw and motherinlaw gifts, i do know its tough on a fixed income kinda in the same boat.

• merlin44

@herbantherapy Do you have a picture you could post of a hydroflask bag?

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@monica197 so those are bees 🐝 bags. Too funny; I have (purchased) beeswax wraps and love them. Also an excellent idea for home made Christmas...

• ines871

Aside the Healthy goodies I shared in this discussion before, have delightful Gingerbread 🙂 presents been mentioned already? - Also easy to ship such cookies; oh so Yummy... 1 of several family traditions I started:

us Decorating our bigger Outdoor Christmas tree with all kinds of nuts & seeds, for Woodland animals

also taking Decorated plates of Stollen, & Mints, & Gingerbread, & Herbteas & a small lit candle etc to neighbors & further friends &

further Decorating our little Indoor Christmas tree with as well

all kinds of Gingerbread cookies, we ate after Christmas to stretch out our festivities...

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

You know, it would be cool to do some sort of Christmas exchange on here...just a card with info on who you are, where you are, maybe some general pictures, a tiny, light inexpensive/homemade gift of some sort if possible.

We have members from all over the world. It could be fun and very interesting.

If anyone has kids, that could also be fun for them.