Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Daylight Savings Time — The Grow Network Community
If you are raising heritage poultry, The Livestock Conservancy is doing a census and requests your help.

Daylight Savings Time

Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, MissouriMary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Other News

I do not like moving the clocks an hour back in the fall or an hour forward in the spring. It annoys me every time I have to do it.

Years ago, I bought a clock that reset for the time change twice a year.But then congress changed the dates, and no one told my clock. I had to reset it 4 times, by changing my time zone to account for the forward and backward until my clock caught up. (I've since thrown that one away!)

My little dog is telling me it's time for his supper, and the cat is pacing behind my chair. I have never yet been able to explain why we do this to my pets.

Comments

• gennywugennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

I totally agree. I dread every time change and cannot figure out why this is still necessary. Now it will be dark by the time I get home from work and I can only enjoy the outdoors on week-ends. I find that very hard.

• merlin44merlin44 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭✭

The chickens don't seem to notice, dogs and cats don't seem to care but Congress really needs to explain their reasoning to the goats. Goats do not appreciate change and when its dark, it's barn time!! LOL

Think daylight saving time is a concept that has outlived it's usefulness, if it ever had any. Arizona gets by just fine without it.

• greyfurballgreyfurball Southeastern PennsylvaniaPosts: 592 ✭✭✭✭

I used to have relatives which lived in a small town in Indiana. We visited a couple of times (from Illinois) when I was a younger kid and I could never figure out why when an appointment was made with the neighbors there was always a discussion about "my time or your time?".

The families that lived there had their own method figured out but as visitors my parents always had to be sure we were showing up at the right time.

And these people lived across the street from each other! What a rat race that was!!!

• @merlin44

Never had goats myself. But I'd love to see Congress try to explain it to them! They rarely explain anything to me in a manner that I can understand.

@gennywu

I get off work at 6pm, and I hate that my evening walks with my little dog will be taken in the dark.

@greyfurball

My family all live in the Central Time Zone, and I'm on Mountain Time, so it's always hard to figure out when to call Mom. It's a little better than when I was 2 hours later than her in the Pacific Time Zone. But I left Missouri in 2006, and she still can't figure out how "her" time relates to "mine".

• deejcvedeejcve Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

I know it's almost impossible for those still "working" but maybe our bodies would perform better if we would just rise with the sun and rest when the sun goes down. I know I do better with that schedule for most of the time since I retired.

• merlin44merlin44 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

@Mary Linda Bittle Personally, I think the goats would win the argument. LOL

• maimovermaimover Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Yes I agree; pick a time and keep it. The adjustment gets harder on the body as years go by.

• wbt.affiliateswbt.affiliates Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

My goats never understood the time changes either. Although the chickens didn't care so much. However, I mind a lot. As far as I'm concerned, only Arizona has it right.

• HassenaHassena Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Indeed! It is certainly an oddity. It seems it would be so much better to rise and shine with the sun and set with it too.

• EarlKellyEarlKelly Penn state master gardener Northeastern Pennsylvania zone 5bPosts: 230 ✭✭✭

Just think in a few weeks we can have this insane discussion with the the goats again as we jump ahead. Never understood it, just wish they would quit it. Think we all would feel better.

• I agree, only the goats cared on the farm. I totally think the goats would make their point to Congress with a swift, hard head butt. Hmm...that may be what they need lol!

Our Lab we have now does care. If I am late with her evening meal she comes to remind me by pushing on my arm (I'm in my recliner at that time lol). If I'm very late my Yorkie will jump up and stand with his front paws on my tummy and just stare at my face. But then they are a little goofy when it comes to food...what they can eat, what they will eat and why they think they should be eating all the time lol.

• KarinKarin New ZealandPosts: 272 ✭✭✭

The worst thing about daylight saving is getting up in the dark! I like getting up when the sun rises, I think it is much better for keeping our circadian rhythms as they should be.

• HeidiHeidi Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

I dislike the change as well. Pick a time and leave it. It does no one any good, disrupts everyone's life from newborn to the elderly, and the animals even seem to stress. Oh well, guess all we can do is complain.

• DesireeDesiree Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

I dislike it as well, it does disrupt our natural body rhythms and can take days to weeks to readjust. I would be happy with out it.

• Dennis BriesDennis Bries Southeastern WisconsinPosts: 12 ✭✭✭

One of my hobbies was making clocks. It was always a pain!!! to change the time back and forth each spring and fall. Solution -- the only clocks I change now are the alarm clock and the kitchen clock!! I let the batteries die in the others and let the remainder be an hour off = most are right at least once a day or twice a year!

• judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 3,392 admin

I basically opt out. My lifestyle is not dictated much by the clock... I haven't worn a watch in 25 years or so. I guess church is the main thing for which I have to schedule. For the post office, bank and such, I just go sometime during the day when time permits.