What to build from some free wood

Karen
Karen Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

A friend gave me a truck load of free used wood. Some 6x6,4x4s and other miscellaneous pieces. Also some rolls of 4 ft chicken wire. I'm thinking a fairly large compost bin for leaves, grass, and horse manure (have lots of that). Maybe some raised beds with the wood. I'm planning on starting a Back to Eden garden this fall.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Hi Karen, IF someone would give us "6x6, & 4x4s, etc", I would Build a Super-duper (lol) GREENhouse. Yes, Siree ! - And, if you are in a Legal area, you could build a Chicken enclosure, IF you are able to handle such a project too.

Too, forget a "compost bin". Why? - Because for a "Back to Eden" garden, you can just do Lasagna-layers = much like a Natural forest does, & build UP your layers with your leaves, grass, horse manure, etc. over & over yadda, yadda until its at least 10 inches or even deeper... - You will have Nutritional FOODS ... ('coming out of your ears', as the saying goes) in other words, you may well end up sharing some with your neighbors & friends, as I have done for many years. - Have FUN !

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

If some of that wood is plywood, you could possibly make a food dehydrator. There are some great instructions for a large capacity one here - https://www.backwoodshome.com/build-this-sturdy-large-capacity-food-dehydrator/. Years ago I had 2 just like it and boy did I put them to work! I loved having the large space between drying shelves. Some of the things I dehydrate don't always lie flat and need extra room and I hate having to leave out shelves to have the needed space. That just reduces how much I can do at once and I usually have huge batches of herbs to dry. Arrrrgh!

• Karen

Great idea, Thanks!

• Karen

Thanks for all of the great ideas. Also comments on not worrying about the compost bin with the Back to Eden method. Food for thought!

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Got a hold of some nice oak pallets. Now have enough materials to put up my cattle panel greenhouse. Made mostly from recycled material. Should only have a couple hundred dollars for the new stuff couldn’t come up with. Excited about getting it up and running. Love all the ideas being discussed.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Raised beds and keyhole gardens. to make the compost right where you are going to use it, in the garden beds. With crop rotation and allowing a garden bed to rest while the compost is working it's magic is great too. Sooo many ideas.

We do a mixture of both. Compost bin for holding materials until we are ready to dress the top of a garden bed with it. Then we top the gardens during the off season, in our case it's during the winter. When the soil warms up, so awakens the mighty worm to break down those materials.

happy growing.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

With any end cuts, what about kids blocks? Sanded and painted with something non toxic, these would make great Xmas gifts.