The "Little Ice Age"

greyfurball
greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

Have you ever wondered why almost all of our Christmas traditions center around cold, wind, ice, sleet and snow etc.?

After all most of this country never sees any snow fall any time of their winter season. And then it's somehow supposed to fall all centered on just one day of the year.

Well it seems there actually is a reason for this. And for a change it's not all a marketing ploy dreamed up by an advertising agency somewhere in the past.

The reason was "The Little Ice Age". Yes, this country actually did have one of these climatic phenomenons just a few short centuries ago and it is responsible for all the Christmas advertising we are accustomed to each and every year.

Check here for some background information so you can understand the how and why!

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/why-do-we-dream-of-a-white-christmas-11694

Comments

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

That is really interesting! I wonder if the little ice age happened gradually, or if the transition to longer winters happened quickly. What a time to grow and produce food. Def good to have preservation skills.

This really makes me want to build a walpini. :) Of course sunlight maybe an issue if winter clouds are around more days. The plants would be well insulated.

Thanks for sharing.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Hassena Thanks for introducing me to a new word. Walpini. I have seen earth-bermed or partially underground greenhouses but not one that is completely underground with a glazed roof. I think in my area, it might need supplemental lighting as the sun doesn't get high enough in the sky during the winter. But a great idea!