Does this look like a good recipe? I've only made from box mix and want to make my own.

Comments

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't made it in years, and I don't remember what recipe I used, but I compared it to two others. It looks reasonable. It might be a little dry- it is a little lower fat than the others I looked at.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I have not made a bread like that, but a real, old genuine fruit cake recipe (not with the neon, weird "fruit") would be rich and moist... lots of butter and brandy, orange juice and candied orange peel... maybe some nuts...

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread (I used to make this all the time.)

2 eggs, slightly beaten

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup oil

1 cup thick pumpkin puree

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup chopped fresh cranberries

1. Combine eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin; mix well.
    2. Combine flour, pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl; make a well in the center.
    3. Pour pumpkin mixture into well, stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
    4. Stir in cranberries.
    5. Spoon batter into two greased and floured bread pans. (8 by 3 3/4 by 2.5 inch pans)
    6. Bake in moderate 350 degree oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl

I have two pumpkins waiting to be roasted and pureed. I will try this recipe.

Why don't you make it anymore?

Thank you for the recipe!

• shllnzl

@silvertipgrizz You're welcome to the recipe.

I used to give away loaves of bread as gifts. I also used to freeze some for later use.

I found this recipe to be moister than other cranberry breads I tried. The pumpkin makes a nice contrast.

I have found that if I make it, I will eat it. My husband has no interest in that type of food. I am trying to reduce the amount of flour that I consume.

• silvertipgrizz

@judsoncarroll4

So would I take an old recipe I have for real fruit cake and use only cranberries, candied orange peel and soak in the brandy wrapped for a couple days like the good fruit cakes were made?

• silvertipgrizz

@shllnzl

I can't wait to try it. I never thought about using pumpkin in a cran/orange quick bread.

A question for you re a recipe I have for zucchini bread. My recipe calls for a full cup of oil. The bread is real good, exect it is oil heavy taking away from the taste because of it's heaviness if that makes sense. Recommendation? i would like to sub some of it for pineapple??

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Cranberry orange is one of my favourite combinations for bread and muffins. Your recipe looks like a good one. Good luck with your efforts!

• shllnzl

@silvertipgrizz I would try your pineapple substitution. Quick breads are pretty forgiving and you could add in additional flour or zucchini or pineapple depending on the dough texture. The main thing to watch for is cooking time may be longer or shorter.

• silvertipgrizz

@shllnzl

So what do you think about this:

instead of 1 cup oil, 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup pineapple? Esp if I squeezed most of the juice out of the p/a? I'll play with it some and if it turns out good I'll post the recipe as I have not found one online that incorporates both zuch and p/a which is really what I want to do.

Thanks a bunch for your input.🙃

• shllnzl

@silvertipgrizz Sounds good to me. Look at your sugar as pineapple is pretty sweet.

• silvertipgrizz

Yes on the sugar and thanks for mentioning that. My brain has a 'special file' for sugar lol rof.🤣