What Is Your Way to Wind Down After the Work is Done?

Linda Bittle
Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been spending these lovely last fall weekends finishing up the outside fall chores, and today I finally got the fruit trees mulched to my liking, with a mulched path to that corner of the yard. I also got the weed eater out and knocked down the tall weeds by the shed so that I can spread the remainder of the wood chips on the muddy area where I'll park until it's time to move the beast into the shed for the duration of the snow.

Luckily, I live in a small town and can walk to work, the store, the post office, and to church no matter the weather. But I don't drive on icy streets. I've never been a good driver, and now that I've lost the vision in my right eye, it just seems foolish to do it.

I don't have livestock, my cat is indoors, and my little dog is happy with a short walk or run of the yard a couple of times a day. Otherwise, he just runs out long enough to do his business.

I'm looking forward to weekends that I can spend more time doing crafty things and reading more. I want to learn to weave on my bargain rigid heddle loom, and pick up knitting again. And I write. I find all these things relaxing, and a great deal of fun. Plus, the yard and garden have kept me pretty busy this year. I'm ready for a change of pace!

What do you look forward to once the homestead is winter-ready?

Comments

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

More time for baking! Also I plan to take some Grow network courses, and finally organize my bedroom. I'd like to get back into embroidery, sewing, and painting, but we will see. Also would like to read some of my unfinished books- I have several on hold at once.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, and study a language. I started studying Japanese a couple years ago, and quit for a pretty good reason, but I'd really like to get back into it. I keep telling myself if I had just studied a kanji a day since the time I quit, I'd know most of them by now- but oh well. (Kanji is the Japanese pictorial alphabet- there are three alphabets- and there are a couple thousand Kanji characters.)

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

the biggest impact on my after work mood is my grandchildren. I once heard that a person needs 12 hugs per day... I wonder how many ppl actually get that many. But just one bear hug from my grand baby is all I need... one day I came home from a particularly difficult day (I’m a nurse) and my day probably showed all over my face and body language... I opened the door to hear “ MEEEEEEEMAAAAA!!” But then he quickly realized I wasn’t right and he walked up to me and hugged me so tight... all my day melted away in his arms... it’s not easy to open up your home to adult children so they can save for a home of their own, but I’ve been blessed beyond all measure with moments like this that make it all worth it.. I love brushing my granddaughter’s hair after her shower... so therapeutic! And she has such a sweet soul... I could go on and on about them all but they heal my 💗

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lmrebert What a precious photo!

• wbt.affiliates
    wbt.affiliates Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

I'm retired. So most of what I do is what i want to do. Some of it involves hard work, some of it kick-back time. I always have more projects going that I'll ever get done. And I LOVE that. Each morning I reach a chapter of Proverbs and spend some time praying. Yesterday I got all the chopped wood stored. Today I picked up the dog poo and put it in the trash (they come on Mondays). Tomorrow I'll rake the north side of the house, and wait until after the weather clears to rake the rest of the yard for mulch. I'm practicing my cello for our church's Christmas program. I'm working on a couple of baby quilts, one of which is an activity blanket (made from old jeans), do some copywriting, work on a couple of books (I'm an author of dystopian fiction), today I'll listen to new music (I sing in our worship band), and I'll work on a couple of courses I'm taking to better myself both as a copywriter and as an author. Each evening I read other people's works so that I can write them reviews.

Sometimes I clean house.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wbt.affiliates I have a retirement lifestyle similar to yours, keeping very busy. We are blessed to be able to do so.

I especially agree with your last statement = Sometimes I clean house.