A Favorite Quote-What's Yours?

merlin44
merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."-Marilyn Monroe. I love those wise words, maybe because they describe my life so well (LOL) and come from a totally unexpected source. What's a favorite quote of yours?

Comments

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost :)

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

"What cracker is this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath?" - Shakespeare, King John

"Cracker comes from the Gaelic, "craic", which means fun and music... and that is where the term "cracking a joke" comes from. As a Southerner of Irish descent, who enjoys telling jokes and stories and playing music, I'm a proud cracker in a long lineage of crackers, and definitely not insulted by the term... no matter how misguided another's understanding of its origins may be!

• jjocean
    jjocean Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

Most problems are problems with communication. The problem with communication is that it has not happened when we think it has.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

“Change, is the only constant in life” -Heraclitus

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

“When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.”

― Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Too many to pick a favorite, but here's one or two that came to mind.

"God, in cursing, gives us better gifts, than men in benediction"- Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh

I love this quote but I hate to give it without the context.

Get leave to work

In this world,–'tis the best you get at all;

For God, in cursing, gives us better gifts

Than men in benediction. God says, 'Sweat

For foreheads;' men say 'crowns;' and so we are crowned,

Ay, gashed by some tormenting circle of steel

Which snaps with a secret spring. Get work; get work;

Be sure 'tis better than what you work to get.

Aurora, the title character, is a young poet struggling financially. However, when she gets success she is unsatisfied with people's reaction to her work. She concludes that work, in itself, is often better than the results of that work.

I think we often feel( I do anyhow) that our lives would be better without certain difficulties, whereas God knows that we would be much worse as a person without them.

Now if I'm feeling cynical I like

"All of us are equal comrade, but some of us are more equal than others."- George Orwell, Animal Farm. Very quotable book.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

“We have met the enemy and he is us.”

― Walt Kelly

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

I love quotes and puns. This is my favorite quote. I used to share it on opening day of the Permie class I taught.

“My grandfather used to say that once in your life you need a doctor, a lawyer, a policeman and a preacher but every day, three times a day, you need a farmer.” (Schoepp, 2012)

• Owl
    Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

“Lord make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon, where there is doubt, faith...”

St. Francis of Assisi

• JaneMcTavish
    JaneMcTavish Posts: 26 ✭✭✭

My youngest (they are all adults and have been for some time) shared this with me when I was worrying,

" It will be fine, and if it isn't, we'll think it should have been".

Not sure where he got it but it helps !

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I saw this yesterday for the first time, not realizing that it was an old quote, until I got home and looked it up.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives."

Ralph Waldo Emerson.