whatever your challenges, most likely Not...

ines871
ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever your challenges, most likely it was Not 37 degrees in your home during the night leading to today.

True ?

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry.

I pray that whatever your heating problem was will be corrected today.

• ines871

This is our about 3rd year like this. Hopefully next year I can afford to get 4 windows replaced. Cheap house when it was built 20 years ago, & thus the window-seals broke 11 years ago & a friend said that was causing our heat-bill to be so high & most likely burnt-out the heaters, needing to be repaired. - Since we can't afford to heat the neighborhood, just 1 room in the house stays heated as a paralyzed person can not generate body warmth so that room stays heated. -

Otoh, I keep filling the kitchen sink with warm water, & wear 4+ layers of clothes during day, & we have lots of food, & a cozy/warm bed. - See God is good, all the time He is good. So @Mary Linda Bittle Thank you for your kind prayers...

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

God is good!

I went to the local thrift store and got old blankets to hang over the drafty windows, and that helps. When the sun comes out, I take them down to let the sunshine in, but they go back up at night.

• ines871

Because this house was Intentionally built to be a small school, the few walls are the center supporting ones, leaving the rest of the structure mostly Open... thus the blankets didn't really do much. - So I got 3/4 inch Foam boards backed with Aluminum foil that keeps the cold out (better than blankets), or the plastic on the outside which I've also used). - But it's not like the Double-pane windows would be. - So last night it was 37 inside, & the 3rd. night of 21 outside.

Another one good thing (of many) in the coastal PNW is that mostly any Brrr-freezing temps last generally barely a week, & we're half-way thru this little spell, so just pray it doesn't stay longer. By Monday night it's supposed to be back up to 30 outside. Here's hoping, & hope springs eternal 🙂 @Mary Linda Bittle Thank you for your continued kind concern.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I confess that with my hot flashes, warm blankets and a cold room sound like perfect sleeping conditions. (Not the getting dressed part, though.)

When I was in grade school, I had a small window that cranked open located right above my bed. I used to open it in Wisconsin winters, stick my bare feet out of the covers and go back to sleep. I don't think my parents ever found out about that, probably a bad thing from a heating perspective.

On a serious note, I wonder if the "space blankets" of the 1970s, currently know as emergency survival blankets would be of some use to you. They are very lightweight and reflect heat back at you. You can usually buy them for less than $10 each -- maybe you could find them at yard sales or thrift stores. I still have the ones that I bought in the 1970s, plus new ones folded for emergencies in our vehicles.

It is something to contemplate that things you bought new are now antiques. Photos from my childhood now have historical interest: I find myself looking at the backgrounds of those photos: cars, clothes, furniture, etc.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

@rainbow So sorry to hear of your difficulties. After my husband became paralyzed, I learned of various state programs and private charities that offer assistance specially for para/quadriplegics with housing and other needs. Is something like that available in your area?

• wbt.affiliates
    wbt.affiliates Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

@rainbow I'm also sorry to hear about your difficulties. We get a few times of no electricity living out here. I, too, wear at least two layers of clothing, and VERY warm comforters on the bed at night. We live in a mobile home, so when the electricity goes out so does our heat.

The blankets over the windows will help a little. I know from personal experience. We live in southwestern Colorado, where it's cold all winter. And the roof leaks. We need to save about $1000 to get it fixed. Not possible right now.

But we remind ourselves of the time we lost our business and our home and lived outside in these very mountains for six months. As expert winter campers, we needed to show the children how to stay warm and dry. It was a very cold six months. I remember praying all night many times that the children would be all right, especially when the temperature dropped into the teens.

My heart goes out to you. Sometimes life just isn't easy at all. Sometimes it's just downright HARD. I will be praying for you this week.

• ines871
    edited December 2019

@shllnzl Yes, ordered some "space survival blankets" from amazon; - but they were delivered to a friend in the next town, who then was in a car-accident, etc - so maybe we'll get them in Spring, lol

@merlin44 Yes, several programs exist, but at present we don't quality.

@wbt.affiliates Thank you for also your kind prayers, along with @Mary Linda Bittle . And guess what! - Yesterday another neighbor 4 houses down the road while offering us more Woodchips, also said he will be willing to help Dig holes in Spring for the foodForest. - So now I just need to keep them going...Alive for next 4 months. This is my 4th. year trying to Overwinter baby trees & Fruit bushes in the house.

Immediate need is to get the oil-Change done at the same time they do 150,000 mile Van check-up this week, in hopes of restoring the gas mileage from current 200, back to 350. - It used to be 400. So that's what prayers are going up for now.

Hopefully Everyone stays warm, & snug as a bug in a rug this winter

We had a tiger-kittee like this one, that I called Tigger... kinda miss her. But we can't afford pets right now.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbow I felt my stress evaporating just looking at those kittens. With your positive attitude, things are bound to get better.

• ines871

Thanks @shllnzl for noticing (like little ophan Annie in the movie), I stay positive...mostly.

Have never really acclimated to 'humanity' as it too often exists on earth. Mostly it is vastly different from the reality & potential & possibilities I perceive & know. (These are not the context of this thread). Yet it is the 'forbidden' that most reject that makes life the most difficult. Do you know what I mean ?

• ines871

Well, today the van passed its 150,000 mile check-up in Flying colors, YES! - So that with the oil+2 Filter changes was just $55. - Now to get the 3rd. Factory-recall on the airbags done, also free. Thank God. And thanks to everyone who helped pray 🙂

If only there was a Herbal remedy (lol) for dropping gas mileage, & raining inside the van in the middle of summer, etc.